How'd it go today?

Didn't do much today. Did a small job, played on the computer, and split wood.

The consignment shop had an 017 that looked like NOS from the picture, but it said it had a new carb :shrugs: They wanted way too much for it; $175. For $25 more you could get a brand new 170. It sold quick though. The only way that looked interesting is if someone was trying to collect every 0nn. It would be fun seeing them all together, and they're still modern enough to be worth using.

Black cherry? Bark looks right to me from my phone but I can’t make out the twigs enough. Branch structure is questionable as well

Had an easy enough day. We finished up that spar from yesterday’s rain out and cleaned up our section. Then we went and finished the other section off that was in one of my pictures in the work thread. Finally we collected 14 mats that were buried in a creek/ swamp that another crew had left for some unknown reason. That was a muddy mess. I’m just glad they had a count because I could only see two of them.
I brought another tote of firewood into the garage and loaded up some carpentry tools for tomorrow. I’ve got to go get blood work done again ( long story but basically they lost my results) and then BJJ in the morning. After that it’ll be working out of the bucket truck to frame in some soffit and hang siding on the barn at work.

Had a lead (the toxic heavy metal, not ahead or in front) renovator procedure course all day. Mostly classroom and a little hands on. All about how the EPA wants you to handle lead painted surfaces when working on a building that contains/may contain the element. At least there was an Indian buffet 2 minutes from the classroom. Had to climb some trees on the adjacent properties after lunch to keep from falling asleep after such a belly stuffing. Got a 92 on the test which isn’t saying much as we reviewed the test throughout the class.

The Schonstedt is the industry standard for surveying. We have a few of them, but they're all broken. Currently using a SubsurfaceInstruments locator. More comfortable to hold, but doesn't work quite as well. Dunno how they compare to other options for finding steel in wood, but they're quite sensitive. Also quite expensive. About the price of a pro saw.

@Maximalist that was a good guessing game. I can certainly see the horse chestnut now but the bark on that tree seemed a bit smoother or tighter than the HC bark I normally see.

Stig, how do you like the Blundstones? I wouldn't have guessed that to be ash from the pics; resembles sugar maple.

Hard to find a Sugar Maple around here.
I love Blundstones.
Best moment of the day is when I take off my work boots and slip into those for the trip home.

Centipedes are venomous, although, to a human, their bite is merely extremely painful, not fatal. @Treeaddict Some centipedes can be up to 12 inches long, but I'm not sure if they're that big where @davidwyby took that picture.

As for me, I've been spending every single day off of work, and time after work, making as much YouTube content as I possibly can. I have to move from Arizona over to Massachusetts by July 15th of this year and my goal is to make a metric TON of content to the point where, by the time July rolls around, I can focus on finding a new apartment in MA, one finding a new psychiatrist, having my belongings sent by a moving company to MA, flying to MA, moving into my new apartment, finding a new job, and quite literally anything else of importance.

In the last two weeks alone, I was able to make 17 - yes, SEVENTEEN - new videos and none of them are rush jobs either. Some of them are as long as 20 minutes (after editing). Some videos are about knots (where I revisit knots I made shitty videos for at the start of my YouTube career, and now I not only demonstrate how to tie the knot, but demonstrate how to install hardware, how to tie it in multiple different ways/different versions, and discuss several popular applications for each one, etc.), about redirects for SRS and MRS, about mechanical advantage on limb walks, about the RADS climbing methods, and, of course, about friction hitches!

Because of all of the effort I've put into content creation, I now already have videos scheduled to be automatically published once per week up until June 18th! So in two weeks, I was able to make exactly 3.5 months worth of content. If I keep this pace, by the time I have to move out of my apartment by July 15, I'll have enough content to where I won't have to make another video for another year and nine months (1 year 9 months). I don't expect to spend that much energy making content, though. I'll get burnt out. But I'll definitely make another 7 months of content at least (which will take 2 weeks at this pace, but I'll use the remaining 4 months that I have in Arizona to pull it off and, only if I feel inspired will I exceed that pace). Seven months will be more than enough content to give me that buffer that I'm looking for with my move.

I also don't want to make a ton of new content because of the fact that I'll be able to make MUCH better videos in MA, where they have REAL trees. Not these glorified shrubs and lame conifers that run rampant in Arizona. I'm blessed with a few deciduous trees on my apartment complex's property, but the beyond that, the options are depressingly limited. In MA, there are stunning, impressive deciduous trees EVERYWHERE.

EDIT: I forgot to include the Shorts (short form) videos in my calculations. I actually made 22 videos in total. Use that to extrapolate the new values for everything else on your own because I'm way too lazy to figure it out at this point and my guess is that, if I don't care, then you definitely don't care haha

Last edited:
Centipedes are venomous, although, to a human, their bite is merely extremely painful, not fatal. @Treeaddict Some centipedes can be up to 12 inches long, but I'm not sure if they're that big where @davidwyby took that picture.

As for me, I've been spending every single day off of work, and time after work, making as much YouTube content as I possibly can. I have to move from Arizona over to Massachusetts by July 15th of this year and my goal is to make a metric TON of content to the point where, by the time July rolls around, I can focus on finding a new apartment in MA, one finding a new psychiatrist, having my belongings sent by a moving company to MA, flying to MA, moving into my new apartment, finding a new job, and quite literally anything else of importance.

In the last two weeks alone, I was able to make 17 - yes, SEVENTEEN - new videos and none of them are rush jobs either. Some of them are as long as 20 minutes (after editing). Some videos are about knots (where I revisit knots I made shitty videos for at the start of my YouTube career, and now I not only demonstrate how to tie the knot, but demonstrate how to install hardware, how to tie it in multiple different ways/different versions, and discuss several popular applications for each one, etc.), about redirects for SRS and MRS, about mechanical advantage on limb walks, about the RADS climbing methods, and, of course, about friction hitches!

Because of all of the effort I've put into content creation, I now already have videos scheduled to be automatically published once per week up until June 18th! So in two weeks, I was able to make exactly 3.5 months worth of content. If I keep this pace, by the time I have to move out of my apartment by July 15, I'll have enough content to where I won't have to make another video for another year and nine months (1 year 9 months). I don't expect to spend that much energy making content, though. I'll get burnt out. But I'll definitely make another 7 months of content at least (which will take 2 weeks at this pace, but I'll use the remaining 4 months that I have in Arizona to pull it off and, only if I feel inspired will I exceed that pace). Seven months will be more than enough content to give me that buffer that I'm looking for with my move.

I also don't want to make a ton of new content because of the fact that I'll be able to make MUCH better videos in MA, where they have REAL trees. Not these glorified shrubs and lame conifers that run rampant in Arizona. I'm blessed with a few deciduous trees on my apartment complex's property, but the beyond that, the options are depressingly limited. In MA, there are stunning, impressive deciduous trees EVERYWHERE.

EDIT: I forgot to include the Shorts (short form) videos in my calculations. I actually made 22 videos in total. Use that to extrapolate the new values for everything else on your own because I'm way too lazy to figure it out at this point and my guess is that, if I don't care, then you definitely don't care haha
Oh piss off insulting the trees here! If you didn't spend all your time the the snobsdale desert, you'd see we do have big, beautiful impressive trees. And topography and a distinct lack of Boston.

Back