How'd it go today?

Knee has been feeling a tad better with all this time off due to weather. Work a couple, rest a few, wash, rinse, repeat.
Most of my work of late has been ground based for fire safety and storm clean up.
SO not much climbing. Just little ascents here and there.
Last couple days have been more intensive, 5 hour series of climbs.
My confidence was starting to wane some. Feel out of shape a bit. Then I go look at the trees. Know fully well I can do what I need to do, but doubt I even want to or how capable I am of doing them. Then up I go and just smoke em. Nothing horribly challenging other than mental challenge. Getting over that it might hurt if I slip or later tonight. Can't bomb stuff but not a real roping challenge. Silly crap.
Levi noticed how well I monkeyed the trees today and that I was "all over them". Customer yesterday. How fast the work moved.
Sometimes I think I am my own worst critic and brick wall to over come.
Something an injury will obviously do to your confidence.
Just wanted to share that as it might help someone just get past their in head committee.

Not having a great last few days. Three days ago, I noticed that my lower legs have developed some sort of edema. They are probably 1.5-2x their normal size and when I smoosh the skin down, it will depress and stay that way, taking forever to slowly regain shape. I also noticed some dull pain in my abdomen, but brushed it off as me having maybe strained some muscles during a climb the day prior. Nope. Yesterday, I realized that the pain on my right abdominal region just below my rib cage had begun to radiate to my lower back on my right side. I'm no doctor, but I'm pretty sure that's exactly where my liver is located and that would fully explain the edema in my legs.

Tried to distract myself today by going for a climb. I felt weak and it didn't really distract me, but I cranked out some new content and then edited it. I'm thinking that if my situation doesn't improve by tomorrow morning, I'll head over to the ER. I don't have any jaundice, so I'm not concerned about liver failure. Still really concerned, though. I would go tonight, but it's a Friday and hospitals start getting packed right around this time and, with the exception of early mornings, continue to see more and more volume until the end of Sunday. Trust me, I know a lot about hospitals. So I'm thinking I'll go tomorrow morning very early to beat the rush.

Ugh. F*ck my life. If you guys don't hear from me, I've probably died. Just kidding. Sort of. =-D

Holy shit Knotty! Have you had anything like this before? It would be a good idea to get looked at by a doctor whether or not you start feeling better. Livers seem like the kind of thing that Just Works™. Better to get it looked at before permanent damage possibly occurs.

Holy shit Knotty! Have you had anything like this before? It would be a good idea to get looked at by a doctor whether or not you start feeling better. Livers seem like the kind of thing that Just Works™. Better to get it looked at before permanent damage possibly occurs.
Stop using scary buzz words like "permanent damage." You're making me want to go get help. I need you to enable my procrastination, not give me an intervention! =-P

Pretty sure the liver can regenerate to some extent...for whatever that's worth. Doesn't help me feel any better, though.

Well, just mind your brain and take care of yourself. Worrying won't do anything. Everything is what it is. Just has to be dealt with, but I'd definitely deal with it.

Well, just mind your brain and take care of yourself. Worrying won't do anything. Everything is what it is. Just has to be dealt with, but I'd definitely deal with it.
I was just messing with you. I appreciate your concern. I live 80% of my life inside of my head, so when I have serious physical symptoms like these, it makes me want to spend 100% of my life in my head. Which is no life at all. So I'm definitely going to deal with this tomorrow in some way or another. Pinky promise. =-D

Knotted-one,
It isn’t just liver. Kidneys can be implicated in dependent, pitting edema as you’ve described. Safer to get it checked out. Meanwhile get comfy with your legs ‘above’ the level of your heart.
Stay safe
Sheesh. Ya'll are going to give me a panic attack. I'd better get to the ER lickety-split tomorrow. If I die, I want @Kaveman and @lxskllr to have all of my gear. You'll have to split the friction hitch cord and I want you both to do something that I would never in my life do: actually use them on a climb! Do me proud, boys. I'll have my lawyer reach out to yours should the worst occur.

Seriously, though. Thanks to everyone for your concern. Good thing I'm like an upper class trophy wife and have four pillows on my bed. I can use three to raise my legs and prevent clots from forming heh heh

I just peeled myself out of bed. Been sleeping like shite the last few days. Just ordered an omelette with tater tots and a side of crispy bacon through Uber Eats, and I'm currently loading my backpack with my laptop, charger, phone charger, and a two foot section of rope and one hitch cord to keep me entertained and ready for a potentially lengthy stay.

Once my foods arrive and I have installed them into my gastrointestinal tract, I will summon a Lyft and seek medical attention at the closest emergency room.

I appreciate everyone's concern. What a loving community. I know I can sometimes act like a complete ass hat on here, but ya'll seem to actually care despite my sporadic idiocy and that's a beautiful thing.

Thanks again. I'll provide an update once I have answers. =-D

So, I went to the ER and had blood drawn and my liver enzymes weren't particularly elevated, but given my symptoms, something is obviously going on.

I shared with him that one of my medications was recently increased quite substantially as a result of a recent hospitalization for my disability which appears to coincide with the onset of these symptoms.

Because I had always tolerated the previous dose quite well, he told me to decrease it and to see how I respond. He told me that if the pain in my liver region doesn't improve in five days, or if at any point the pain worsens, I should return to the ER for further testing. He told me tht my large caffeine habit, in this case, was actually a good thing. When your body digests caffeine, it makes a chemical called paraxanthine that slows the growth of the scar tissue involved in fibrosis, which can protect against cirrhosis of the liver.

He gave me some diuretic medication to take to attempt to alleviate the flooding of fluids in my lower extremeties. It makes me piss like crazy, but that's the point.

Hopefully, everything improves from here, but we'll see.

Expended a reel of chain today. I made up three chains for my cs400 in preparation for changing spurs, and I had enough left over for a 2511 chain. I've never really swapped chains. I usually install a chain, and it's there til it's done. Curious to see how it goes as far as spur life is concerned.

I leave it on till it's done as well. My 346 has cut a lot of wood since new. More than 10 years old. Still on original spur. I think keeping a sharp chain and not forcing the tool helps. Reminds me I should take a look at it. Got to be getting worn out. Easier and quicker to file on the saw than to put a sharp chain on. It's hard to believe how long a chain lasts when you file it before it really gets dull.

The manual says 0.5mm wear, and it's time to change the spur. I figure that's overly conservative, so I pushed it up some. I have two grooves worn that might be 1mm each. I'd have to pull it out and look. I'm unsure of when a spur's really done though. I can't say the one I'm using is giving me any particular problems. Maybe I'll notice when I swap it out. A new spur might be a smoother ride :shrugs:

Heh... I don't think I've ever read the first page. Figured it was old news, and didn't bother. Weird that a sprocket came apart.

I just really want to thank all of you who have supported me during my recent medical complications. I think that my previous post garnered more support than any other post I've ever made on this forum. So thank you to all of you who expressed concern, who offered sage wisdom, and who encouraged me to seek out help while I had been procrastinating perhaps dangerously.

The Tree House is an incredibly special, sacred place, that, overall, is easily the best forum for tree climbers, "tree guys," and arborists. There are more genuine professionals on this forum than any other. I've spent time on Tree Buzz and the love simply isn't there. This is a select, premium community of experts (predominantly), and all around great guys and gals with unique, interesting, and overall endearing and relatable personalities.

It's nice for me to realize that, despite my many mistakes on this forum, many of you appear to have forgiven me and genuinely care about my well-being, and appreciate the content that I post on this forum. I've always been somewhat of an outsider on here due to the fact that I only climb recreationally. But all of you have shown me that, so long as I carry my weight on this forum, you are willing to support me implicitly -- and that's truly heartwarming.

So, in conclusion, thank you to everyone who demonstrated their support for me and my health. You won't be forgotten.

--Knotorious or, as @pigwot referred to me: "Knotted One" haha, that was a good one!

@Knotorious Has the swelling subsided? Any news from the hospital’s tests yet?
My liver is just fine. Tests came back "surprisingly normal," according to the doctor. They did a CT scan with contrast dye and it revealed that my liver is in the prelims of cirrhosis. He said so long as I don't continue to drink, it will reverse itself.

For those who don't know my history, I used to e a VICIOUS intravenous drug user, and have since abandoned drug use and struggled with alcoholism. This was a huge wakeup call for me. It has inspired me to stay away from alcohol more than ever before.

Anyways, he said the "texture of my liver" was granular, suggesting fat has begun to develop inside of it in response to my two years of on and off drinking vodka. Thankfully, if I stay the course now and don't continue to drink, I'll be fine and my liver will revive itself back to premium status.

He said my blood tests were "unremarkable," meaning I seemed in perfect health. My kidneys were fine, my gall bladder and pancreas are fine. He said that my protein was very low and that this was why my legs and fingers are so swollen. I'm not eating enough and I'm not eating healthily enough. My diet is total shite, to be honest. Because the fluids have nothing to attach to, my extremities are flooded with fluids. He told me to eat meat and to eat tons of protein. He quite literally said I could eat peanut butter out of a jar as much as I want bahaha.

This doctor was the tits. Down to earth, chill guy. Very intelligent. He showed me my scans of my liver and it put the fear of God in me.

Knotorious is going to start eating better and plans on hitting the grocery store tomorrow. Sorry, not sure why I'm talking in the third person.

@pigwot I really appreciate your concern. It means a lot to me.

Last edited:
Make sure you buy stuff your * going to* eat, and not stuff you "should" eat. No point in buying good food if it gets tossed. Better than jalapeño poppers is a low bar to cross, so you should be able to do better, even if the food you get isn't 'maximum health' or whatever.

Back