How'd it go today?

I worked today end now I'm trying to fix the wife's jeep patriots wheel sensor, everyone's got a wrench in their hands today

Rain started here just as it was getting dark. The only lights I'm seeing are the one I turned on out back to keep the fox away.

Nah, the retainer clip that holds it on rusted away, so i gotta strip it down enough to see what i can do. Realized i always rent a puller or build one and then loose it, so i built one that i can use a bottle jack with (among other things, been needing to build one for awhile). So since that's 10,000 degrees now with all the welding on it I'm calling it a day. Haven't welded at home for awhile so the machine is running a tad bit rough, but it'll work. Quick cobble job with old rod and parts i had laying around, usually you just use plate on the top but that bit of angle was good enough and will be nice for certain things.

20240511_201903.jpg

Maybe that guy can send some of the fun your way :^D

Whatcha up to there?
Fixing the little ignition modual actuator thingy. Key switch turns gear, gear pushes toothed rod with pin to push a block that moves the switch pin that moves the slide that touches contacts that says off, run, start.
Its down in the side of the steering column. And it takes a little doing and marking to get it back into position. Did I mention it's also spring loaded :|:

This was after I changed the wifes oil in the Yukon.
Boy was I pissed off!
Sometimes I have her take it to a local mechanic I can trust. Guess one of the guys is new or something.
Oil plug on a 5.3 does not need a breaker bar to unscrew. Yes, it was that tight. I'm suprised the aluminum oil pan drain did not get stripped. Has a rubber washer btw. 25 ft lbs maybe should be...
Got it loose, but that gasket is wasted, new plug time.
Then the filter. Holy shit. My adjustable strap filter wrench would not budge it. Went to find my steel band wrench. Some moron obviously used it and bent the handle to useless. So, how to turn a 20 minute job into two hours. Run into town (Katy had run in earlier and got oil and filter as they were out of her oil yesterday), buy a new band wrench and a socket style 3/8ths drive fitted cup. New plug with magnet. Go back up hill. I barely got it. Had to slowly work it loose. Next step would have been pound a screw driver through it.
I am going to have a serious talk with my bud, the shop owner. He makes Nice Guy Dave look all cuddly.

That shit pisses me off. The old Dodge would go to the mechanic, and he always changed the oil even though nobody said to. That was supposed to be my job. Well, they obviously hired a gorilla to tighten the drainplug and oil filter. Since I haven't had a filter wrench in about 40 years cause I know how to install filters, I'd have to puncture it with a screwdriver to twist it off. The drainplug had to be removed with vicegrips, and I could see the pan distorting while trying to twist the plug out :^S

I like the chain vise grips, they work really well. I also have a little crappy chain tong that is used with a 1/2" drive, those are really handy too and can get into deeper spots. That sucks tho man, and why I'm the only one who touches my stuff, life's too short to fix other people's stupid shit.

Yes. And you have to pay them to mess your stuff up.

I have a pair of channel locks made for oil filters I use if it will fit. Chain grips too. Only takes a little help if you lubed the ring and didn't tighten the shit out of it.

Changed my Terrain's oil today. It has a lovely plastic cover that screws on over a paper element. You are supposed to have a special socket to fit it. 1 1/4 fits fine if they left you enough room to back it out. And a straight shot at it would be nice also. You have to wonder if they don't do this shit on purpose. I guess I should buy the socket or find a cheap ass one and cut it down a little. Not like I will be doing a lot more oil changes on it. 2013 and salt is chewing it up.

Funny oil change fiasco. My bud let a friend use his garage to change his oil. He said go ahead and went to bed. When he got up he found his friend sleeping under the car on cardboard. Seems he couldn't get the filter loose and pounded a screwdriver through it. It was so tight the screwdriver ripped the metal off. My bud got a big chisel and hammered it off.

They absolutely do it on purpose, and just so their dealers can make more money. It's honestly become a game of redneck and hacker vs big corporations, and it's being litigated and legislated as we speak (been going on years now). Basically the design is done so the parts have a set time frame for when they are to fail (that's the literal purpose of engineering but they're getting really good at it), and large corps like apple have lost class action lawsuits over it when the scheme works too well. They also design in unnecessary complexity just so the average guy can't figure it out, or require special tooling just to fix it. Perfect example: this bullshit I'm trying to fix on this jeep patriot.

The vehicle has a speed sensor on each tire, which allows it to use a computer to have abs, traction control, and a so called 4x4. It has a front and rear wiring harness with all the components integrated so you have to replace the whole thing, and the rear ones go in the housing from the axle side, so you have to completely disassemble the whole thing just to get to it. It's in a pocket so its a nightmare to work on and it'll hold water and salt (like the old school ford leaf spring hangers), and a small sheet metal clip holds it in place. When it comes loose it throws all sorts of lights and will limit the speed to 45 or so, maybe even applying brakes sporadically and other randomness.

By the time it rusts out the housing is pretty rusted too, and so simply replacing the harness that snakes everywhere won't work because it attaches to sheet metal that's curved so the angle is wrong. The actual designed fix is to replace the entire wheel assembly and speed sensor harness, which of course means pulling the damn axle, not even counting the might as well replace both sides part :lol: The redneck fix, which I'm obviously going to attempt because I'm not trying to spend half a weeks wages and a ton of time to replace unnecessary parts is to fabricate a new sheet metal bracket to hold the damn thing in place, and then jacking both rears up and spinning it by hand so you can manually align it and check it with a multimeter to confirm that it's reading right before you put it all back together.

I had a Lumina I could change the oil filter from up top. Easy peasy. A few years later had a Century with the same exact engine. The engineers chose to put the AC accumulator and a wad of wires around the filter to make it difficult to access even from down under. By design? Sure seemed so.

A couple of years ago I totally thrashed my anno 1846 apple tree in order to keep it from disintegrating.
Posted pictures here and I think Sean suggested that I put some struts under it.

Well, the farrier's horse and the shoemaker's kids and all that.
Finally got around to it. 20240512_153205.jpg 20240512_153231.jpg 20240512_153219.jpg

Sun's out now. Thank god it rained last night. I wouldn't have wanted to get overstimulated seeing northern lights or anything...

edit:
Raining again. At least it helps me feel like the world isn't conspiring against me :^D

Last edited:
Looks like a good set of jumpers is going to cost$$$, although I'm not surprised. As you all know, because I won't stop talking about it, I have Anderson connectors on everything at the mill now. I do have 35' jumpers that will plug into any of these machines, but I want a cable with Andersons on both ends. I think I'll have to wait a while to make those.:/:

Screenshot_20240512_164623_Chrome.jpg

I have a small one, too small for the mill. Some of these Anderson connectors will be used to run a 12vdc fuel pump someday when I get my storage tank going. Also, I will be able to have hydraulics anywhere on the mill with a long connector cable to the tractor. If I did have a jump pack, I would have to put an Anderson connector on it. :lol:

Things dis not go to plan this morning. Truck will have to go to the shop to have the bearings done. The hex head screws that hold the hubs together are stripped. Extracting them isn't exactly something I'm willing to do with hand tools in a parts store parking lot. The ball joints need done too. So I guess I'll limp it along until I can afford to put her in the shop. I don't put too many miles on her anymore. It's only 3 from camp to the boss's house, and the stores are on the way.

So I'll spend the afternoon with the kids and the evening with the new girlfriend.

Back