How'd it go today?

Surveyors were here today to split the property. don't think they got done.

Sunday was a great day. got together to pick music with some guys I've been trying to get together for over six months. It was awesome; no weak links. I think we all agreed to start booking gigs asap. I've been waiting awhile for this level of posibilities to come around again. whoohoo!

Bidding sucks

Rainy day.
Got a call from a man who wanted his three big cedars ( badly topped a few years ago) to be pruned ...I just start to explain what can be done to reduce the size of those trees without damaging them too much when he starts saying that he knows much about trees , he knows how a cedar has to be pruned, the shape he wants (...and he makes a triangle with his fingers).
I'd like to tell him why he doesn't cut them by himself if he is that skilled (in a less polite way of course.....)
but this is not the right time for letting a job go......

Then he shows me a birch in agony, topped an re-topped and topped again.
It has to be reduced. too big. He says.
I'm just going to show him that big hollow wound where two big poles have grown and suggesting a removal for his safety ..when he starts again.." you see that big cut ? You cut there."

fortunately custumers like this are not the majority... but still there's many.
Wondering if it ever happens to a plumber , or a carpenter or an electrician....
people telling them how to do their job..

Think I will bid very high, the only painkiller for this PITA

My morning was making a third retaining wall up slope from a tree. We did 2 prior after the contractor that was building the new house for the client buried the trees. I spoke up and help mitigate the problem. At least we got to start the wall prior to the dirt getting moved today.... The two prior, well, the top of the wall was the height of the dirt against the tree... :roll:
HO had the granite from blasting the pad and let us use his tractor. Then a TD after that. We'll wrap it up tomorrow. I have a partial removal tomorrow over there and the bucking and cleanup.

Attachments

• P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 68
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 68
  • P1010005.jpg
    P1010005.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 68
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 68
Deadwooded a large double stem ponderosa and installed a dynamic cable system. Worked it using the wrench for the first bigger stem (~100ft), then off the pinto pulley, double rope for the second, worked like a charm :)

Cleaned out the nicest Norway maple I've seen out here today. Deadwood and some reduction cuts. Big spreader, probably 100' spread x 70' height. Lots of limbwalking, took my boss and me 3 hrs to get it cleaned. Now I'm packing to drive out to New Westminster to take 2 days for aerial rescue training. Hopefully it isn't raining too bad out there.

drizzled today (cool also at about 8C / 48F), now sure what tomorrow is going to bring, pack your rainwear :)

I flew a bucket for five hours - killing here, trimming there... a great way to spend a day off!

I'm halfway through a large crown reduction job on five old, abused laurel oaks in a condo courtyard. Had to build plywood highways every time I moved the truck. Left the truck there overnight since I was at the far end of the courtyard about 400' from the access point. These trees have had a rough history. I can identify evidence of previous topping (30 years ago or more) and more recently the typical 'strip to the sky' pruning where the climbers go as high as they can and cut every green leaf they can reach. Virtually all green growth is secondary epicormic regrowth, and specs call for reducing tip weight without removing more than 30% of the green. At least they are trying to do the right thing now in spite of previous abuses. Two of the trees have serious trunk decay and need to be removed IMO. I may bring my camera and get some pictures tomorrow. They aren't beautiful specimens by any stretch, but decent size and I am really enjoying the job.

Lazy climbers can do some serious harm. Sounds like the bucket is the way to go for a crown reduction like that. Photos!

jp:D

Wondering if it ever happens to a plumber , or a carpenter or an electrician....
people telling them how to do their job..
Yes it does .When I worked construction I often just walked away .In the auto factory I just let them step on their dicky do .Usually one lesson is all it takes .;)

Al, yesterday I had a woman try to tell me where I needed to set up my bucket truck to reach a palm tree I had to trim. I surprised myself with the polite manner I used to thank her for her advice but I thought I could reach it from where I was.

dead wooded and crown raised a row of six melaleucas today. turns out its easier to dead wood them by tearing into it with your hands, kind of fun but very dirty. tomorrow we go back to the monster cypress. we may or may not be able to finish it. this will be day three, and if we finish, we will be under cost by five grand! ill try to post some pics tomorrow.

:lol: Yeah B as I got older I gained some patience too .Every so often though the bull head still comes out in me .I guess at least a little bit of that will never completely go away .

Ha today I let this know it all SOB fiddle with a robot for half an hour .That's letting 53 engines not be made .After the smart ass finaly got out of the way I had it fixed in about 5 minutes .Now that's bull headedness .;)

I did my stint at the almond plant, then took one of my workers to Oakdale to go over a job for the next few days.

Ha today I let this know it all SOB fiddle with a robot for half an hour .That's letting 53 engines not be made .After the smart ass finaly got out of the way I had it fixed in about 5 minutes .Now that's bull headedness .;)

I bet in Japan, you would be the one getting the reprimand ;)

Sounds like everyone has had a busy day! Finished dicing up that Oak from yesterday and resumed a stage three removal. :lol:
Stage one, I took the dead leaders out of a multiple leader live oak, then showed the HO the cracked base of the tree, then took the couple of live leaders leaning towards the house and hot tub, now took one more dead leader out that just died... Should have the whole tree gone in a year or two :lol:
Wrapped that up and did a little pruning job on a street side of a restaurant, mostly more like shrubs... Some epi growth on some locust. All from the ground. I need to go back and cut all the vinca from out of the road and climb some trees of heaven and get a limb off from over the roof and any dead that can whack a car in the small parking lot.
Landed the old employment agency building job I recently estimated. Get to land all the tree of heaven in two parking lots and prune a cedar off some buildings. Doing that one Sunday so I can just close off both parking lots.
Blue oak prune tomorrow client just called and confirmed. Now booking February and 1/2 of that is gone.. :D
Busy days :)

Hell no .When we built that plant they brought over the cutest little doll baby of a progammer I ever saw in my life ,dy -no mite at about 5 foot nothing and maybe a 100 pounds soaking wet .Every morning I got the crews going then I would amble over and talk to her and bring her a cup of coffee .The little men would posture up but what could they do at 5 foot 3 and a 120 pounds and me at the time 6 foot and 230 .Just a cultural exchange so to speak .;)

Back