How'd it go today?

Paul, not bad; 400 pounds. But I don't care about portable, and we have enough land to put it out of the way noise-wise.

No gas... Diesel. The fuel keeps longer, and we can toss in our #2 hho in if need be. Hell, could put in another tank.

My friend Don just brought home another project. He likes gensets. I'm getting the 30kw Onan from him. He just got a Cat D311 20kw 1/3 running, and now this Kohler. 5kw 3 phase apparently weight was not an issue.:lol:

2011-10-22_10-28-17_272.jpg

My other genset is an IHC UDCB-9 WWII era Signal Corps machine, I'm told. 25kw 3 phase 208v. Starts on gas, runs on diesel (not a pony motor).

The IH diesels were an odd ball .They had a carb,magneto spark plugs the whole nine yards just like a gasser . You roll them over on gas ,they start and run maybe 6-700 rpm .When the engine was warm enough you shift a lever which switches the compression from around 6.5 to 1 to around 18 to one and it runs as a diesel .

Way back then before the advent of direct injected diesels they simpley didn't have heavy enough electric starters to start them .IH used this method and Cat used the two cylinder pony engine crankers .

Sitting in a hotel room in downtown Hartford. Looks like a warzone in some places up here, caution tape up, power lines and trees down. We had to scramble to find a hotel, our original one we booked is closed due to power loss and they said don't expect them to open until Friday or Saturday.

Going to work with Brendon tomorrow, should be awesome times!

Can you see the two sided building in downtown? I don't know if it still is, used to be the Hartford Insurance building. My grandmother worked there forty years ago.

Did you know Pratt and Whitney used to build airplane motors in Hartford? That's where my grandfather worked. My dad owned an Esso gas station and my uncle just retired after owning/operating the Glastonbury NAPA for the last 40 years.

More in line with tree climbing interests, Brendon lives just down the street from the local Vermeer/Sherrill dealer.

I got a generator back when California was having all that electricity problems. The electricity went off for one afternoon in a rolling blackout and that was it. It has been years since the juice went off. I still have a (I think) 3000 watt honda generator.

Spent the day on a thinning and limbing job. Most the felling was done pulling with the Massdam puller we just got. Had to climb one to top it out before dropping the spar. Had to keep the damage low to the surrounding Manzanita and trees.
Sold them another day next week as I had a reschedule to fill. More dead wooding in their line of sight on a couple of blue oaks now that some of the other trees are missing ;)
Moved a client for tomorrow into December since she wants a trail cut (that we have to burn as we cut). Slide a client from Saturday forward and pollard his mullberry and then move next door to lift a couple of sequoias. Should be a good day.
Got paid and came home to the check on that cedar we did a month ago. That felt nice.
Took everyone out to BK and then trick or treating. I am feeling mighty tired bout now :lol:

Yeah deva, f350 turns out to be in the shop more than it's on the road. Just took it in for about the 5th time in the last six months. So I'm selling that truck and hoping to find something newer and more reliable.

jp:D

I took a little peek at the link E put on .I did see most models of diesels had glow plugs but didn't specfically see any with block heaters .At 22 to 1 compression they probabley would start in cold weather but a block heater certainly would improve the start and a warmer engine on start up would certainly improve the longgevity I would think .

FWIW I've also seen and experianced propane engines that wouldn't start or run correctly in cold weather,damned gas regulaters would freeze up .

Now I'll tell you a deal for somebody with the mechanical knowledge who likes to tinker .Find a diesel generater from a motor home .Most are 7.5 KW or larger .They have automatic transfer switchs ,won't switch the load until the engine is at running temp and have a cool down run prior to shutdown .In other words made to last a long long time .

Most of these units have very little running time on them including the one in the motorhome in my shop .I've seen them on flea bay for like 750 bucks with all the components included .

Didn't get it; phone was dead.

What days will you be up?

We are going to be in and around the 'Bean Wednesday and Thursday. I'm possibly meeting up with Greg, Thursday after I get done with that day's "business" and then hopping the "T" back to Mansfield. We'll be in Massachusetts Tuesday evening late, and pulling out Friday morning.

Awesome day of work with Brendon. First time I've worked with a mini and man, I don't see how we do work without one. Called Dad right after we got done, told him thats the thing we need to buy very, very soon. Crazy how much easier it makes things.

Took some pix, I'll try and post them up in a bit.

Nice connections!

JP, Bum deal.

Another guy and I wrecked a split out white oak, probably 65 feet.
Split about 7' up at the main crotch, woulda had pictures but lost my camera on the job.
Just get it on the ground and buck it up. Oh well. Lived to tell the tale.

Jamming here, lotta work to do, and getting more "when you catch back up can you come back for ____". Freaking rocks, hoping the snow holds off for us. Adrian came down and helped out, it was nice to meet him. Post some pics kid!

Back