How'd it go today?

Instead of wedges, I use a ripping chisel.....

c58e997b.jpg

I have one I keep in the truck with a lanyard attached. On the big white oak Carl helped me on last year, I used it to tip those big chunks, the biggest of which was ~1650# by our estimation. I made the face cuts approximately 1/2 way through, then back cut pretty close. Put the saw away, stuck the pry bar in and tipped them right over. If you desire, you can stick it in while cutting, sort of like a wedge, to keep the chunk from setting back on the saw. I had no problem at all tipping those over and they were ~24" and 8ish' long.

Whutcha drive it with? I have a wedge fixed similarly, but I find the pry bar easier to deal with...no need for a hammer or other driving implement. I drilled a ~3/8" hole through mine, about in the corner of the square where yours is drilled, then drilled a 1/4" hole in from the side so it intersects the other hole. Push the cord in from the side, tie a knot, and it pulls inside the wedge, allowing it to be driven all the way in if need be.

We laugh ALL day long on my jobs. We work hard, we take the work as serious as a heart attack, but we use laughter to make it a good environment. It's pulled us through some horrible jobs, keeps us from hitting heads, and makes my jobs a comfortable place to be. We don't joke for one second about safety and professionalism, but the rest is fair game.

One of two days off in a row because of my screwed up work .Did get a lot done .Changed all the filters on the RO water system including the RO element .Like a dumbass I thought the things were good until they plugged .

Then I decided to look at the book and it says one to five years and it's been 12 ,oops .

Other than that weedwackers ,chain saws ,a lawn mower .All tuned and ready to go .Sometime I need to look at a big oak a guy wants me to flop .They get over about 18" -2 feet most homeowners get a little gun shy .

Was not wearing my handsaw...I used to all the time but have been weening myself off of it on removals. I wasn't using a biner, that was a pear link. Thanks for your good comments everyone :)

Cool, wasn't sure. :thumbup: When I voice concern, just worry about peoples safety is all :) Great vid and I love how you laughed off the rides :)

Jeeeeeez Justin, they came out the wood work on ya :lol:
Remember that one guy that would only have someone with a bucket do it I talked about not long ago. I ran into Andy that I referred him to. Andy told me the guy thought he was too expensive and Andy's bid was not real far off mine. We both gave him a chipping or not option. What a tool. Glad I did not get the job. Like I said before.. I have better clients that pay me what I am worth and what he is worth with out a second thought. Don't need tools like him in my books... ;)

Some humor seems to go hand in hand with tree work. Cool to have some jokester on site that is about your own speed. I guess I'm lucky that way, and as he gets even older I can take more advantage. :lol:

That had me wondering as well.

I hope it wasn't like the one I did where the guy hung himself, that wasn't nice.:(

Another do it your self chipping job today.:roll: Third one this week, drove away from the first. He rang and said "did you just come and drive away"

Things might pick up again next week.

I prefer to undercut the COG, when safe. You can keep a slightly thicker hinge.

I always carry a handsaw. There are too many times where you can probably get by with cut and chuck with a one-hand chainsaw move, but probably and chainsaw are a bad combo. As well, running out of gas on the partially cut top, or other part, is no bueno, often times. Roger B reported some bad tree service up this way had a groundie (unnecessarily) come under the tree for a saw to refill when the climber ran out most of the way through the cut. The chunk released during this process, falling on the groundie, killing him.

A bound saw from too aggressive of an undercut on a drop cut, pinching the chainsaw, is easily remedied.

Good video, Tarzan. Cool to see Montana. Which part are you in?

The cable guy was out .Not Larry the cable guy though .

It seems the city dug through one of the cable companys main lines,fiber optic and caused all kinds of problems .Our modum was screwed up as well as a conflict between an older amplifier and a newer HD box .

I played tunnel rat and got down in the crawl sace and helped him fish in new wiring which is better than the old style rg -59 coax they used in the past .It's all fine and dandy now .

Wow I really underbid our job for today!! I put $750 on a TD so even thought I might need to put a small job with it. First time I can remember that we didn't finish the job I had planned to do!! At 2-30 the chip truck was full , back yard tree too, and we still had a third of the canopy left to go. My ground was having a bad day for some reason cussing and throwing brush etc. and it was hot so I decided to call it a day.

Wow a 2 day $750 tree:|:

Good video, Cody.
You running out of gas at that moment just before the top went over sure cracked me up.

I usually have two groundies on every job, so I'll agree with Dave ( had to happen eventually:lol:) about the tagline.

Not much good with one groundie, though, and an inexperienced one at that.

He almost turned you into a Codyshake.:)

Back