How'd it go today?

I have a friend who raises a few pigs. He gets rather attached to them, and now when the fateful time arrives, the night before he throws a big party for them, all the beer they can drink, and himself too. When morning comes and the porkers are hung over so bad that they want to die, their wish gets granted.

Cheer up, Justin. That chipping work is paying for the machine. That was part of the deal when you upgraded from the old chuck-n-duck, remember? And you get to use a big new Brush Bandit instead of fighting that old, worn out thing.

Oh I know it's good. Just booked next weekend though so I'm looking at atleast 20 something days before the possibility of a day off. I'm gonna make bank this year.:)

Got the go ahead for the crane/manbasket for the cottonwood job today too.

Dang Tucker,
that's squemish sounding, expensive too.

We took down a Pine today Literally 3 climbers.
I started and set the rigging got about half a load of chips in the truck,
When I realized it was hot and I do the majority of the PITA trees here.
So I came down and drank a soda.

So then climber #2 came and worked til lunch. He was beat by the heat.
So then a third climber came and made three big cuts.
Then I went in and chunked it down from the bucket.

We finished right at 4. Wheweesh.

I went out to my cousin's house this morning as he wanted me to install a printer on his computer. I then put the new radiator in my PU. Did some running around and then my daughters came over to swim.

Yeah and the best part is....its not my grinder. I dont do but a few dozen stumps per year as there isnt a huge demand for stump grinding in my area so I dont own one. I dont think I'll own one for a long time really. I pile up a list of stumps once a month and go and rent a rayco from an equipment dealer in town. They whacked me 15 bucks a pop for the teeth. Had to pay right there on the spot. No shopping around for a hot deal or fixing the issue at a later date.

And its good thing i was on my A game because the equipment mechanic came out to the service desk where I was discussing the issue and told the service manager there were 24 broken teeth. I told him there werent even 24 teeth on the machine and that became a heated arguement. So we went in the garage so he could spin the wheel and count em. Still tells me 24 broken teeth. I said, "ok now lets spin the wheel just ONCE this time and not twice". He still argued with me. I dont know if he was just plain dumb or trying to hose me.

The customers wife tells me at the job "oh yeah, my husband left that metal in the ground many years ago and I guess the tree grew around it". Wouldnt that have been nice to know when bidding the job!

Uhhhh Yeah!

When I used to be in contract plumbing, we would put little exception clauses in the bid in case problems were found above and beyond what is normal in the job. Not only would it cover my butt, but often make me and certain equipment operators good money :D Might be something to think about. Metal, concrete, rocks, and in one case I know of, a handgun have been found in the tree stumps. I know of a tree right now that has the better part of an engine in it.. You can see the alternator in one of the knot holes.
Actually its probably a generator as it was a much older vehicle.

Removed a bunch of little Tree of Heaven, and pruned two tulips. Neighbor came over and had us prune two silver maples for her.
Turned out to be a good day.

:D

Today I did paperwork and scheduling in the truck while the guys did five smallish jobs. The last tree of the day featured a nude sunbather, much to Mike's enjoyment and Jim's embarrassment. My virtuous mormon boy turned the other cheek and worked the other side of the tree. When we got into the truck and the first topic of discussion was the quality and quantitity of what had been seen, Jim blanched and turned on the radio to derail the discussion. The timing was perfect as the radio was talking about marijuana legalization and Jim was out of the moral frying pan and into the fire.

Butch, you should give this story a listen, its a news story that imagines that marijuana has been legalized.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103276152

Back