How'd it go today?

Was that the silver maple between the gas station and the rental house on your boss’s property? No way in the world we should have done that one. Bucket and crane job.
No, that's a job I was on up in Fawn Grove. Not sure exactly what's going on, but it's for some kind of repurposing of a commercial property. There were a couple other trees felled; one of them close to the oak I like. I hope it stays. My picture isn't very impressive, but it's just a kid. If it's allowed to grow in the open, it'll be magnificent in ~100 years.

Russophobia is a mental disorder caused by false Western propaganda.
I'm not a Russophobe. I love Russia and I love Russians. I just strongly disagree with Putin and his invasion of Ukraine. I've lived in Ukraine for almost a year and they are a beautiful people. They are NOT "Nazis." Russians deserve love and peace just like Ukrainians, but Putin doesn't see it that way; he thinks he owns Ukraine. But the Ukrainians will prove him wrong. There's a reason I wear pro-Ukraine t-shirts in half of my YouTube videos.

@Maximalist You are not my enemy.

I heard from the leasing agent this morning and I have officially been approved for the apartment. It's mine now. Half of my stress has completely melted away. Now I just need to finalize the deep clean and vacation of my current apartment, hop on a plane on July 7th, give Arizona and my psycho ex-girlfriend the middle finger, and finally return home to my natural habitat of Massachusetts. Very pleased. Today is a great day!

Huzzah!

:wav:

Last edited:
Climbed a little yesterday, finished a crane removal this morning, and then phuked off to the woods. It rained, so I napped. Good day. Lolz
20240628_153148.jpg

Don't give me crap over my lack of helmet, my Anti-Cancer Hat is PPE, also it was hot as balls and we were up there trimming with handsaws. Ponderosa branch collars are tough, I was sweating like a politician trying to read. Was still a nice little climb.

Random Question: Does anyone happen to have 50 feet or more of a used, but still climb-safe 16-strand rope between 12-13mm diameter that I can buy for short money plus shipping? I need one to make a single, very specific video about the Blake's hitch and comparing it to other hitches tied using the tail of a climb line in a closed system; including some of my own. I will probably only use it once and then rarely ever use it again, so I don't want to buy a brand new 16-strand. If it's grubby or whatever, I can always wash it. Nothing that has sap on it, please, because that will skew my data. If nobody has anything, that's cool. I'll live. Just thought I'd ask.

If anyone has an offer, please DM me. Thanks.

Probably like concept cars. You think "Holy shit! I'd love to have one of those!", then when it's released to production it has half the features and looks stupid.

I'm pretty ambivalent on Milwaukee quality. My boss had two impact drivers quit working under warranty, and I saw one fail on a job right before my eyes. It worked, was put down, and never worked again. I don't have much experience with electric tools, but I've never seen problems like that with Dewalt.

This is where my question about electric saws came from. Electric tool opinions are all over the place. I suspect it has more to do with brand loyalty than objective quality. You know what to expect with Stihl, Husky, echo, and Poulan. Electric tools seem like more of a crapshoot.

My milwaukee drill loosens the tightening ring because of the hard stop of the electronic brake, so i have to manually ease it off to a stop each time. it's in the reviews. Hopefully it has long since been fixed, but that's a deal breaker for many having your bit fall out every 2-3 screws.

Milwaukee, DeWalt, Rigid Makita. Ryobi is happy homeowner garbage. YMMV.

Three cycles it took to wash the sap out of my pants! With sawgas dousing/scrubbing before every load! Not the one I took the picture in, but anywho, it was one of the sappyest trees I've ever been in. The trunk was all but covered in a quarter inch of dripping, honey like resin. Even the mechanical devices struggled, the unicender was milking pitch put of the rope like water, and the rope grabs wouldn't let go. My KlimbAir refused to feed properly, and a rope on rope hitch would have locked up tight. No pics because I didn't touch my phone lolz.

Milwaukee, DeWalt, Rigid Makita. Ryobi is happy homeowner garbage. YMMV.

Three cycles it took to wash the sap out of my pants! With sawgas dousing/scrubbing before every load! Not the one I took the picture in, but anywho, it was one of the sappyest trees I've ever been in. The trunk was all but covered in a quarter inch of dripping, honey like resin. Even the mechanical devices struggled, the unicender was milking pitch put of the rope like water, and the rope grabs wouldn't let go. My KlimbAir refused to feed properly, and a rope on rope hitch would have locked up tight. No pics because I didn't touch my phone lolz.
I told John when we removed that white pine, if this is what tree work was I wouldn’t like it. I hate pitch! Join the club, right?

I like Makita for the 18v platform as they never let me down. I use the he Milwaukee 12v platform for the specialty plumbing tools they have. The dang batteries like to drop out of their 12v tools though. The sawzall really drops batteries.

The line launcher looks cool, batteries have come a long way and the tools are adapting to the different jobs better as time goes on. Milwaukee is pretty good, they seem to be the favorite in construction, but I'm a big fan of makita. I have a bunch of rigid stuff too, and i like them a lot too. I still personally prefer corded tools for most things tho, batteries are nowhere close to the durability and functionality in crappy environments. I've been in steam vaults working where the batteries get too hot to work, very annoying fighting your tools when in an environment like that. The grinders are still no where close to comparable yet, and i like using a 9" for most stuff so no way. We have some 6 and 4" milwaukee ones at work and i pretty much refuse to even use them anymore, good for a small quick job but when you're doing heavier work they simply can't keep up, and have no torque compared to a wired grinder.

Back