How'd it go today?

Walnut doesn't pull much, so you can get away with a lot more. Maple and Oak will pull bad so ona high dollar veneer log you gut the hinge and bore the side thin if the lean lets you.

Nice log Fiddler. :)

Martin, our apprentice, had to defend his final project at the logging school today.
The students choose what field they want to do a project in and how hard/difficult they want it to be.
Martin had chosen to repollard a "left WAY too long between pollards" linden. There was no landing zone whatsoever, so he set up a horizontal zipline and transported all the cut material over a reed thached roof and away.
He chose to demo the Hitchhiker in both SRT and DRT mode while he was at it.
He priced and set up the job, with us working as groundies and pulled the whole thing off flawlessly.
Then did a complete description on paper of the whole operation, with strength factors and everything.
The whole thing was filmed with helmet cam amd from the ground and put together on a DVD.

He did such a great job, particularly on the written part, that Richard and I decided that if he didn't get the highest score possible, we'd lodge a formal complaint with the school.

No need to. He called at noon and said he'd come out top of this year's batch of students and with top score for his project.

He was really proud of that and so are we.

It is getting to be a tradition that our apprentices go out with top grades:)

Blimey, that sounds good, today my sort of apprentice dismantled a couple of small ash, I told him he had made a pigs arse of the job embarrassing both me, his wife, daughter and most of all himself! to be fair he took it in good heart.
Maybe I should work on some positive reinforcement.

Martin, our apprentice, had to defend his final project at the logging school today.
The students choose what field they want to do a project in and how hard/difficult they want it to be.
Martin had chosen to repollard a "left WAY too long between pollards" linden. There was no landing zone whatsoever, so he set up a horizontal zipline and transported all the cut material over a reed thached roof and away.
He chose to demo the Hitchhiker in both SRT and DRT mode while he was at it.
He priced and set up the job, with us working as groundies and pulled the whole thing off flawlessly.
Then did a complete description on paper of the whole operation, with strength factors and everything.
The whole thing was filmed with helmet cam amd from the ground and put together on a DVD.

He did such a great job, particularly on the written part, that Richard and I decided that if he didn't get the highest score possible, we'd lodge a formal complaint with the school.

No need to. He called at noon and said he'd come out top of this year's batch of students and with top score for his project.

He was really proud of that and so are we.

It is getting to be a tradition that our apprentices go out with top grades:)

Outstanding Stig. It's great to see something being put back into the industry :)

I don't understand, Stig... do you train people and then they leave?

When I worked for the state circus, I trained dozen and sendt then out in the world.

It is my great pride that each and everyone of them work in the industry today.

Our last apprentice decided to go over to the dark side and study to become a forester.

Martin isn't leaving. We have offered him a permanent job and he has accepted.

He is way to good to let go.

Great start for Martin, Stig. You have pretty much always spoken highly of him, as if one day he might surpass his instructor in ability. It's one motivation for an apprentice.

Stig, that is great news. Congrats to you all!

Short easier day today. Removed a small co-dominant walnut tangled around And leaning over some service wires. got a couple grade longs out of it but not much. It was a "favor tree" for the father of a guy who sold several good money trees. "bout a block up the road from where we were at yesterday.

Had observers stopping to watch constantly. Most parked across the street on a dirt road to watch; all stayed well out of the way and were no hassle at all. :)

Walnut doesn't pull much, so you can get away with a lot more. Maple and Oak will pull bad so ona high dollar veneer log you gut the hinge and bore the side thin if the lean lets you.

Nice log Fiddler. :)

Yep, sold several veneer logs this week.

Been having some good conversations through recent days on the worth of different logs. Trying to get more familiar with maximizing profit through my efficiency as a climber and feller as well.

Optimizing the value of what I cut and still being efficient as possible is having quite an influence on me as far as being a thinking climber so far. It brings another whole dimension to my work and I'm very much enjoying the challenge.

Stig that is so good to hear that over there people aspire and study to do our job. Over here it seems to be one step above prison!

I here that Paul! I would be happy to have the respect lawn guys get. In my city the majority doesn't care about proper pruning techniques, tree conservation, PHC, just cheapest price to get it down. They will pay $30 for a lawn service to cut their grass which takes less than ten minutes which amounts to aprox. $90 an hour. Many lawn services have no professional license to maintain, no worker's comp, some no insurance, and aren't taking the chance of getting killed. The other day I gave a lady a price of $725.00 to take a 90' pine with 24" dbh down next to a structure that will take most of my day including hauling off, clean up, etc.., I was too high she said! i feel like Rodney Dangerfield, " I get no respect"

I can't believe the lawn guys around here. Usually one single white guy, driving a late model 2500 to 3500 pulling any manner of nice trailer/horse trailer full of zero radius mowers and all their gear.

I can't believe the lawn guys around here. Usually one single white guy, driving a late model 2500 to 3500 pulling any manner of nice trailer/horse trailer full of zero radius mowers and all their gear.

They make cash majority of the time and have more than one job. Predictable steady work for the most part. It was tempting to me at times but I love trees, tree care, and climbing especially when weather is nice like it's been! Lawn care is monotonous to me.

Waiting on two to four inches of snow today. Our last regular day before our Christmas break. Probably just do maintenance and organize some wood. No sense rolling out the tree rigging in a heavy snow around here. To much risk of getting hit by some moron.

Those lawns people must do alright .Relatively new truck,nice trailer ,Dixie chopper mower,Honda hand mower ,Stihl blowers ,hedge trimmers etc .

I met one woman that does it too .About 35 ,blonde ,cute .Mows lawns and pushs snow ,does just fine at it .Better than working at Walmart.

Ice -- freezing rain here so day off as the jobs we are on are all on back roads. Boss may come up later to work on running lights on his big trailer. I'll help out if he makes it up here. "til then it's Banjo pickin' time! Probably check around on utility trucks for sale too; Been running my chip truck to work which is not optimal for this type of work.

Evey small window we've had to move the skidder South has been slammed shut somehow over the past week or so. Good thing every job we do in the little neighborhood/town we're in seems to produce another job after it. Signed contract on Four more Walnuts to do across the street from yesterdays favor job after they watched us out their window for several hours.

Back