How'd it go today?

"Be at my place by 5:30, I want to get over there by 6, so we can get as much brush out of the tree as possible before the crane gets there."

So I parked the truck at 5:25, transferred my cooler and day bag from my truck to his, and plugged in my phone.

He finally started his truck at 7:56. Then we hooked up the dump trailer and headed to the brush pit. Then circle k. It's now 8:42 and we're finally getting to the job. We'll see how today goes...

20240606_084348.jpg
20240606_084322.jpg

That's annoying as shit, and disrespectful of your time. On a practical note, earlier's better than later to take advantage of cooler temps, or whatever passes for those where you're at.

I hated working for poorly organised outfits, sure things can not work out but as has been said being disrespectful of your time really grinds my gears, paid or not.

That's a bummer. The successful outfits I've worked for, other issues aside, were very organized. You showed up and went to work after morning briefing. Early is on time. On time is late!

Crane had another engagement, and the boss took a while in the tree, so here's where we're at now as we break for lunch.
20240606_114829.jpg 20240606_114853.jpg

I'm paid from the time I show up, til I leave, thus he pays for his disorganization. I don't like to judge, and I don't want to disparage, but...

This kid makes me feel old sometimes, the dad in me is often raging in its cage.

Yeah, that’s bullshit.

I read somewhere.
‘I’d rather work for a dick who knew what he was doing, than a nice guy who didn’t have a clue’
I dislike bumper sticker philosophy, but I agree with the meaning.

Well, the kid's still young. Kave also has the opportunity to be a good teacher, if the kid can be a good student. It's satisfying seeing n00bs develop over time. Unfortunately, many don't develop all that well.

Got back to a routine after trip to Oregon. Got an email from the president of the Portland turners club that hosted the symposium. After having flown home for the symposium he had flown back to New Jersey to continue his trip around the states, having left his pickup and gooseneck travel trailer at his sister’s place.

He came by to see the rocking head lathe setup and two hours later we were loading my old Stubby S750 lathe in his truck. That’ll be lathe #5 for him - (he teaches classes), and that gets me down to three lathes and more shop space. 🙂

Attachments

• IMG_1899.jpeg
    IMG_1899.jpeg
    457.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1853.jpeg
    IMG_1853.jpeg
    301.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1852.jpeg
    IMG_1852.jpeg
    356.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1844.jpeg
    IMG_1844.jpeg
    656 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
A z rig implies multiple anchor points, that's just a 3:1.
You only need one anchor point for a Z-Rig, one pull strand, and one load strand, which is holding the load. Your system exhibits all three of these characteristics. That is a Z-Rig. I'm guessing the load strand is routed through some kind of pulley or ring up in the canopy so that you can lower and raise your "sticks."

Here's a diagram of a Z-Rig that I've rotated and horizontally flipped to match your exact hauling method. You can see that the only difference is that you haven't used a rigging plate and that you've extended the final pulley (it's a COD/Change of Direction pulley) using a sling, and that you didn't use any prusiks for progress capture.

Z-Rig 2.jpg

Here's the diagram in its original orientation for those of you who can't read upside down...

Z-Rig 2 2B.jpg

Thanks for acknowledging that progress capture might have actually been helpful. It's nice to have my ideas and suggestions validated by a fellow tree climber!

Attachments

• Z-Rig.jpg
    Z-Rig.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 0
Nope. This was fine gravel, and the point would stop occasionally, then break through a rock and keep going. I guess they are very popular in Wisconsin, Upper Michigan, etc. Surprisingly, our local Tractor Supply had all the parts in stock.

You could rig up your own cable tool one if you needed to, I've been toying with the idea myself since I'm on a bored well and have to haul water from time to time.

Yes, that's the one. He already had a point that was rotten in the same spot. It got pulled when they dug for the new foundation. We knew we had pretty good odds going into the project.

I'm not sure how to tell if kraut goes bad. It's really just cabbage that went off. I guess there has to be a death date at some point, but I haven't found it yet.

Back