How'd it go today?

I have very strict rules about borrowing and loaning stuff; I will NOT loan out the tools I use to make a living with. No way. I won't loan anything to anyone who can't afford to replace it if they break it. I won't borrow something unless I can afford to replace it if I break it.

I'll loan tools on occasion, even saws, but I get kind of antsy until they get returned. There are some folks that I am pleased to loan to, more like tight friends that I might also want to borrow from on occasion.....pullers or such.

I just had to fire up the AC to cool off the house. It was 80 inside and I'm sitting here sweating in shorts and t shirt. 13 years in this house and this is the first time I ever fired up the AC on Christmas.

It's weird weather that's for sure. Coldest start of summer in 51 years they reckon, I would have lit the fire last week except I put everything away two months ago.::?

I don't lend. I'll do the job for someone but I won't lend anything. If they don't like it bad luck.

"Neither a borrower nor a lender be; / For loan oft loseth both itself and friend."

Had a person call today who had a Tree on a House.I told them straight up that I wasn't interested in the job.Then suggested other companies,they went mental.

I don't care.I choose who I work for and when I work. My Company is a private enterprise,not a Public Service.

So, you don't remove trees from structures? Really? It must be nice to pick and choose. That's actually one of the easier aspects of this work, especially when a crane is involved.

Yes Butch, it is nice to be able to pick and choose your jobs. Even nicer to be able to pick and choose your customers. Easy enough to do when you always have work waiting. Sounds like he made the right call based on their reaction.

True.. If I refer a prospective client to another company, they are usually grateful I can refer them to someone they can trust to do the work proper. I think they figure if I have a good rep, I am going to refer them to someone that will also. And that runs true.

Yes Butch, it is nice to be able to pick and choose your jobs. Even nicer to be able to pick and choose your customers. Easy enough to do when you always have work waiting. Sounds like he made the right call based on their reaction.

If you want to be successful I think this is one of the most important points about this business, and other similar businesses for that matter.

Actually, I was just amazed at a treeman not removing a tree from a house, that's all. Seems kinda... odd.

Boxing Day here today, went out and bought new kitchen appliances to go with the new kitchen.

An older guy that I used to do tree work with, brought me a couple saws to get checked out, one the starter rope was slipping, and the other hadn't been run for quite awhile. I got them back in good shape and when he came to pick them up, he said that he would just as soon give the larger one to me, since it hardly ever gets used and I would take care of it. I hadn't really payed much attention to it, just tuned it up, it was so grungy. I started cleaning it up and found a beautiful saw beneath the crud, and it starts up and runs sweet. It appears to have not seen much use in it's lifetime. I stuck a 24" bar I had on it, now ready to rock and roll. 038 magnum, I should be able to get good use out of it. Al gave some tips on opening up the muffler, and I just put it back together today. A little heavier than an 046, but a nice compactness to the model, and lots of torque. I've always liked this series with the rounded filter cover, and am much looking forward to using it. :)

Attachments

• DSC_6713.jpg
    DSC_6713.jpg
    412.6 KB · Views: 11
Nice Jay! Might give me the incentive to put the one I got a spell ago back together. That means spending some coin on it as it is missing a few things I.e. Chain brake handle,pull cord housing and guts, plastic carb cover and the top of the throttle/grip area with linkage inards. If anyone has these as spares pipe up please.
Plenty of grunt in that design.
I like the

I spent the day splitting firewood for a friend.
He has been hit by a bad spinal disc herniation, one arm is lame ( temporarily, hopefully) and he can't really do much.
His only way of heating the house is by firewood, so i cut the wood a month ago, My wife and I transported it out of the woods and today a friend and I split it.
I hate to admit this, but I'm getting to be too old to just swing a maul for a whole day and not feel it afterwards.

I'm pretty sore right now, even after soaking in the hottub.

Back