IMAG0172.jpg
[/IMG]

IMAG0177.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG00453-20110502-1545.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG00395-20110419-1401.jpg
[/IMG]

Yesterday I started making a fire place mantle out of ash which I seem to have an abundance of .

It's kind of a pain in the butt going through a number of rough cut boards attempting to match grain patterns then planing them down and cutting to size .Jay for one can fully relate to that .

So it's more of the same today on a project that will likely take me weeks to complete

I've built a few mantles, Al. One noteworthy one was out of some very exotic rain forest wood where the dust nearly killed me. Got to be careful of the heat if there is any exposure, it will break the joints. It must be a pretty wide one if you are gluing it up. Good luck with the project....love to see a pic when you have it done.

I'm wanting to make a mantle out of a big piece of cedar I have. I'm planning to work it down with broadax and adze. I'll post pics IF I ever get it done (and if it looks pic-worthy!);)

Wish I had gotten pictures today so ya'll could get a laugh out of my little job today. Got the Subway sign job done this morning. Took longer to drive to and from and set up than do the job.. LOL Three locust limbs (ouch) lowered and swung out to a road off a building. I normally don't work Sundays, but adding the permit for Cal Trans (350.00) another saftey man and possibly a off duty Sheriff was just not in the budget, nor was clearing out a black berry patch and hucking all the brush up three flights of stairs and two ramps. Soooooo Nija style it is done, and the client is tickled. Came home to find out we got a black oak reduction up the street for Monday :D
Had the new baby sitter today, another tree guys daughter from just down the street, watch the kids and she and the kids hit it right off. Katy will be home from work at a reasonable hour. Need to go slap a new fuel line on the Wraptor. Life is good today :)

This is not a solid wood mantle .It's basically two pieces of 3/4" ash routered out with an double ogee on the main pieces with small raised panals on the face of it ,about 6 inch thick .11 1/2 " at the widest spot 10 feet 10 inchs long

I have some 12" ash but it's about 6 inchs too short plus it's buried under a couple thousand board feet of stickered lumber .There are also some 12 inch cherry planks clear in the bottom of the stack .Since about all the wood work in that room is ash I kinda thought it would look out of place .

Well it went okay today I guess except the router bit backed out on me on one piece so I'm going to have to do some repair with wood filler .Chit happens .:(

Productive day today. Got the new sides for my trailer built, and had an emergency call come in. Big sugar maple, two leads, splitting down the middle. Cracking and popping as I went up, got her strapped together nice and solid, relieved some weight. Going back this week to finish her off.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347237348.861316.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347237361.788502.jpg

After working on my deceased Mother-In-Law's house since November 2011, I finally got it to a point where I could put a "for rent" sign out front a couple of weeks ago. Tenant's signed the lease today. Move in on the 15th.

Now I have to finish my "short list" of things to do and get all my tools out of the garage.

It will be a busy week but I can get er done!

I haven't been this busy in a few years, don't know how long it'll last so I won't say anything.

Big week last week so I had the weekend off and just did a bit around the place. Easy day today, just a couple of stumps and a supermarket stop to stock up. Good job lined up for tomorrow but I'll be buggered when I get finished, about five minutes away luckily.

I am mourning my favorite 460. It was given to me by a good man in Florida. I was falling big fat wolfy cedars this weekend and mid buck, it made a short rachet noise and shuit off. I fear something snapped.

I'm gonna take the jug off tonight. I'm hoping the circlip busted off. Plug color is ok, I can turn the motor over to a point then it locks up.

Back