How'd it go today?

Basically, it’s really hard to get the fuel exactly right all the time, so for more power they just have extra. And yes, older engines when set up for high rpm power didn’t work well at lower rpm. One of the big advances in modern engine power and fuel economy is variable cam timing.

Question... Whenever I'm around some kind of street rod, or other vintage enthusiast type car, they always smell like they're running rich. To the best of my memory, they've always smelled like they run rich, even when the cars weren't all that vintage, but went on to their new owners. I don't remember that smell from stock carbureted vehicles. Is my memory faulty, or does something change when it goes to "hotrod".

I kind of like the smell, but if every car smelled like that, it would be pretty bad, and I doubt I'd like it so much.
It's a combination of no catalytic converter and running rich. I don't know how lean you can run a big engine at idle, because leaner will decrease the duration of high cylinder pressure, and it decreases the overall exhaust volume to a certain extent.

…a carb mixes the fuel where it first comes in and there are issues with it staying mixed and burning completely. Fuel injection right in the cylinders with modern tech puts the exact amount in the in the exact place at the exact time.

Notice how much quieter modern diesels are? I’ve heard the injectors fire 7 times a second or something. Many times in one compression stroke.

I used to enjoy tinkering with tuning engines, mainly with a vacuum gauge. They always ran a little smoother and better a little rich.

I have a couple old vehicle projects and if I ever get them going, they will have catalytic converters instead of mufflers.

I'm officially on the boss's ass to go to a doctor. It seems a large part of the issue in the morning is him trying to catch his stomach. Not to get too deep into it, but the symptoms he described sounds a lot like Chron's. He's 24, he needs to get a handle on whatever this is, and yesterday.

This explains a lot.

What does he eat? Too much sugar or oil or even caffeine can cause problems. He might try something simple like 100% meat and water, maybe fresh figs as well.

Having another great day enjoying the Great Smoky Mountains. We’ve done a lot of hiking which had great views with an abundance of wildlife. We did a good bit of swimming in the cold streams and rivers. It takes to long to load photos so those will have to wait. Just going to relax the rest of the day until we head out to dinner. Probably a good night for the hot tub.

I hear you on that, the honey do list is never ending. Been doing car/ truck maintenence, waiting on an igniter to fix mom's dryer, and a bunch of other stuff that had to get done. Tomorrow I'm pulling all the poison ivy and other weeds out of the flower beds, fun lol. We did some hot taps (welding then drilling into live lines for different things) today, and since they needed them done quickly i did them rather than the apprentice. We had a lift but it was a one man scissor, so it required me to stand on the rungs awkwardly all day. A few hours in i started noticing my slip on boots likely don't have a steel shank, and by lunch i noticed that my knees were also feeling the awkwardness, so I'm pretty sore tonight. Ended up climbing up and standing up on the pipes for the tapping part to make it a bit more comfortable, and of course 1 size of bit (last one we had of course) was getting dull so i fought that more than i needed to.

Got them done tho, and I'll be back Monday watching the apprentice weld again, we just started some stick welded 8" carbon so he's really gonna get some hood time, and give me time to really get him dialed in. He's really doing good and I'm pushing his comfort level and abilities pretty hard, and the stuff I've been trying to teach him is finally making sense. It's always fun to see a young guy who really wants it and has been working really really hard to get there finally have it all click into place one day. Another week or so I'll start making him do them all in position rather than rolling them, and in a month or so I'll be taking the grinders away from him :evil:

How'd it go these past 2 weeks? Well, work is insanely slow for this time of year, I went to Atlanta to visit wife's family and to see Kid Rock in a huge field with 30-50k other rednecks, Kid Rock was freakinggggggg totally awesome, met a bunch of cool peeps at the show, came home and had covid for the past week which was quite rough, KOd me almost as bad as Lyme disease. Back to work Monday. ;) :|:

Sorry to hear you had Covid, Cory. I had Lymes about 2 months after Covid and they had many overlapping symptoms. The worst were the rigors (temperature of 104 but so cold you violently convulse/shiver to the point of extreme abdominal pain but so lethargic you can’t pull the covers up.

I was riding my bike up to the trails behind the community college and one of my neighbors and his sons were coming back the other direction. We stopped and talked and they were going to hit the trails, but his son had a fall and they were returning home. We dropped his son at my house, so his boy could play with mine and then we hit the trails together which was fun until I got a flat tire. I told him he could keep going and I would just make my way back, but he walked to the gas station with me I pumped it up and had just enough to make it home and change my tube , getting ready to take my son and his friend to the movies. I’m really hoping my new mountain bike comes in tomorrow as promised as I’ll have just enough time to assemble it before doing a four hour ride. Maybe not the smartest thing to take a brand new bike on a four hour trip , but I can’t help it

Last edited:
Whole fam chipped in. Our internet, I pay almost as much for, has been crap for a while. Since our options are worse crap, this is the best solution.
Two kids in school on computers, the wife and I on our and streaming is our TV. Movies. Dont watch much else.
Yes, star link...

What are the power requirements? I desperately need internet/wifi calling at the sawmill. I could potentially install fiber, but that's not free install anymore, and it's $110/month.

Not sure exactly, but a lot of the boats up here now use it. Probably just a 12 volt system? Unless they have some sort of inverter setup.

Back