How'd it go today?

Did you have tele handlers and/or Luhls to help you or was it all muscle power??

No truss roofs for us.......all stick framing. Most were 3 -4 levels with bastard hip roofs. We had strong young guys humping plywood up the stairs most of the time. I lived on the roof, yelling for wood. :D

I'm sure, but to this casual observer it looks like high reach AT material handlers have taken alot of the bull work out of it.

I'm sure, but to this casual observer it looks like high reach AT material handlers have taken alot of the bull work out of it.

We did some prefab apartment buildings years ago. We had Lulls on the job for that stuff. On the big homes though, they're not much help. No where to sit anything in, or on the roof......handy for sitting studs and the like on the floors, but for the roof not so much.

Cory, his style has affected my mentality. A few other mentors too. These men I speak of learned how to work a tree from day one. They made money over the years as a result. Some of their climbing set ups are outdated, but their knowledge of the work made them money that has far surpassed shaving minutes off of their ascent time. I think using modern gear is neat. I read Bonners threads and watch his videos and love it. More so then he knows. My point though originally was observing at the buzz, the great majority of those guys are hung up on mailing out $300 more dealers tomorrow because that will change everything for them. No, it wont. Scrolling down to the rigging and roping thread is where their careers will take off. These are trees. Not rock climbing walls. You can race up them in 5 seconds flat, but what you are capable of when you get to the top is what determines if you eat steak or cat food in life.

My old mentor only had one thing to say, when I told him I wanted to start climbing to supplement logging.

It ain't whether you can climb or not that matters, but whether you can WORK up there.

Finally got my firewood in order for the winter. Happy to see that I didn't wait to do it in the snow. Later in the day got a call from a gardner friend that a crane company he uses is swamped with tree work, their own jobs, and is looking for help. He knew that I would be interested and set up a meet with the owner of the company at their yard. The guy rolled in at five in a twenty ton. Old school type, I could tell. I had gone home and taken a shower and looked fairly presentable, I think. Said that since I have my own saws, he was paying $150 per day. Told him I needed $200, and tried to put it in an understandable perspective from my point of view. Couldn't come to terms, but parted friendly like. He said that if I would keep quiet about it he might want to slip me the two bills on jobs where he is in a jam. Keeping quiet is no problem, so maybe some work in the future. In the short term, a job is coming up next month where we will be using that crane company, so maybe the boss can want to rethink my fee if we work together for a couple days. It would be the first time, aside from one job a couple years ago when his son was the operator, I believe. They have a good reputation for working with trees, I know a few guys that use them regular for that. I find that most crane companies that do their own tree work, are a little rough around the edges compared to proper tree outfits that specialize in it. I got that vibe over there for some reason, so maybe just as well. Some things can get overlooked, some can't.

Speaking of saws I recently acquired a pair of Dolmar concrete saws dressed in Makita clothing .On the cheap which is my usual method .I got one running yesterday and need a coil plus a few incidental parts to get the other one going .I need a bigger shed it's getting kind of full .

That is a big saw Randy.8)

I need a bigger shed it's getting kind of full.

Mine's about to burst, can't even fit my last "on the cheap" buy in. It's living in my car.:|:

Wind is back and hot, at least it blew the smoke away. Ended up pruning shrubs even after I said no. She paid top dollar but what a crap job, sure was glad to get out of there after five hours.

Then rang the guy I was supposed to see about two trees to tell him I'd be late and he didn't remember ringing me last night.::?

The need for the big saw on this job was these beams. They were throughout the house.

Sorta dragging this thread off topic a bit. :/:

Here's a joint I was pretty proud of.

I've cut barn beams with the tool I had on hand,a chainsaw .Fact I used a 200T to fit in under an eave where nothing else could reach it .Circular saw,sawzall not even a handsaw .It came out okay .

Most of these joints were done with a chisel and mallet. The beam saw was mainly for rough cuts. After the painter touched up the edges these looked real tight.

Back