How'd it go today?

Actually a good point Nick as when the machine is in high range and cold fluid, it bogs. Plus when in high range, you can't multitask (lift/lower boom, curl, attachment operation) without flying over the dash due to power loss from tracks. What say ye hydraulic whiz's?

Work was ok today. Climbed a few trees, chasing down storm damage and lifting a few small limbs up with arbor tie in some small Juniper trees.

Bad news is Dad has to have his foot operated on sometime next week I think. And he'll have to stay COMPLETELY OFF it for at least 6 weeks. No weight on it at all. Meaning he'll be stuck inside the house for the most part. Which means the only time we'll really get to work I think is when I'm off on weekends and can run the crew, or if he gets a contract climber to work for him for a bit. Either way, winter is going to be tough this year.

I wish your dad and your family the best of luck and hope you have a great Christmas! I'm sure he will pull through fine!

I hope all the broken items get fixed or replaced and all the broken people get well.

I climbed for a buddy today. He had three jobs to do. We did the biggest one last. I love that. It was an evergreen silver maple or rather a silver maple almost totally consumed by ivy. The tree had two small owls in it. I had to disturb their slumber. The job was to remove a very large horizontal branch over the house and patio. Shooting the bigshot through the ivy encrusted tree to where I thought I could see a good tie in was a trick and a half. The ivy made climbing a pain and it also hid several large mounds of raccoon feces. "Bad animal!" exclaimed the climber as he stepped on what he thought was a firm branch union but turned out to be unpleasantly squishy.

Shooting them is my favourite way of getting them out of trees, too;)

I'm snowed in, literally.
The lower ½ of the country is hit by a severe snowstorm, all roads are closed, the police are saying, down leave your homes.
Since this is the day of the year, when most people travel in Denmark in order to go home to their families for x-mas, there is bound to be millions of frustrated Danes sitting inside and staring out on the snow.

We have laid in a week's worth of groceries and firewood, and I hit the library yesterday for a stack of books.
So as far as I care, let it snow all it wants.

Pine removals around a second home, I think there were eleven in total, with a hundred year old fatty in the mix. Finished up by 3:30, but felt industrious enough to clean my saws once back at the shop. Went to a couple electronics stores to see what they have in the way of TVs. After a couple months, if it isn't digital, you can't get reception. 20" is all I want. One made by Sharp had a real good picture, but I didn't like the sound much. Probably still get it tomorrow and make it my wife's xmas gift. I don't watch it much.

Dang Jay, ALL stock speakers are crappy and sound like shit. You need a cheap system to hook up. I haven't listened to a TV's onboard speaker system since the early 80's.

That's good info, Butch, it occurred to me when I was driving home that hooking up to a better speaker might be possible. I'm not very audio oriented. Our place is small, we don't need much. Do TVs have stereo, or is one good speaker all you need?

I wondered why a TV can have such a nice picture but crappy sound.

At the very least you should add external speakers, but that wouldn't sound near as good as a cheap surround sound system. New TV's have all the jacks you need for that stuff.

And get a 26" model, or maybe 32".

Thanks, I'm going back tomorrow to check it out more. The picture is so clear on the new types, I hadn't really seen that much before. Skin really shows up.

Today went ok.. No stress as we were not scheduled to be any where anyway. Took Dwarf mistletoe out of 4 small coulter pines. Couple of branches on the house service while we were at it. Climbed 3 of 4 as the only mistletoe in one could be reached from the other tree next to it. Then we went to the kids day care to take a leader off a live oak over their service. Turns out the dudes friend had a county bucket truck to take home the other day and they pruned it back off the line. Dude was out fishing, so I have to call him next week to see if we still need to do the removal. Wife said she wanted the very dead twin leader gray pine in her mom's memorial garden addressed however. Going to have to put in a high line for a TIP and lower it all out and down. Three tops on the two of them.. Should be some nervous fun:|:

Now I am just waiting to get the kids ready and then pick up Katy from work on our way to my parents house for dinner..

One of twenty new installs
<iframe title="YouTube video player" class="youtube-player" type="text/html" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KTXr6DBXppE" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I went to my regular Friday coffee group and then got some steelwool at the hardware store then put another coat of tung oil on my urns and then went to church.

Still snowed in here.
I started the day by making enough sourdough hotcakes to feed 2 hungry people and 3 hungry dogs.
IMO nothing beats sourdough pancakes with maple syrup for breakfast.
Now it is time for some woodturning!

Willie, why was the trunk protecter so tall? Is that normal? It's just to protect from mowers and weed eaters, right?

New TV's have all the jacks you need for that stuff.

And get a 26" model, or maybe 32".
Since you mention that I just got through the other night with hanging a 32" flat screen .Good grief that thing has jacks and input/output devices for anything you could imagine .A real technoweenie could even hook it up for a 'puter moniter I imagine .

Went to a xmas party at a friend's house, picking up a German guy I know and his family. He raised some pigs and cured his own ham and also brought some steaks. I brought some smoked cheese I made and a bottle of Frenchie. I couldn't drink, having to drive home, still hung ok with my friends who got a bit sauced. Wonderful meal!

It's all color coded, Al. Nothing to it.
Well yes but I'm kind of in a quandry at the moment .Mrs. Smith who can't hear worth a damned has a set of Accoustic Research wireless speakers which use a preamp and a radio transmiter . Now the problem is that the input jack to the pre amp is mono,not sterio and at the moment I'm at a loss as to how to connect it . Can't find the directions so it's off to Google land .

I got in fingered out .I had forgotten abut the splitter cable which kind of connects the outputs to a single cable as an input to the preamp .Works fine now .

Back