How'd it go today?

Technically incorrect; different parts of the log are falling from different heights at different velocities. The top of the log fell over 14 feet and impacted the rope much faster. Being constrained to an arc doesn't make it negligible.

Did a small job this morning for my friends mom. Some dead and hazard trees. Split the rest of the big rounds I brought to the house a few weeks ago too, last time I bring big shit home. Pain in the ass. Took my friend to lunch then stopped at a bike shop and talked about road bikes.

HO had two days scheduled for the work we had left on the 30 acre cut. Finished a day early and threw in a new trail access and a lightening struck, ant filled blue oak to boot. A good day. SO I am going to call a customer we need to work on a creek bed for and see if he wants a day tomorrow. I am sure he will. He needs like 3 since his last guy bailed :D
Cool off for a bit and get the kids fed. Make a batch of cream of chicken with mushroom soup cooked up as well. Then redo my new computer again. It seems that my Windows 7 does not want to play nice with my Linux. In fact it also changed my bios with out permission. So that nasty little Microsoft virus is going to be permanently deleted from my computer. Sorry Bill Gates and his successors, but my computer belongs to me, not you. Bugger off. :D

What's confusing, Steve?
I don't know if this is the right place for this question but I never understood what a neutral wire was. I think I understand what Al said about the 120 to ground on any circuit of the three phase but 220 between the wires. I think this is because between the wires it is going from 120+ to 120- therefore making 220. What is the 480 Wye as opposed to the 480 Delta?

In a household 120/240 system, you have two hot legs and a neutral. The neutral is connected to ground in the breaker panel, and represents the center connection of a center-tapped transformer. Between either hot leg and the neutral, you're making a connection between only "half" of the transformer- so you get 120 volts. Between the two hot legs, you're getting the "whole" transformer, or 240 volts.

Hard to explain a delta vs wye system without drawing a picture, Steve. But I'll try.

Picture yourself in an imaginary circle. You're in the very center, and three people are standing at the edge, equally spaced. You're the neutral. You can shake hands with the three people, alternately. That's WYE.

Now picture three people making up a triangle. They can shake hands only with the person to their left or right. Nobody is in the middle. That's Delta.

In essence yes but in reality no .The neutral is defined as the intenionally grounded conductor .The ground is the "grounding conducter " intended not to carry a load but for use as a safety thing .The key words are grounded and grounding .

In the case of household 240 single phase the "grounded " conducter limits the voltage to ground from a single hot leg to 120 volts .

Here's the kicker though .If for some reason you loose the ground bond between the neutral and true ground that voltage can "float" across your house circuits .Depending on the balance of the load you might get some weird readings like 140 volts on one side and a hundred on the other .Light bulbs pop .The TV acts crazy and all kinds of oddities can occur .

3/4 TENEX bull rope about 6 mo older than the sling. I'll snap a picture of the sling and up load the tree it happened in in the am. Cut the production time on the next oak a touch loosing the confidence in the equipment for sure!

This violates the Rigging Rope as Weakest Component in the System rule. Your sling is the same size as the rope, but subjected to double the force.

Glad it was sorta okay in the end. Most importantly, nobody was hurt.

How is tenex as a rigging line. I've not heard about people using it. Is it not very, very low stretch?

In essence yes but in reality no .The neutral is defined as the intenionally grounded conductor .The ground is the "grounding conductor " intended not to carry a load but for use as a safety thing .The key words are grounded and grounding .

In the case of household 240 single phase the "grounded " conductor limits the voltage to ground from a single hot leg to 120 volts .

Thanks, Al... excellent answer. :thumbup:

Back