How'd it go today?

Poor planning I guess. We have not had much rain and it was pretty dry a couple weeks ago. Springs were feeding it just fine though. Just when you thought you had a dry place to put a foot down, you were in a foot of water.:|:

Nice story, Paul, and a good looking fella. Don't quite understand the need to pet it, but each to his own.

It had been tranqu'ed, it basically needed a slight push to gets its sleepy head off the truck and down to the ground. no way you could get that close or casual with an alert bear ;)

I hate storm work. Especially when you don't get enough sleep & have to rush into work this morning to fix a hydraulic leak on the knuckle boom :(

Off to the processor today. Tree work is down to a day to day outlook. Work is still coming in, but its spotty. It seems the other tree rats in the area are winding down as well. Soooooo, Ive been filling in these down days on the processor. We are moving firewood like its heroin. Ive been delighted. The processor owner and I re-neg'd the deal to 70/30, me/him. This is panning out well so far. I figure Ill stay at it on that thing until January and then go jump on a month of municipal road clearance. This is my first winter that Im not terrified of.......

It should be ok hopefully my chipper should be up and running but I won't be able to pick it up until tomorrow. I have to get some more wood on the ground and then cipfest the rest of the week.

Good news there.

I've been sitting around since last wednesday, it's been raining and no calls except Yellow Pages and their crappy opposition.

Couldn't rain at a worse time, things die next week anyway. I've got one job clearing some power lines if it's fine tomorrow.:(

I hate storm work. Especially when you don't get enough sleep & have to rush into work this morning to fix a hydraulic leak on the knuckle boom :(
Hydraulics are always going to have leaks unless they are brand new and you don't use them. I've gotten pretty good at tracking and fixing hydraulic leaks in the last several years.

Any piece of equipment that has a lot of movement will in time destroy hydraulic hoses .It's just a fact you have to live with . It seems the main high pressure lines hold up fairly well .It's the low pressure control lines that fail

The clear plastic lines are the most common type used .Probabley a better choice although nobody uses them might be the blue stuff made by Parker -Hanifen .

Rambling on the Parker stuff uses quick connect type fittings which probabley are better than the standard compression connecters .More expensive I'd imagine but perhaps a thought to try and get some more run time in between changing the freakin lines when you'd prefer to just be disassembling a tree rather than wrenching on a damned old truck .

Al, for the low pressure lines I find the brass screw-together couplers sold at Lowe's or Home Depot work just fine. I keep a half dozen of them on the truck at all times.

Yeah ,Tom has an assortment of them plus a roll of plastic line too .

Some time he's going to have another boom restrung and tested and probabley try the better quality lines just to see if it makes a difference .The Hi-Ranger booms he's using now have gotten old enough they can't be recertified so it's time to replace them .

He's on his way to Atlanta today so it's hard to say what he might drag back with him from the auction .I will have to say that last ex Davy truck has been a good one for him .

our bucket truck is constantly springing leaks, and not just because careless employees keep banging it into trees:|:.

i went back to work yesterday after four days sick last week. boss showed up on the job, took one look at me an told me, "dont come back tomorrow". so im off today. going to deliver $1200 worth of tap handles to my buddies brewery. gotta keep the money comin one way or the other.

Strange day for me.

I've had sort of a rash near my groin since spring. Figured it was some sort of fungus, so I treated it with fungicide.
Didn't work.
Today I finally got my shit together and went to see a doctor.
Not fungus, borelia!

So I'll be ingesting huge doses of penicillin for the next 10 days.

Then I went to work.
High winds, so we decided it was getting a bit too exciting to fell large beech trees and moved into smaller ash trees.

While I was bucking an ash top, I was hit and flattened on the ground.

Apparently the tree I felled the ash alongside had it's top broken partly by the ash.
Then as I was working underneath it, the wind broke the top over.
I was saved by the fact that it was still attached to the stem and hit the ground about 6 feet ahead of me and splintered.
So the ground took the brunt of the hit, I only got the residue.
Still whacked me hard enough to bring me down and scatter my helmet and earmuffs all over.

Scared the daylight out of me, to tell you the truth.
That split second when you're hit, but don't know how hard. Which is why i didn't take a picture of it, I was so spooked it didn't occur to me until later.

Two bruised shoulders is all I got from that, sometimes one gets lucky!:)

Damn, Stig. Watch out overhead...how many times have we heard it...how many times have we said it to the youngsters?

Take care.

I'm about fit to be tied right now.

My new gearbox which arrived yesterday and I prepped for install this morning, all new fasteners, mounted the hydro pump, yada yada. Well the whole thing is about 1/4" to long. Ok made up a bracket, I'm satisfied that it will all work fine still. Now to get the gear 'lash' set properly I have to fine the 'high tooth gear' on the bull gear on the house. Not anywhere you'd think that it would be, also the 'eccentric' ring that adjusts the gearbox forwards or back by rotating it is solid in it's place. I'm stopping for some lunch and to kind of calm myself down a bit. On top of it all of course it's freezing here. Fun times, fun times. I'm sure I'm going to need tomorrow to have everything sewn back-up.

Tore 2/3's of the floor out of a bedroom, 3/4" plywood HEAVILY nailed onto 3/4" hardwood floor. One 6" area had 3 3" screws and 14 2 1/4" nails. Fun times! Tomorrow I get to put the level on everything, cut the floor joists down, sister on new ones and re-deck it. I've done everything I could to avoid this job, it didn't work!

Similar boat as Andy's for the past few days....

I've been tearing out our dining room floor just so I can finish demo in there. The floor collapsed after Irene and has been sinking since then, so I have basically had to cut an entrance into the floor and tear it down from waist level as I walk through the mud and water under it. Thankfully I can cut the joists out one at the time as they don't span the entire length under the house. Once I finish getting it out, I need to start jacking up some sections and shoring it up to replace dry rot/termite damaged wood. The issue of the water on it/causing it to collapse, was not helped by the fact that there was a layer of particle board on top of the flooring panels, as well as 2 layers of linoleum and 2 layers of carpet.

History on the floor/the house.
It must have been some panel system for an early "modular" as the house was built in the 1940's and then split in half when the city of Norfolk took over the land from what was then war-time housing and made it into public residential land. and trucked it here to town to become millworker's housing. It was 2 layers of 3/4" plywood with "firring strips laid down and insulation shoved between it.

Today, I took the day to work on administrative work and so forth...

Another good day here. The weather sure keeps the spirits up. High 20's in the morning, warming up to mid 40's by the afternoon. Sun shining, no wind.

Knocked out a big Oak, in an open area. Guys sump pump dumped out right next to it, so that was a small set back, but he was happy enough in the end that he almost hugged me. Good thing he didn't because his grip was insane. :lol: I gotta say, running that 660 with a 25" bar really rips through oak. So happy I bought that saw this year. Bid a job after work, and stopped at Sears to swap some broken rakes.

Wow Stig, glad you are OK. When something like that happens I first try to figure out if I'm OK and then I wonder if anyone saw me. Initially I hope no one did but then later I hope someone did so someone got to enjoy the spectacle.

This is my busiest year since I have been in business for myself. I have doing most of the climbing myself and while I feel that I am still in top form, my left elbow and shoulder are in near constant pain. Probably only a 3 on a ten scale but the moments in which I feel OK are getting far and few in between. I stupidly try to work through pain, take no pills and seldom go to doctors. Every time I've been sore in the past its gone away over time. This may be the push I need to find someone to replace myself as climber. I have a hard time stepping aside and letting other folks climb. I need a break for a bit.

Wanna demo a Wraptor for a while so your tendonitis can heal?? NoBivy had a bad elbow too till he got his. The only cure for it is rest, kinda hard when you are the climber.

Hell ya, try it out!

My elbow bothers me once in a while. I hang it off the computer desk when I'm web surfing, I sleep on it, and I climb. When it hurts I always find a way to hit it hard. I guess you can't win.

It can be tough as the wear and tear adds up. I can honestly say I do not remember the last time I spent a day without some level of pain from old, niggling injuries, right on up to the ones which should soon see surgery. Sometimes it takes the shine right off of an otherwise great day :(.

Back