How'd it go today?

Removed a 32" dbh pine in a deck today. No cleanup, but still spent almost 7 hours in the tree. Huge extended limbs that had to be pieced out, then rig wood until the last 20' and bomb chunks into brush/tire pad. Sore now.

Checked in at TB for the first time in forever. Didn't post as nothing interested me. The main trend over there is incessantly fussing to perfect climbing set ups with new toys. Im convinced most of them climb trees for a living. Climb them that is, not remove them. The time they spend screwing around perfecting gadgets and trinkets in the tree, I spend banging out another job. I swear most of them are rec climbers and wouldn't know where to begin on a removal over a house. Maybe they'd get nervous and just start adjusting their climbing set up and taking pictures.

Thats funny chris. I had a boner for new gear when I started over ten years ago. Most is gone or sits ina box. Havent changed my climbing setup since 2006. All i change is the prusic cord. :)

Show me the tree, ill show you a stump, and you'll show me the money. NEXT

Seriously. Find a set up you like and get busy. I have said before and will say again that I think some guys become obsessive over gear because they think the next gadget will give them the confidence they are lacking.

Put your stinkin hooks on already and get up the tree and get busy. Show me some pics and videos of wood hitting the ground. Half the guys over there are deathly afraid to start a saw in a tree. I see videos over there of guys crankin away at 7" limbs with a Silky. Who pays these guys?

I must admit I really enjoy trying new tools/toys. However for it to make it into my work life it has to make my job easier or quicker. The only thing on my harness is a metal snap that I use to weight a rope so I can throw it and a steel biner so I can Ddrt my HH setup. Oh yeh I got my sidewinder lanyard too.

Nick, it does change things. I look at gear as overhead. I look for reasons not to send more checks out in the mail. I focus on putting money away for iron. Sending constant checks to SherillTree or whoever dips into that. You are in a good position at your company where your jobs are bid strong and you often have time to kill because the work is done. In that case, I can see spending much more time experimenting. In my case, I need to keep the ball rolling from one job to the next. I often am juggling the climbing, portions of clean up, interacting with customers, answering my phone, running over to bid work for the neighbor, etc. The last thing on my mind is playing around with more climbing gear. When my boots hit the ground, someone starts coiling my line and putting it back in the truck.

I guess I just don't get it. maybe Im dumb? At what point does a guy get comfortable and focus on producing? Why not focus on stepping up ones rigging game? At the end of the day, its all about money. Chainsaws and logs on a rope make money. Like I said, maybe I have blinders on? I probably do.

Nick, post 36742 wasn't a statement at you. It was a general statement. I just realized I posted it after you spoke and it would easily look like I was aiming right at you.

Used to be a big gear head, as many on here know. I've really cut that back the past year or two, after picking up SRT. I'll still tinker or buy some new gear every now and then, but when I do it usually has a positive impact on production. Like a knee ascender for example, makes ascents a breeze when combined with the Pantin.

Since I've cut back on the gear and focused on improving my climbing, production has gone up a good bit. Getting more comfortable in the tree, and being able to put brush on the ground quicker is way more valuable than spending a ton of time tinkering new gear.

And since I've gotten better, I've noticed we've been picking up a lot more big or technical removals this past year. The gehl has helped in that regard a lot, but being able to put it on the ground quicker has helped a lot as well.

Ha! Not far from me. Two yrs ago I was at a rigging seminar and met this guy Walter. Older guy for sure but was obviously there because he was looking to learn. Anyhow, when the seminar was over we were chatting and I asked him how old he was. "65" he said. Then I asked how long he'd been climbing. "3 yrs" he said. Goes to show that you're never too old to start something new. With that being said, I figure I won't be starting a saw rebuilding shop either.
I may be sending a 200t your way soon.

Back