How'd it go today?

Chris, what are you looking to spend on a skidder?

The guy i log for in winter has a 440 jd, really doesn't use it. Last we used it he just pulled around a chipper on a residential property. Hasnt pulled a hitch in a while, i know he just redid the rims on it. Looks clean.

Ahhhhh, a 440 isn't exactly what I have in mind. They're good old machines and have done plenty in their time, but Im looking for newer/bigger.

I hear ya. Seems there is a huge price difference from cable to grapple. Like 10k between the two. Think about a smaller skidder might be useful on tree jobs, and save on transportation. Id buy his jd as i have a skidder facination, though i have no use for it, or the money. :|:

Grapple or cable?

U play your cards right, you might just get B and I to come out there and run it for ya:D

Cable for me. Hand cutting and gathering with a grapple is tough in these mtns/hills. I can be done, as I have done it once or twice, but you really beat your machine up. Now if I was following around some kind of mechanical cutter, like a bellsaw or a hot saw that would bunch them all up for me, grapple. But on steep ground, and trees that remain where they land, cable. Some grapple units have a cable winch as well, but they can be more of a pain in the ass.

Let's do it. Give us your address. How soon you gonna have the skidder there??:D

I haven't found the right unit yet Cory. Ive been shopping for a bit. Missed out on a fantastic deal out of NY. I knew the original owner, and the last owner, and the machine got traded in on a new unit. Kleis Equipment was dumping the machine for what they paid for it. Both owners greased the heck out of it, it has new tires, good center pins, Cummins 4BT, brand new 30 ton winch, recent paint job, enclosed cab with heat. I got word that it ended up traded in and called on it and it was gone as fast as the dealer put it out on the lot.

If you plan to cut all the logs to length in the woods ie not skidding tree length. May pay to look at forwarders. You can work them on quite steep ground with a little planning to your skid trails.
Also keeps the logs clean. And you can load out trailers when needed. Which some times opens up cheaper trucking options than hiring a self loader.

Id rather not a forwarder. They have their place. I spent time working around a Rottne. I intend on skidding tree length. They struggle to get right up to the wood in a lot of places around here. The bunks try to flip.

Best cable skidder I ran was a late '80s Clark Ranger 665D with a Cummins, I got my eye on a local one in really nice shape. I think a tree service is not complete without a nice little line skidder.

A buddy in NH runs that same unit and swears by it. Clark were never overly popular around here. You know how that goes. Different brands gain different foot holds in different places.

Clark Ranger was pretty bullet proof back in the day, in Maine. Da french canadiens, ya, deh use ta beat da peese outen dem, an deh just keep go like hell.

Never ran a Clark that had anything other than a screaming Gimmy.
The 669D was a beast in those days working clear cuts.

A quieter motor would have been nice.

Looks a bit like this out there today. Problem is the top layer is ice, would make tree work brutal. Maybe ill grab moms snow shoes tomorrow and go hiking. Getting cabin fever less than 12 hours in.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 36
How much did you get? We got a good foot or so. I pushed the snow with the CaseIH 5250. Heated cab and an 8'bucket.:D

Have a little over a foot on the ground with the last storms few inches. Luckily my neighbor makes a couple passes for me, then i cleaned up some with the thomas. Yesterday i was pushing in some john deere hoe, smashing up curbs with a snow pusher in a parking lot ive never been in. Awesome.

Toooo much snow, B!

Willard, good vids! The sound of that machine brought back memories.

Back