How'd it go today?

That log is probably close to 4500lbs that the loader has lifted. It wasn't far from capacity . On paper it will load 5200#'s , but I've loaded some closer to 6 with 3 people standing on the counterweight haha

I never slant a cut on crane work, so it's funny that was pointed out. I've got two friends from jersey that slant cut all of their crane work, I've just never seen the need

Finished a two day stint at a regular. Took some large hangers out of a few grey pines, mistletoe out of a live oak solo and Rob tied in some clearings we have done. Two more pines to go there next month and then I start cutting my next trail to a dead grey pine. Fun fun fun :) Got tipped 100.00 today :rockon: Have trails now made for the mini to extract wood for the HOs.

Wrecking Pines in the woods. I put an awesome slice in my chaps today. I've nicked them before but never a full on jam the chain with the stuffing. I'd have been fooked without them, but not a scratch on my thigh. The last tree of the day, tired and slinging a powerful saw on uneven ground. :|: Pretty long cut. Without the chaps, I figure maybe thirty stitches and no fun.

Me thinks you need to know when to stop :lol:

Were those your old chaps or the ones I recommended?

FWIW Jay... 066 is about 5 hours for me.... but I still listen to my body and my balance... If it cries uncle, I listen...
That $50,000 scratch learned me good.

Shit, Jay. That'll wake you up for sure.
Good thing it didn't go through the chaps.

Thanks. Still wearing the old forestry chaps, but they were quite effective with the stringy material that is inside, not kevlar. Still plan to get the ones you recommended, Stephen. Walking on one log while bucking another, lots of fat limbs to deal with and lower body in closer approximation to the saw with fatigue thrown in. Interesting perspective, Stephen, I know tired very well when using a larger saw, but never considered it to the extent that when you reach a certain point, you really shouldn't be doing it any longer, always just grind it out. Good safety rule when possible. The crane operator noticed me playing with the chap strings, stuffing them back inside. It was his job, and then he immediately called it a day. I guess he figured we all had about enough. It's a wake up, got up this morning thinking about it, a phantom sting in my leg.

Glad to hear the chaps saved the day, Jay. That's scary stuff. I have lightly nicked a pair of chaps once, and once when not wearing chaps cut a hole in my pants, and somehow didn't even touch my leg. I've been fairly lackadaisical about wearing chaps and need to be more strict about. Your little incident is a good wake up call for me too.

Stephen, which chaps exactly were you recommending?

I use the Husky full wraps. They run about $80.00 local. Nice in the bush.
Just happy you did not get cut Jay.
I took out a pair of chaps just as you describe. I was talked into just one more cut....Right after I stated I had enough cutting for one day....

I have labonville jobbers that wrap around my calves. Got them for $30 new when my local logging supply store got flooded last year or two ago. They had a little river dirt on them so they weren't worth anything in terms of retail.

On my hands and knees in the brush cutting a way in. Handle on my older 200T broke loose. Small saw, tight space. Picked up the Husky 455 with a 20" bar and proceeded. My little voice said too much saw and bar in too tight a space. Did it anyway and nicked my knee (no chaps) on spool down... nuttin major... Go to hospital, irrigate, get stitches and antibiotics..Antibiotics run out, infection sets in... Back to local hospital... They fear bone infection, send me to Stanford (very amazing expensive hospital) for further tests over my birthday weekend.. No bone infection, pumped full of antibiotics sent home. Local hospital initial visit... $1500.. Second visit $3000.00 .... Standford Hospital 3 day stay with tests... $50,000.00 I kid you not.
Moral of the story... $80.00 chaps are such cheap insurance.

Saw pants are nice. You only have to put them on once all day, no straps to snag on brush. Cooler than chaps and pants. Naturally, there are bulkier than regular pants alone.

YAY, PPE!

I got about 2000 board feet of logs hauled from my house to my neighbors' house. He has gotten his bandsaw mill up and running. I opened up a lot of usable space in my work area. I'm psyched about that.

Might put in a circle drive. I did find out my chip truck doesn't turn nearly as tightly as I had optimistically hoped. I'll consider changing our main driveway/ parking area into my work area, and the work area to the main drive. It will be a bunch of gravel work, landscaping and fencing, but a more intuitive area for our house approach, as our house doesn't face the road, rather it faces the wetland. It was here when this was all farm, before the street was developed with a dozen houses. It would put my work area right at the big doors to the pole barn (former tractor shed, formerly with big holes in an otherwise leaky roof when we bought the property).

I think that if you get impersonal with it and simply analyze what is going on with saws being used close to a body on a daily basis, it is pretty much just common sense to wear chaps or protective pants. Dangers tend to seem to lose their potential impact when very familiar with them, being there none the less. Not so much with chainsaws, but I have seen very experienced people get injured with other revolving blades. Familiarity is both good, and potentially bad when letting down your guard.

Just got my first set of chain saw pants. I really like them after the first day of use. Can't be any hotter than chaps in summer.

Our CDL is same as OK. Had to get Class A and Airbrakes for pulling chipper and driving big bucket. Need someone else in the department to get the license so I can take a break. You'd think after I took a vacation or two and they had to load all the brush, they would have have got tired of that.

Back