How'd it go today?

Dropped a 4.5' dbh doug-fir by 150' with an 18" bar on a small Husky. Tree was condemned from P. schweinitzii rotting bottom up, and the tree was broken off at about 12" or more diameter at 150', and rotting from the top down.

I cut the face at head high, aiming for as high as possible, hoping for more solid wood higher up the stump, and the ground on the back side was lower, so I was cutting at maximum reach on the back cut. I cut the rotten guts as much as I could through the face cut, then started the back cut in the rear progressing to one side then the other, then to the hinge on the first side, then the hinge on the second side. Pull with the bucket truck with a rope set at 55' and away it went.

The face cut side of the tree had 1" of solid rind wood, the back side had 12-15" of solid to semisolid wood. My boss had Resistographed it previously, and I drilled it with a long 1/8" bit to have an idea of what we were dealing with. Our initial intent, which did not come to pass was to break it rather than cutting it. The wood was a bit better higher up around 6.5-7' where I cut, so the tree didn't sit down, and the hinge held.

I chose the small saw because it was the lightest, cheapest saw we had in case the tree sat down on the bar and we had to unbolt the power head and leave the b/c, or if the tree crumbled, and I had to abandon the saw. Put a rut in the campground asphalt, but its a lot cheaper than a possible lawsuit. Pulled out the 460 and 660 to buck it, cutting from both sides.

Pictures are on the work camera.

Sounds like one of my jobs, Sean. Right down to the gory details.

I think we may see more parallels as you get into your new responsibilities. Looking forward to the pics.

:thumbup:

Just call me the tree assassin. :evil:
First job today was killing four camphor trees. A few obstacles typical in residential work but nothing complicated. I killed all four in 3 hours from two setups (only dropped one limb on the truck).
Second job was a backyard laurel oak removal that had split out a couple weeks ago. Tight access and a fair amount of wood, as well as half the canopy hanging over the fence into the neighbor's yard. I pulled everything back into our customer's yard and landed it between my truck and the pool screen.

I had several spectators today on both jobs. It was a fun day but quite hot this afternoon. We shouldn't be getting this kind of heat until May.

Camphor wood is good turning wood.

Had a Townhome development to do some shrubbing at, pretty crap work really, until we heard screaming and effing etc, we thought the guy was joking whne he scream put the Fu@#$%# things back up but it turns out he was serious no shirt no shoes and hopping mad. other than that it went fine.

He was working a condo area, old man got pissed off about the noise and came out, all but naked, screaming about the noise, had a cup of get over it, and the day finished off OK.

LOL!!
tumblr_ljhwb8PAni1qb3v0f

He was working a condo area, old man got pissed off about the noise and came out, all but naked, screaming about the noise, had a cup of get over it, and the day finished off OK.

i had a guy like that last week when i went and cut some tress in a subdivision for a customer i had call me.i was using my snapper 34cc muffler modded chainsaw and he came out and start raiseing all sorts of hell with me and my crew.he told us to quitein the saw down he was trying to sleep LOL i said ok i'll do that. we all took and 10 minute break and then we started at it agian.and then i got to looking down to the ground and the police showed up.well i started down the tree to see what was goin on.and they told us that the guy next to us called the them for a loud noise next door to him and he wanted it too be stopped.well when the law found out what we was doin the went and told him to leave us alone that we will be done and a few hours LOL.

Spent the last 4 days in Kentucky. Left today around noon. Made it to Poplar Bluff, Missouri this evening. Avoided the rain, so it was a good day. Tomorrow, I think I'm stuck here. Don't see a way to get home without riding in the rain. Maybe Friday will be better. I should be about 7-hours from home.

dang i hate the rain too but as long as they are wind i love every minute because my phone don't wuit ringing untill it stops and drys up LOL

Burnham, I agree that my new responsibilities might be like some of yours. Individual State Parks staff handle what they can from the ground, and do the ground work for us. We do the climbing on rare occasions, and a bunch from the ground and bucket. We are running into lots of laminated root disease, schweinitzii, and annosus.

I heard about my first upcoming climbing gig. A boat access island park where we will be transported by Parks staff in a small boat to take care of an alder overhanging a park building, amongst other things.
Here's the description from the website-
Park overview:
Blake Island State Park is a 475-acre marine camping park with five miles of saltwater beach shoreline providing magnificent views of the Olympic Mountains and the Seattle skyline. The park is only reachable by tour boat or private boat. Indian-style salmon dinners and demonstrations of Northwest Indian dancing are offered at Tillicum Village, a concession on the island. WOOHOO! I'll take it!!

Tomorrow, a bunch of campground bucket pruning of hazard limbs before the season hits.

well it went pretty good untill i came home.and then the phone started to ring off the hook again.but thats all good i love to work and make money to support my CAD addiction i got really bad.thanks to the people on here and arborist site for that LOL.but i might have to build a bigger shed to put my work shop and saws in i'm getting a littel cramp up in here.

Pretty good, took a day off today, caught up on some chores. Started teaching my sister some self defense moves, and how to strike painful nerves and break bones.

Rolled up to a big ol' Sugar Maple take down this morning, solo. I forgot to ask Dave for help Sunday and he was busy by the time I asked him on Tuesday. No biggy though, I knocked that SOB down, chipped, and wood cut by noon. :lol: Freaking amazing. Neighbor came over, "Are you doing this tree alone, isn't that kinda dangerous". "Not alone anymore sir, keep an eye on me." :D Raked and dumped chips and rolled out about 1:30ish. I've got some pics later.

Came home to a box with 4 baby chicks in it. Where'd those come from? I food processed some big chicken pellets into dust, instead of buying the over priced "chick" food. They were loving it.

I know I dont post in this thread too often but been away and wanted to share.

Got back today from a nice break with the wife and youngster, relaxing and visiting a couple of our national parks. Had a real nice time and met some interesting folk, its now a bank holiday here over the weekend so no need to get out of that chilled out feeling just yet.

Ready for my own bed though after too many nights with broken sleep and aching bones!

What, that's as original as you can come up with? No need to repeat posts verbatim, sir.

Ready for my own bed though after too many nights with broken sleep and aching bones!

I hear THAT!!!

Took down 2 maples and carried logs uphill for 6 hours. Steep and rocky hill. I think death sounds nice this evening.

Dang, Chris. There wasn't anywhere to hang a block and use some sort of mechanical means to drag the logs up the hill?

I spent my day chasing hangers and broken limbs at a big condo property. Must have set up the truck 40 times or more.

Gawd, I hate that. I like it when I can lay the boom down in front the truck and have someone pull up and re-set me up, and I don't even get outta the bucket.

Back