How'd it go today?

I'm going to western Pa next weekend .Up in the hills near Meadville .Chances are though if the snow got that far inland it would be pretty much cleaned up by then .

Killed two big leaf maples today. One was pretty big, had significant rot from Ganoderma. Buck up the logs and grind the stumps tomorrow. Pretty impressed that we got it all down and chipped, and mostly cleaned up in one day, just Erik and I. Erik's last project before his big bike trip from Oly to San Diego, maybe Joshua Tree NP. Pics tomorrow of the aftermath. Rotten.

Its on now. No power... service ripped off the house. Trees down all over that I can see. Ugh.

While we are on the safety nazi thing, I wouldn't let a complete beginner climb on a VT.
I usually let my apprentices climb on a distel for about a year before letting them try the VT.

Ha yesterday I tarped down about 15 of the 25 or so cords I have stacked with plastic tarps .Those things are about like stray cats or chainsaws in that you can accumulate a lot of them .

I was surprised at the amount of stuff I found buried under a big pile of tarps .I know I had the stuff just couldn't remember where .

I had a kind of crazy day at the almond plant, then cut down a huge mulberry trunk and ground the stump. Loving that motor from Tntree and the greenteeth. For you camelback users, my daughter's boyfriend who was a designer for Marmot is now the designer for camelback. So if you have any criticisms, I can pass them along.

While we are on the safety nazi thing, I wouldn't let a complete beginner climb on a VT.
I usually let my apprentices climb on a distel for about a year before letting them try the VT.

because it can be fickle on grabbing? the combination of rope and cordage i had her on grabs very reliably. we practiced in another tree low and slow before tackling the redwood. as far as tying the knot correctly, i made sure it was right before and during the climb. in a working situation i agree with you 100% as it is a finicky knot to tie correctly and its performance is so variable with rope and cordage combinations. the VT is what i climb on every day, i am more comfortable with it than i am with any of the other hitches that i never tie and would probably have to look up to make sure i had tied right. all that said, i see your point and appreciate your (constructive) criticism. safety Nazi is something i don't get very much of at work, very lax attitude there, so i appreciate it. jaime

Getting ready to head out here I think. Going to go about half way and then crash in my car for the night. Shave as much as I can off the 14hr trip. Hopefully catch some snow before it melts. Maybe meet up with a houser on Monday, see if I can help out anywhere with storm damage. Have a few days to kill before the expo.

I bought some ocean prussics, climbing on a distel was much improved. The bee line just seemed to jam up at odd times. I did burn it a little on the last crane job....

Plowed from 4a.m. to about 10 a.m. Went out with the guy and did some tree work until about 2 or 3. Went back to my house to fine my wires ripped off the power pole, cut the limb off those and hung some tape so truckers don't rip it down even more. Plowed my driveway then moved things in the basement. Sump pumps don't work without electricity, but at least I can swim down there if I need to.

On a brighter note I scored a 20'? log conveyor today for $1500. Pretty stoaked, gotta get it home and tinker with it a tad, then should be in business.

Then sorted out a dozen or so phone calls for work.

Jeff, how many dollars you want for one of them there ballcaps? :D

Al, you want tarps? I got tarps. I swear by 5x8' finished ones for work, I have at least a dozen of them mainly in the hue of blue. When you switch to green it becomes 10x12 more regular, a bitch to lift when packed with leaves or debris, the advanced tarps for the crew if you please. For my travel trailer I have a couple 12x20's, in case of advanced water penetration.

I've got a pretty good pile of them Paul .I might at best have two little ones ,most are large .Mrs. Smith found some real heavy duty silver ones on the cheap which are the cat's meow .I burned about half a dozen blue ones the other day that were so full of holes they became worthless .

Not only does the woman keep the magic refridgerator full of beer she also buys all kinds of goodies now and again .

Great day today. I stepped out this afternoon to enjoy the beautiful weather and found a $20 bill in the grass at the end of my driveway. :D

And last night I found a $5 bill in the clothes dryer.

Killed some tree of heaven today... Still have a cedar to prune off two buildings. Might get to TD the locust as it is messing with the roof. Just used it as my tie in and partly to rig from. Pruned it up off the roof a tad since it was literally pushing shingles up. I will be advising the property owner a new roof is in order. Hard to clean a roof that sends shingles down with the debris :P
This job came through a landscaper friend of mine from the old restaurant days. They once owned a coffee house and always came in for dinner. SO I have been giving her some serious amounts of work since she has a start up... She returned the favor :D
Fodder....
PA290002.jpg PA290003.jpg PA290005.jpg PA290006.jpg PA290007.jpg PA290008.jpg PA290009.jpg PA290010.jpg
Of course when you block two parking lots off, some one has to remove your caution tape, drive through the cones and hollar angrily up the tree that they "are a tenant here and did not know the parking lot was closed", and, "is it ok if I park in the lot?".
Of course they are already parked in the lot :roll: On a Sunday.. who wudda figured.
Hope he did not mind the chainsaw out side his open office window while he was on the phone :lol:

Made it too Maryland, hit the tail end of the snow storm here, few inches on the ground, but roads are clear. Hoping to make it to PA before calling it a night.

Another good day here. Got the green house up for the Mrs. delivered two loads of chips came home with a 04 Golf and will still get paid for two pine T.D's with the added bonus of a chip dump site in town.:D
some fodder from last week the last pick's didnt seem to transfer to the whole vid but still the just for most. Comments and criticizm welcome as always.

Back