How'd it go today?

I managed to spread a little pre-christmas cheer today.
I'm going to Switzerland for 10 days over the holidays, so I told my neighbour's daughter that she could use my car while I was gone.
One thing about living in the sticks, public transportation sucks.

Very nice of you Stig!
I did a "quick" removal of five 60' Locusts. Four went as planned, the fifth the HO got involved in and all Hell broke lose. A fifteen minute drop and chop turned into 1 1/2 hrs. She was in the way half the time telling how and where to cut and just way too close to the action. After several attempts to get her to go inside she finally backed off. If she wasn't 87 and spry as a 60 yr old I would have been irate. It all ended well, as she tipped us and sent us home with chocolates.:|:

Got a letter about a week ago from Echo saying I was one of the winners of a CS-355T-14 saw from a ballot draw at their booth in Charlotte TCI Expo! Arrived by UPS today.

Looking forward to your review.

That's funny, Husabud

My tour of once again being a tunnel rat under the house has came to an end .I got the support beam nicely resting on a 4 foot piece of 4 by 6 by 1/4" angle iron .It was all I could do to lift the danged steel in such a confined space but I got-er-done .

Finished topping Walnut we started yesterday and dropped it. Tied off butt to another tree to prevent hitting propane tank if she jumped. Never did but glad I tied it off anyway.

Went down the road to another and took some leads out of that w/MS460 & will drop tomorrow.

I seem to have a lot more trouble cutting straight with the bosses Husky than with my Stihls. Not sure if it's me or who is sharpening whose saw...:dontknow: Both times I've used his 395 I've ended up cutting slightly uphill, but the cut shows I didn't start out that way?

It will have a new bar & chain on it tomorrow so I will find out...Really got to get this one low to make a log. No room for a screw-up. 44" dbh walnut with plenty of root flare. :\:

I'd have finished it today but Boss couldn't find a long enough bar....:|:

My Husky bars don't last too long. They get a wire edge and I draw file it off, and then the next thing you know the groove is sloppy and you're cutting all over the place.

Thinking of shelving the little Echo until the flagships of the fleet (2 X 200T's) bite the dust.
I enjoyed the service of two previous Echo top handles years ago - think they were 30cc, but they gave their all, for sure. Were nice little saws esp. for pruning / limbing. Rubber vibration mounts were their Achille's heel.

Nice score.. Let us know how you like the 355. Still running my number 2 Echo.. Bought two at the same time. Little buggers are hard to kill. It's just the plastic that pisses me off a tad. :lol:

Got to use my new Comm Helmets from Ropetek this a.m. How did I ever work without them? Love the Kask helmet as well; most comfortable thing I've worn yet.

Put the big walnut right where I wanted it today. Used Boss's Husky with different longer bar and cut came out nice and level. Wow, $4k
for the bottom log, glad I got it right...

42" dbh. sorry but I don't for sure know the length. Think it was 12 or 14". I don't know the exact price he got for it but heard the buyer say at least 4k and it cut very good.

whew, it's been a while

DSCF0615.jpg

Forgot to score the hinge I left big.

nothin' like the PNW but large for here. i've flopped bigger but not to sell...new game for me.

Jay, did you notice the grain in that piece of stump, lower left corner?

You find fiddleback grain in the rootflare of lots of trees.
Since we usually cut the flares off prior to felling, in order to be able to make low stumps, I'll toss them in the truck for turning or slabbing into knife blanks.

The bottom 6 feet of that log if it has nice figure is likely worth as much as the rest of the logs .They use it for custom rifle stocks .

There's something about walnuts stability which I know little about that makes it superior for rifle stocks .I have a 4 foot walnut level I paid over 120 dollars for over 25 years ago .

Back