How'd it go today?

Brendonv, I would cash the cheque she probably will never call you back anyway. Can't please ALL the people all the time. Doesn't make you a bad person, it was just a miscommunication and these things happen, I would just move on and call it a learning experience. Some people are talking apples and we are hearing oranges.

Brendon,

I guess no signed , written contract.

What would it cost you to grind her stumps while you are grinding others, and pop in a couple of tiny trees, and cash her check? A lot of clearance trees this time of year at home depot.

No worries after that, with minimum expense. At pnw-isa last yeast, Dr John Ball suggested canopy raising over thinking for early and late day Sun over thinning/ punching holes in the canopy to get the beefed'ç light for turf ( of course mulch as option 1 in the crz).

I typically always do a contract, but it was pissing down rain when she mentioned it at the end of the lightening tree take down, I wanted out of there. So I shouted a number, wrote it down before I started the truck, and left.

I feel better now though. I did the second job for the super nice lady, she wanted to pay me more, and she said she feels like my grandma. LOL

I might rip it up and send it back to her in an envelope.

On the way home I got a call from animal control. I rescued a cat in the woods, got paid, and had two news papers there taking pictures/information. Cool!

That's kinda what I'm going for.

I'm sorry my apologizing for the miscommunication did you no good, here's your lousy money back. Have fun on vacation.

Good end to my day here, rescued a cat about 40' up a ash tree in a really nice, private neighborhood with some amazing views and trees. Got tipped very nicely, sold a job while there, and he's gonna pass our name around. Beautiful neighborhood up in the mountains or hills I guess here lol. Be a great in if it works out!

Brendon, cash the check. Many of us are guilty of undervaluing our skills and services. The car repair guy or the plumber would still get paid in a similar situation, but yet the tree guy always wants to give himself away for free any time the customer makes a mistake. But if you really want to make a point and rub it in her face, then cash the check and tear up the cash. THEN return the torn up cash to her in an envelope.

Maximalist- that's a very cool picture. :thumbup:

My day went well. I think today was my best money day of the year and I never got in the bucket. I hired in a crane to do a big removal that I couldn't access, and used the crane guy's preferred climber instead of doing it myself. I worked on the ground and made the stump cut, then I delivered a load of firewood logs in my trailer while the rest of the debris was picked up by the 50 yard Prentice loader truck. Not a bad day but I still prefer being the guy doing the cutting.

Cash that check. Quickly. Mistakes happen. Even the best of us hiccup at some point. If she was receptive in some way to your apology, id say to ice the cake and show her that you are a man of integrity. However she is set on pouting and being angry. Giving her the money won't change that. If she wanted the money she would have held the check. Let her mope, cash your check that you worked for, and move on.

I strive to please people that look to be happy. When they make it clear that they prefer to be upset, I say frig em and take my show elsewhere.

What Chris said is 100% correct, let the miserable stay miserable. Nothing you could have said would change that client's mind IMHO. There are resonable folks and then there are the unreasonable. I prefer to keep the reasonable folks, and be rid of the unreasonable. You already bent over backwards apolizising and enough is enough. You seem to be a better man than me, after she wasn't receptable to my apologies I would have said a polite goodbye and clear out leaving her money behind. I have no time for BS.

I used someone's Timberwolf wood splitter yesterday, seemed like a very nice performing machine. One thing that occurred to me, is that you need to move the throttle up to take advantage of the greater power when the cylinder is in the splitting cycle, which keeps the rpms raised all the time. When loading on wood and whatever besides actually splitting a piece, you don't need those rpms. Can't the machines be made so when you move the lever forward it raises the engine's revs, then when you move the lever back the revs drop? Is there some impracticality with that? Is that the way all machines operate, higher revs all the time? It seems to waste gas and maybe adds wear and tear on the engine.

I agree cash it the work was done. I do like the idea of plant a few for her. I cut a woman's hammock tree three weeks ago. Pure typing error, but signed what do you do:shrug:
Feel bad of course but move on.
Reclaimed a property today found brown recluse hatchery in the old nasty wood pile we moved. And learned a new trick with a ladder for moving chunks
Load number 2 for the loader.
4b5b636e-0539-e41b.jpg

Yeah, Brendo...last cat rescue I did was with a pillow case, can of tuna and an opener! I just butter em up with my voice and then BAM into the pillow case. Though I can certainly see the benefits of the kit you have. Thats the most pro looking cat rescue I've seen!

Oh, and that is some serious exterior finishing on that last house in your set of pics, Maximalist! Nice work.

Great Press, Brendon. Good work. Cat rescues are rewarding. Often some drama from bystanders, which sometimes in hindsight is pretty funny, even if a bit of a weird distraction while working up the tree, and working the cat. People are sometimes much more excited and appreciative about a cat rescue than a tree job, and make good future customers.

No. Last one I did was with a cat carrier. First cat I'd done in a long while. I lifted the cat carrier over my head, cat climbed right in, down it went (after it climbed for another 35' to near the top of the fir). Otherwise, ultimately, I hand stuff the cat in to a backpack (the first half, the head and front legs, is easy, while the tail and rear legs takes a bit of encouraging). One time I had to use a fishing net, later to be replaced with a wire crate that's lined with a towel ziptied on a fiberglass extension pole for a cat at the very last whorl of a cedar.

Back