How'd it go today?

Daylight saving started this morning,
That has to be the most oximoron idea they ever came up with . How in the world can you save daylight for heavens sake ? It isn't like you can bottle it up in a mason jar or something for later use .

I always figured if you needed more daylight just get up earlier .

That doesn't work up here, Al.
As of now, the sun rises at 7.00 AM, so a much earlier start will be in the dark.

Well I suppose it depends on where you are at .Far enough north the days get short but then again at certain times they get rather long too .

It's around 6:45 or so here this time of the year give or take a few minutes .

Most complaints about DST are about how it gets dark so early in the winter. Well guess what? DST isn't in effect in the winter. DST shifts the time in the summer so it doesn't get light at 4am.

Well guess what? DST isn't in effect in the winter. DST shifts the time in the summer so it doesn't get light at 4am.
Now you have to admit though it gets light someplace a 4 AM .:) I imagine on the north slop of Alaska the night might only last a few hours or so in summer which seems to be rather short in that area .Long enough or so I've heard to grow mosquitoes as large as eagles .

Got back late last night from the KY Tree Climbing Comp. It was great to meet Ranger and his Dad and got to see Jersey Girl again who wants to thank Gerry for posting his rope walker system which she was rocking:) Set up a demo area for the Wraptors near the sign in and had some interest but really not much:( I kinda atribute this to the fact that the competitors feel Wraptors are cheating..... to back this idea was the fact that in the masters climb the competitors were trying to hit a 90' crotch and 2 of the 3 guys wouldnt use a bigshot ????? WTF?? 2nd guy took 20 mins to set his line:|: I guess it really illustrates how little refinement I have, Im just a GitErDone kinda fella:|:

It was awesome to watch those guys climbing though, saw some really cool techniques and many different approaches to the same problems. Looking forward to Warren Wilson.......

Hey Paul, I noticed that also. A lot of the guys liked the product, but weren't real interested in it. I know many of them footlock quite a bit, and like you said, they think of it as cheating. I'm sure if they climbed those 90' + trees quite often, they would love to have one.

The TCC deals are ok, but they are about as relevant to working climbers as NASCAR is to office commuters. IMO the work climb is about the only relevant event in the competition. I spent over 20 years as a working climber and never needed or acquired any of the other competition skills.

In the one competition in which I competed, I did score third in the work climb. It was the only event in which I was remotely interested, I didn't even take a turn at the footlock or AR events.

Seems like too many of the TCC guys get too wrapped up in the 'rules and regulations' side of things. Many of them act like the Safety Gestapo. But it seems like too many of them are amazingly incompetent in real life application of those skills, such as pruning or removing a tree in a reasonable amount of time. I watched one local TCC hotshot on a job once, he brought in a 35 ton crane for a pruning job. He used the crane for his tie in and was roping limbs down to somebody on the roof. :roll: But they all had their hardhats on and there were work signs out everywhere as they all ran around and spent all day long on a 3 hour prune job.

Comp is nice and all and being a purist has it's merit there. In the real world of the working climber...we need all the tools at our disposal for to speed and ease our production to finish the task at hand and get to the bank. They can earn all the 90 foot plus trees they wish. I have kids to feed... ;) I need to earn a living and be able to earn it as long as possible.

I'm still in the middle of a download here, that's been going on for a day, now. I'm downloading my final package of just over 33k small(less than 500KB files). :O

I got back late last night from the RMC-TCC In Greeley,Co. Luke Glines won it again this year-Charlie Wagner is honeymooning and didn't compete. Luke almost swept the whole thing. Had a good time.

I'm putzing today. Changed the oil and air filter on the dirtbike. Washed a truck.

Went down to my neighbors and took some funky Jap. Maple seedlings. I'm always on the look out for any seedlings I can watch grow up and use in the future at my own place.

Threw some logs on the ground then filled the inside with decomposed wood chip. The tree's really love the worm castings and put out this crazy fibrous root systems. The first pic is the seedlings I put in today, the second pic is of a small mound I planted some seedlings in a few years ago. Needless to say they grew FAST, again, with amazing root systems.

I gave blood today after church. This time, they hooked me up to the ALYX machine, which takes only the red blood cells and puts everything else back. Kind of a wierd feeling the first time it begins to pump a saline and anti-coagulant solution back into your vein. I also signed up to be a bone marrow donor if I happen to match someone in need.

I gave blood today after church. This time, they hooked me up to the ALYX machine, which takes only the red blood cells and puts everything else back. Kind of a wierd feeling the first time it begins to pump a saline and anti-coagulant solution back into your vein. I also signed up to be a bone marrow donor if I happen to match someone in need.

I just started on my 5th gallon the last time I donated.

Cool! I'm close to 3 gallons myself. You get double credit for doing the ALYX machine. :D

About a hour ago I had a roofer bud come over and repair an improperly installed valley in one of my roof lines that evidently was installed by a rank amatuer . Couple hours,60 bucks,good to go .

I think its great you guys donate blood. I have more than once passed out during blood drawing and will not be volunteering anytime soon. There's never anyone big enough to catch my fall at the phlebotomist.

I was told I could never donate blood due to the navy attempting to kill me from a reaction to a malaria shot . My former mother in law was the head of the local Red Cross bloodmobile and she checked it out .

I used to joke with the old gal and say she was no more than a female vampire masquarading in a blue dress . It kind of amused her,--to a point .

Back