How'd it go today?

@Dave Shepard Also, you might want to use an oral solution of chlorhexidine gluconate, which is probably the most powerful oral antiseptic that you can obtain over-the-counter, and it is the number one choice of dentists by prescription as well (the prescription version is just an ever so slightly higher concentration, and sometimes it's the exact same concentration as OTC). It's powerful stuff and it won't irritate your mouth either; not like an alcohol based rinse. It will also have a much longer lasting effect than alcohol based oral rinses, which quite honestly don't do very much, as the bacteria will return to your month in a matter of hours, as microbes in your mouth will double every 4.7 hours, and it can damage tissue over time (which is why nobody's dentist will likely ever recommend an alcohol based rinse). That's a very precise number, I know. I made an average of three different medical sources. Good luck!

Last edited:
Knotorious, yes, all that you mention has been part of this process, at some point in the last ten years. This office prescribes no pain killers, period. They recommend alternating ibuprofen and acetaminophen every four or six hours. I don't find painkillers to be very effective. Percs work, but they are hard to get, and I really don't want them anyway, except when the ER nurse tells me to go home and scrub my road rash with mild soap.:O In my experience, once the tooth is out, the pain goes away. Unless the Dr spent over an hour trying to yank a tricuspid out and the resulting trauma was excruciating. That was not a good day. The tiny Dr almost pulled my then 330 pounds out of the chair by my tooth several times. :X Impressed with his determination, but I suffered badly for a week afterwards.

Just tried to set a line and got my throw weight lodged between a tight crotch. It's my 12oz, too, which is the one I use 70% of the time. I considered cutting my nice Dyneema throwline, but I would have lost about 40 feet out of 250 feet, and that seemed unacceptable to me.

The good thing about ropes, and throwlines, is that you get two ends for free! So I sorted out the other end and used my 16oz throw weight to set a line and went on a rescue mission. I was able to grab it and then reset the line where I actually wanted it to be, this time without getting it stuck! I then filmed some fresh content for the Tube of You's.

Throw weights are so hardy. I think I have had this 12oz for 6 years and it has basically no damage whatsoever. It's just a bit grubby. My 16oz and 8oz get kind of jealous because they don't see as much action unless the tree is either small/I need to redirect the line while aloft (8oz) or the tree has really abrasive bark (16oz).

My grappling hook sees even less action. Once I move to Massachusetts, though, I'll be using it all the time to build Tyrolean traverses between trees. I go into the wildlife preserve adjacent to my parent's house and there's the looooooong row of trees, and I pack a lunch and water in a backpack and play a game called The Ground Is Lava (lmao), and I try to see how many I can crossover between in a day.

I was inspired by this documentary where these two guys traverse 82 trees in 5 days, sleeping in the canopy overnight, with hundreds of pounds of gear and equipment. It's fun to watch. Give it a look-see if you have some free time.

I need to figure out why I shouldn't buy a 7310. @Treeaddict, it might be a good time to get a 2511...

View attachment 136785
620/590 is not bad ported. The oil pump and tank may be too small for larger than 24" bars, but it will do it. I knew someone who ran 28" on his a lot. I prefer it as a light 20" saw, but then you might as well go with an extra light ported 490, which can be quite impressive. It's a bummer they replaced it with a heavier model. It used to be the lightest 50cc saw out there.

Getting back to work at the sawmill now that the tooth situation is under control. Big relief there. It's hard to believe you can be completely taken out by a tooth, but I was. I think the sleep deprivation played a big part. The dentist's office has been great about trying to get me in. Probably get the root canal done next week, instead of mid-April.

Looked at a bunch of work that's probably coming next month. Word is getting out that I'm on my own again and I'm starting to get inquiries about sawmill and timber frame work.

I got a humorous letter from the power company this afternoon where they tell me that if I don't pay them by yesterday, they will shut my power off two days ago. They must have a glitch in their automated system, because this isn't the first time they've done this. I think whoever wrote the software must have been watching Monty Python's "The Other Other Operation" sketch.:lol:

Tooth pain is too close to the brain. It’s like instant pain transmission, almost like a church bell ringing in your skull. Good to hear that it is under control.

Rain day all day and still raining. I can’t remember the last time it was an all day soak like this. Much needed rain.
We did some welding on my skiddy forks nothing exciting. Then moved on to another welding project that involved my finger and a drill press pulley. Just the tip lol Anyway that got done.
Then I decided it wasn’t worth changing out the rear idlers on the mini and putting the new old tracks back on, it’s Friday. So that will be first thing Monday.

Did a couple small jobs, ate lunch, then got some firewood. I was debating between pond work and firewood, and the wood won out. I had some trash in the truck, and a dumpster was on the way to the wood. It was too wet to get back to my cherry spot, so I split some oak and brought it home. I meant to bring my poulan home so I could maybe work on it this weekend, but I forgot it. Maybe next week.

Today was my birthday. I didn't really celebrate at all., unless you consider buying four Cheesy Gordita Crunches from Taco Bell a celebration.

I did go out and film some new content, and transformed all the raw footage into a 20 minute masterpiece all about the RADS system. I don't ever really climb with it, but I know a lot of people do, so I thought I'd cover it comprehensively. Mission accomplished.

Hoping my new glasses are ready soon. I've gone the better part of two months without glasses ever since the hospital lost my last pair. Not sure what's taking so long. They told me two weeks, and it's been almost four, I think. Probably going to call them on Monday. Maybe they just forgot to call. Getting tired of squinting.

Back