How'd it go today?

Took the young fellow out to assess and bid on a job today that has a majority of widow-making potential trees over and around a house in the woods... - two of the trees are fallen but hung in other trees, a heavy leaner with a dead hollow base, a partially uprooted over-the-wires, a shelf-fungus bearing, bone-dead snag, and one that is already barber-chaired at the base leaning tentatively into another, and except for the hollow based cherry, every one a tulip poplar. I wish my shoulder was back in order... don't like putting younger less-experienced climbers in harm's way.
Slow and steady and lots of rigging. No access for a crane, either. The last two of the eight trees are a no-brainer notch and drop to make way for an addition and a fussy prune of a feature tree.

two of the trees are fallen but hung in other trees, a heavy leaner with a dead hollow base, a partially uprooted over-the-wires, a shelf-fungus bearing, bone-dead snag, and one that is already barber-chaired at the base leaning tentatively into another, and except for the hollow based cherry, every one a tulip poplar.

that sounds really spooky man. Good work!

Been kinda busy the last few...
Pruned the large hazard dead out of this nice size black oak at a vacation rental... HO tractor assist :D
Whole tree was covered in large nasty... 4 ascents.
IMG_6251.jpg IMG_6253.jpg IMG_0031.jpg
Yesterday pruned out a couple little oaks for a customer. Had some broken tops and about killing themselves with shading. HH shined here.... Just moved from leader to leader and came out the other side with a base tie in.
Helped her view out some (more apparent had the air been more clear) from her front porch. IMG_0032.jpg IMG_0033.jpg IMG_0035.jpg IMG_0036.jpg
Then changed the pace and installed an access gate for a client :)
Felt good to have a break off saws for a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_0026.jpg
    IMG_0026.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 64
Igot back in tha saddle today after my f-up with the beech tree 3days ago.
Had a 4 foot DBH maple that had ½ its top broken off by the storm and the other half over a roof.
Got a local farmer to lend us a big John Deere set a rope with the bigshot and pulled it over.
Since our maple is a notorious brittle species that doesn't hine well, I went with both a block face and a german. First time I've ever done that, I think.
The tree had to go about 30 feet over before committing to the lay.
Worked perfectly and helped me forget my mistake and get my self confidence back.

I'm learning here. :D

Believe it or not, I end up dropping several big trees a year for local folks. They automatically assume (wrongly) that since I have a bunch of big saws, I know how to use them.

I will go look at the tree though, and if I feel that I can get it on the ground without killing myself, or any property, I will drop it.

Reading through some of the stuff you guys share here has helped me understand the reasoning behind the different notches and felling cuts. I'm very much a novice though, and pass on more trees than I actually cut.

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/s...izzy-WTH-(What-the-Heck)&highlight=block+face

https://www.masterblasterhome.com/showthread.php?17156-block-out-face&highlight=block+face

Those should help you out, Leon.

And for the record, I am speaking ( writing rather!) a foreign language.......................English.

Thanks Stig. Turns out I did know the block out face, just by another name. I'm assuming the german is aka the sizwheel? That's one I've never tried before. I think I'd better find a tree in a wide open field for trying that one the first time.

This is one I am proud of I did awhile back. Went out on some small tips that made me look like a total amateur hanging on to three points of contact and two tie in points. This was one healthy River Birch that we removed for the Landscape Architect who is replacing with two 20-25' Live Oaks. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384829965.167075.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384830000.644079.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384830023.606494.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384830052.946955.jpg

We rocked a double stem maple with three guys, got the third helmet jerry-rigged with the speakers and microphone for today. Worked perfect. Combo of 3 comm units, 1 Hitch hiker, 1 Belay spool with stretchy three-strand, and 7 Arbor Trolley loads of brush to make about 4 yards of chips, I'd reasonably estimate. Chunked wood down without incident. Scared a few things. Slapped one bush with a ziplined limb, but no real impact on the bush, but unfortunately the HO was watching. Brought up a funny Fluffer conversation over the comms. My chunk landings, scaring with breaking, made up for the BS troubles at the beginning. Half day $1200 job, more work to come. The maple was declining, and they are going to put in an outbuilding in its place for a better pump system for a Huge water feature coi pond. Erik has pics on his phone.

Exciting day in town:
A bucket truck parking brake failed and went into a storm pond while a bank robbery was going on. Everything in town was on lock-down while MD State Police Helicopter circled looking for suspects. — in Boonsboro, MD.

Glad for the tree service owner, no one was hurt and the truck drove away undamaged - just a BIG towing bill.

1410897_460347037407705_1965467859_o.jpg

1397484_460347214074354_1501488728_o.jpg

1402999_460347274074348_1873724397_o.jpg

1401944_460347327407676_2108978085_o.jpg

1077394_460347374074338_266085261_o.jpg

1398721_460347414074334_1367979624_o.jpg

1398368_460347464074329_1430043959_o.jpg

Just chilling today. green is in the rearview and I am going to contract a couple days in the next week or two with a local place while I get my crap together to move to Indy.

I told him how much I wanted on the phone last night and he was like well that sounds ok but lets make it $2 MORE... I was like hell, I'll bring the Arbor Trolley. I can feel the appreciation already!

The guy in question actually walked up on one of my jobs two weeks ago and saw Duane, an old friend. Well Alan was out bidding so Duane shows him the Ropetek Intercom Helmet System. He puts it on and comes into the back yard where he watches me self rig out some big deadwood and storm damage, he unties my ropes for me, flicks the line, little stuff while telling me how much he NEEDS someone and what a VOID of leadership he has... needless to say he was stoked when I called and asked if I could come help out, especially with all the storm damage of late.

I take it big green gets no notice?:rolleyes:

All ready to be back in the saddle after putting all the gear back on the truck. A very much needed trip to Vermont this past week visiting family first time since our move four years ago. Gram turned 90 still spry and healthy sure was nice.

Just chilling today. green is in the rearview and I am going to contract a couple days in the next week or two with a local place while I get my crap together to move to Indy.

I told him how much I wanted on the phone last night and he was like well that sounds ok but lets make it $2 MORE... I was like hell, I'll bring the Arbor Trolley. I can feel the appreciation already!

The guy in question actually walked up on one of my jobs two weeks ago and saw Duane, an old friend. Well Alan was out bidding so Duane shows him the Ropetek Intercom Helmet System. He puts it on and comes into the back yard where he watches me self rig out some big deadwood and storm damage, he unties my ropes for me, flicks the line, little stuff while telling me how much he NEEDS someone and what a VOID of leadership he has... needless to say he was stoked when I called and asked if I could come help out, especially with all the storm damage of late.

Nick, if you ever miss big green, you can come out to Nor Cal and sit in my truck if that helps, heck, might even let you drive it lol :big9:

Back