How'd it go today?

Lolz, there is no "done" only "better". It's pretty bad. I'm working it in sections, and this one is pretty bad. Once I get things in better shape, one of the neighbors is having a truck or two of cinders dumped.

Weather was nearly perfect today, just a little too much wind for sawmilling. Even with a mask, it was pretty nasty, especially with it being locust sawdust. Was going fairly well until I got a couple of logs in a row with metal. That put a major dent in my limited band supply. Threw in the towel and came home to prep some slabs for the wood stove while it is still light out.

20240312_160431.jpg

Did a short job, then worked on the pond. Chipper's still running great, but a bunch of vines got wrapped around the yoke, and the feedwheel wouldn't come all the way down for small stuff. I'm looking at it thinking it might clear itself with use, and then I thought otherwise. Stuff's never that easy, and it'll be needed this weekend for mostly small stuff. Had to take the yoke springs off, raise the feedwheel, then pull bits of vine out with my leatherman. I got it eventually, but there's probably still bits up there. I hate taking the springs off. It isn't hard. It's just a tedious job I don't feel like doing. I left them a little looser when I put them back; mostly for convenience in measuring, but I had a couple feedwheel freezes when running max size wood in it, so maybe that'll help. I'll have to see how it performs.

Bummer about the metal Dave. I'd consider locust *highly* likely to have metal. Where they grow, and the way they grow encourages fence pieces, and miscellaneous junk to end up inside.

This was a large butt log from an old homestead. Not entirely a surprise, just really bad timing. I will check the last one to see if it has metal chips stuck to the tips of the teeth. Sometimes you get lucky and you can brush them off and it won't be dulled too badly. The others are totally junk.

It sure can. That's also why I used the axe to excavate the metal. A 24" loop for the saw has to be $50 these days. WM has stopped sharpening blades, too, so it's a new band every time you hit something.

Anybody ever used a Garret carrot for this? They're meant to find metal in the dirt... idk, I mill with a chainsaw, so I guess I just keep cussing.

FINALLY! After over a month of waiting, I got word from my ophthalmologist that my new glasses are finally ready to be picked up! Living without glasses has been quite the inconvenience. I can barely read standard size text on my laptop screen and have to both squint and get in closer than usual in order to read anything. The frames I got for my glasses are so awesome. They are made by Oakley (who makes frames mostly for use by people who are doing sports) and they are a clear sort of plastic material.

The best part is how the parts that extend out and go behind my ears are very curved, which means that they sort of wrap around the back of my head, which will keep them perfectly in place whenever I go climbing! I used to have trouble with my previous pair of glasses, because they would start to slide down my nose once I started to sweat, and I kept having to push them back into place repeatedly with my finger. Also, I shelled out for the polarized lenses, which will help reduce glare and, evidently, it also improves color perception, and it will protect my eyes from UV radiation. As someone with blue eyes (people with this eye color have the most sensitive eyes out of any color), this is pretty important.

Filmed a video of myself demonstrating and testing a friction hitch that I created and developed which works without a rope wrench. After I finished editing the footage, I uploaded the video to my channel and published it. You can watch the video on my hitch making thread if you are so inclined.

I've decided that I'm going remake the first 40-50 videos that I made on my YouTube channel. Every single one of those video covered one knot each, and in my original videos, I simply showed people how to tie the knot. However, back then I did not know as much about YouTube-ing as I do right now (over 1.5 years after first creating my channel), all of those 40-50 earliest videos were a) shot in portrait mode; long form content must always be shot in landscape mode; only short form content (Shorts) should be shot in portrait mode, b) I used the light from my head lamp and one of my flashlights in order to illuminate my table where I filmed my tying demos, which resulted in a light that looked too yellow and which was emitted from the wrong directions; my current lighting is much whiter and emitted from overhead from two separate directions, c) at that time, I did not have the deep black table cloth that can be seen on my "tying table" in all of my videos about knot tying that came after all of these videos and, as a result, the lights I were using created distracting reflections on my uncovered, highly shellacked table, and d) in my earlier videos, there is sometimes a distracting amount of miscellaneous crap on the table, in full frame of the camera, which is super unprofessional looking. Oh wait, one more: e) all of those early videos were published to YouTube without me having done ANY editing whatsoever, which is something that I would never do now that I use one of the best video editing software programs currently available (Adobe Premiere Pro).

Inspired, I've already redone the videos for four really awesome knots and my new approach goes well beyond simply teaching the viewer how to tie the knot. Now my videos will involve an introduction, a tying demo (for some knots there are more than one tying method that will be demonstrated), some knots include demos for how to install closed pieces of hardware onto the knot, and for every knot there will be a discussion/demo about some of the best ways with which the knot can be used effectively.

Super excited that I've almost hit 6K subscribers. Last month, according to my statistics, I had the best month EVER. In fact, it was so good that my view, watch time, and subscriber counts were so high that it was DOUBLE the amount of the best month I had on record prior to February. Also, I'm making increasingly more money through the AdSense program, and last month I made a record amount of money ($111). This month, in March, I'm already on track to a) perform even better and b) to make more money. Woooohoooo! 🌳🌲🌴🍁🍂🌵:boogie:

I do not know how this ash-leaved maple (Acer negundo) behaves in America, we also call it the American maple, but this tree does not want to grow up at all. This maple tries to grow with a slope, and quite often has a significant slope. This specimen surpassed all the rest of its fellows!)

Many oaks in the College Station area of Texas develop extremely heavy ponderous branches, and blocks supporting them is a common sight. Often the support blocks are made of steel, stone or concrete, to inhibit bugs and rot. Don't have many hardwoods in Arizona, so I'll have to look into it's habit here in the states.

I do not know how this ash-leaved maple (Acer negundo) behaves in America, we also call it the American maple, but this tree does not want to grow up at all. This maple tries to grow with a slope, and quite often has a significant slope. This specimen surpassed all the rest of its fellows!)
We have Acer Negundo here as a garden tree, never seen it do that. I wonder if it’s snow causing it to bend?

I thought that looked like a box elder. The young twigs didn't look purple enough. Had to check the Latin name. They tip over here, but usually uproot or break off and die. Weed tree that was not around in the wild 50 years ago. Stupid people planted it for a yard tree and now we are infested along the creeks. If all the other species die maybe it will be welcome.

I didn't "major" in Latin.
Back in the day, we had to take a year of Latin in 9th grade and pass an exam in order to qualify for college.

When you fart around in as many languages as I do, knowing the Linnean/Latin name of things makes it easy to communicate with others of the same ilk.

Back