How'd it go today?

Felled some more dying grey pines the last couple days. Only had to climb one today, just to save us some grief of trying to clean it up on the side of a 2:1 slope and rocks, and save a few nice blue oaks below it. 40" DBH. Felled all the main leaders and dropped the spar in about an hour. Big sucker. Pulled several more over where we wanted them (out of the creek, rocks and poison oak preferred) and beat the heck out of my wedges on one in an arroyo (didn't feel like hiking back to the quad for pulling gear). They also really appreciated our efforts in landing the trees where they were easier to work on and burn. Then we did a couple dead hung up oak trees for them to keep the less experienced help from getting hurt. Got paid and we don't have to go back for a while... No cattle or horses were hurt in the process. All humans lived... a good couple days :lol:

B, if I do these these trees I will chain them at the split union, and most likely cinch heavy bull line across the top. I my opinion, chaining the lower end is good, but you still create pulling forces on that low area. Cinching the top of the tree together doesn't make me bullet proof, at all, but absorbs some of that energy before being transferred down to the naughty area. Ive been known in the past to tie off one bad side of a split tree with heavy bulline line, set a block on the opposing side of the tree and run that bull line across and through the block. The run from the block to a truck and snug up. Not tighten up recklessly, but just draw the line tight and take a little stretch out of the line. It tends to somewhat draw the 2 tops together (as much as I choose to draw them) and eliminates a lot of movement in the tree when rigging. Same effect as cabling a tree.

Of course, I chock the truck tires. On one of the trees I could bomb one side out whole into the yard but wont. I feel that just entirely too much activity to put on that tree at once. Plus, I like to rig split trees by lowering off of several redirects through both sides of the crown. Not just to spread the weight, but to keep all the weight off of one side of the split. The work side of the split is getting downward forces from the roping, but the opposing side of the canopy gets inward forces towards the center if rigged properly.

Im not justifying doing ugly work, but I am trying to make clear Im not haphazardly up there butt hitching big shots out of the tree with my head up my butt.

Fine working plan, and smart...as I know you to be, Chris. I trust your skills and experience, I really do...but your balls occasionally clank so profoundly that I can hear them clearly out here in Oregon, and play the semi-old, semi-wise elder and remark on occasion, and usually unneccesarily, too :).

As you were, my friend.

Tasmanian. 8)

Cleaned some cocas palms.:(

Then rang vermeer again as he didn't ring me. It wasn't in Brisbane, the freight company lost my shaft:saywhat:

But they found it again and it will be here next wednesday, maybe. Fair dinkum that place is a disaster.

Good stuff everyone, just catching up! Things are pretty humdum here, we havent had ANY days off for weather...Maybe 1 since January and 2 since I started last year??

It was a blizzard the other morning, total white out and they sent my crew on 'the hardest removal I ever bid' according to the salesman (3rd gen arbo with 30 years OTJ).. It wasnt that bad at all, just a heavy lean over the neighbors and a crappy drop zone. The other crew went out to prune a 55' DBH pin oak. Some times I ask myself 'really? in this weather??'

We sit home in weather like that and still get our 40. It seems like working in conditions like that takes increased risk of someone getting hurt. When people get hurt it costs money, I'd rather pass on stuff like that.

I agree: working in terrible weather just increases the chances for injuries and liability. It can wait.

Fine working plan, and smart...as I know you to be, Chris. I trust your skills and experience, I really do...but your balls occasionally clank so profoundly that I can hear them clearly out here in Oregon, and play the semi-old, semi-wise elder and remark on occasion, and usually unneccesarily, too :).

As you were, my friend.

B, don't ever stop remarking. You speak the truth.

Finally getting some good weather here for work. Finished a shrub pruning job yesterday, and picked up my machine and trailer. New tail lights on the trailer to replace the broken ones. Touched it up with some spray paint when I got home and gave it all a wash. Nice having good running, good looking equipment for a change!

Spreading a bunch of mulch today and tomorrow, then our crane job on Saturday, looking forward to that, and hopefully some big removals come Monday and Tuesday.

Zen day today... Just floated around a multi stemmed live oak and pruned all the mistletoe out of it. Feet never hit the ground until it was done. Just changing TIPs and on to the next stem.... Then removed a couple hangers from a pine. Burned all the slash. All solo... almost no noise save for Rob clearing out some woods and rocks about 1000 feet away. Just a really pretty and nice day of it :)
Tomorrow, more pine hangers on the same property. Wraptor will shine tomorrow.

Ooohhh...look at all that machinery...make me jealous!
My wish list is a tracked cherry picker and a chipper..., but then I'd need another vehicle

Thank goodness for large properties with farm hands, Just stack it, rake it and leave it!

Ha I've got that old 1950 Ferguson with a Davis industrial loader .It will lift a log about that size or larger .Maybe a tad over a ton but you can't steer the damned thing with a load like that on the front .

There's definately something to be said about articulated tractors .

Back