How'd it go today?

Ha, I used to see drunk people all over the place at night in certain parts of town, salary men stumbling around with their neckties tied around their heads like stressed out samuarai warriors going into battle again the next morning. You don't see it much these days, still a lot of would be drunks, but less money to pay for the drink, and companies have much tightened up their expense accounts.

Today, Had two trees to take down, on a council contract, pushed for time. 1 Sugar maple, medium size, done and chipped by 11, most of the wood loaded, then a big oak, over a fence, no real good rigging point... So I do the oak while the log guy is picking up the last of the maple wood with his old loader. 3 pm comes, got maybe 3 more cuts for the brush on the oak, when the ground guys say pack up the bucket, Condo is in trouble.

The ground guys both had 38 missed bloody calls on their phones. He'd been trying to contact us for 1 1/2 hours! The loaders pin had snapped in the middle, he was stuck helpless. He was only 5 minutes away. So we take the bucket, and very carefully rig the loading grab onto the back of the loader, so he can make it home. Bloody 2 hours wasted. Ah well, no one got hurt in the making.

Attachments

• IMG_0060[1].jpg
    IMG_0060[1].jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0061[1].jpg
    IMG_0061[1].jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 21
That's foreign to me Jay. Its cool how different cultures are. Dudes can't be calling home here and proposing a sleep over if they live close by. That just screams monkey business.

Hey Burnham, know about any jobs near Bend with the FS? Amy's entertaining a FS pathology position that is opening and is submitting a resume. USFS pays way better than WaDNR, and I suspect WaStParks. I kinda like snow and sun, and Smith Rocks climbing.

Sean, I don't know of a specific position, but on the Sisters Ranger District (Deschutes NF), there is a particularly active silviculture ops group that does a lot of tree climbing project work for other units around both Region 6 and 5 (WA/OR and CA, respectively). Those are seasonal jobs, for the most part, however. I know the silviculturist who runs that group, she's a good climber and instructor herself, one of my students from years back. We can visit about details at the ITCC in Portland, assuming we cross paths, as I hope to do :).

Amy must be aware of how to search for possible openings, I suspect. But if not, you should check out the USJobs website and do a search. You'll want to figure out how the site works to narrow your search parameters down to geographic area, position type, and perhaps agency...otherwise it's likely overwhelming.

http://www.usajobs.gov/

I might have been better able to find out about possibilities if I was still employed with the agency, lacking intranet access cramps my info gathering abilities significantly.

My thought as well...USFS has had a pretty poor rep on that score.

Frequently that's because there is inequity in the amount of responsibilities assigned to a particular grade, compared to other federal agencies. Similar stories abound for comparisons to state agencies, too.

How'd it go today? Well, the day isn't over yet, but not so good so far.:lol: I'm currently stranded 45 minutes from home with my fifth blown front tire on this stupid truck. I'd like to know what causes habitual tire breakage. Different brands of tire. I don't drive the truck hard, but it rides like hell no matter how slow you go.

Ok day today I guess. Rented a mini to knock out some jobs, and come to find out the BMG hoses don't fit. No biggie, just used the bucket for wood and a short piece of rope to drag brush. First job is totally finished, and the other two are down to big trunk wood that we're waiting on until the new Gehl gets here. Both were storm clean ups and the clients were more than happy to wait a week or so, since both are on farmland. Just wish people had more common sense, some problems came up today that were easily prevented with a bit of common sense.

I am on vacation this week.
Somehow I got the idea of painting the kitchen ( First time in 18 years, so way overdue) and replacing some of the closet/ shelves.

Some vacation!

Savor the times working on your own place. I wish I had enough time between work and my young family to finish my house. Besides Stig, with your talent it will be perfect and take no time at all. Enjoy.

Chipper chute (BC 2000 Vermeer) plugged on Monday after we threw in an armload of willow twigs. When we dropped the access door on the underside of the chute, we found this surprise. It was a plate that had been welded to the infeed side of the chipper to help with feed problems soon after it was purchased, as suggested by Vermeer. You can see a blade nick or two in it and the resulting damage to the blades. The odd thing was none of us heard it go through the chipper drum. It must have been right on the tail end of the last log we put through it. As it turns out it did little damage except to the blades. We put in a new set and ran another 8 trees through it on Tuesday with no problems. I guess it is a tough old bird, like me!!!

100_0823.jpg

Climbed some trees for Harlan, started working on my firewood conveyor I have sitting in his lot. Sold a load of split firewood when I got home, people are starting to get the fever, have another to deliver tomorrow after work. Now it's raining like a mofo, never seen this yard this flooded.

How'd it go today? Well, the day isn't over yet, but not so good so far.:lol: I'm currently stranded 45 minutes from home with my fifth blown front tire on this stupid truck. I'd like to know what causes habitual tire breakage. Different brands of tire. I don't drive the truck hard, but it rides like hell no matter how slow you go.

Need a ride? I can be there in about a week or so!

I was on the roll to a high dollar, multiple job day, when the vacuum pump burst in my chip truck. Literally, the bugger burst. We were 4 minutes from the auto parts place so I wasn't phased. Until I found out id have to have the pulley pulled off the old pump and pressed into the new. My mechanic had the special tools to do it. But that crushed the idea of squeezing another job in. Oh well. Tomorrow. Could have been worse. When a diesel truck breaks and it only costs $100 bucks to fix, its a victory.

Heck, it costs me more than $100 just to change my own oil. That was definitely a cheap fix.

Got some disappointing news today about a big $5000 job I sold 2 months ago and was supposed to do next Monday. I called to make sure everything was still on and that they had the dumpsters for the concrete. The guy didn't answer my call but 5 minutes later had one of his flunkies call me back to tell me they were doing it in house and didn't need me. This was for the landscape outfit that has me doing the palms out at Disney. Might be the end of that gig for me.

Back