How'd it go today?

Got started on next year's firewood, and a little bit for this year. Stuff for this year I concentrated on deadwood that was suspended off the ground, and preferably branches that didn't require splitting. One small exception was a piece of lacebark elm...

IMG_20240209_135558316.jpg

This wood is gorgeous, and has a fantastic spicy scent. Just look at those sexy curves! I saved that piece for some cookies. I kinda want one of those trees in my yard now, but I don't have space, and I'm also getting old. Might not see it turn into anything.

Kinda wish you could send me a piece. I'd like to smell it lolz. Maybe I've just gotta come out to MD?

Been years since I was through those parts. It'd be nice now, older and wiser.

I could send you a piece of wood. This stuff's been down a couple years, and is still fragrant when cut. @Mellow ID'd it for me. I still didn't pay it much mind, but it was a suspended piece, so probably good for burning this year. I couldn't see the nice shape in the jumble of wood, and didn't cut on it previously cause it wasn't particularly in the way. I didn't realize how interesting it was.

I've been steadily harvesting cherry from this spot the last couple years. It's where a farmer blasted a path through the woods, and it's just a mess of downed trees. I particularly like cherry, but it looks like next year will be the last burning it almost exclusively. There may be some more hidden in the pile, but it might be more trouble than it's worth getting to it.

Finished the silver maple removal today with Mike. He did another fine job climbing. My 661 is cutting circles. Annoying, and it makes it particularly hard when cutting from two sides. I'm gonna break it down for cleaning tomorrow, and I'll give it a good look over. It's probably my chain with tooth lenghts consistently differen't from side to side.

IMG_20240210_092931091.jpg

Finished the silver maple removal today with Mike. He did another fine job climbing. My 661 is cutting circles. Annoying, and it makes it particularly hard when cutting from two sides. I'm gonna break it down for cleaning tomorrow, and I'll give it a good look over. It's probably my chain with tooth lenghts consistently differen't from side to side.

View attachment 136056
Did you put a filter on that picture?

Thank you again for all your hard work!

Next, we learn how to stump grind!

Probably a filter, but not intentional exactly. My phone has different 'quick' settings; Photo, portrait, video, pro... Well, 'pro' seems to shoot in sepia. I could probably change it in the settings, but I like sepia. Different modes can be picked from an on screen menu that slides back and forth at the bottom of the screen, and they sometimes accidentally get fat fingered, and switched. Today was one of those times, but I thought the sepia looked good, and went with it. I normally shoot in 'photo'.

Got started on next year's firewood, and a little bit for this year. Stuff for this year I concentrated on deadwood that was suspended off the ground, and preferably branches that didn't require splitting. One small exception was a piece of lacebark elm...

View attachment 136034

This wood is gorgeous, and has a fantastic spicy scent. Just look at those sexy curves! I saved that piece for some cookies. I kinda want one of those trees in my yard now, but I don't have space, and I'm also getting old. Might not see it turn into anything.
Sassafras?

Hauled about 60lbs of rope, gear, and filming equipment out to this tree nearby and set everything up for a shoot all about mechanical advantage, hauling systems and progress capture.

I film one scene and one system; a 2:1 with progress capture, explaining COD (change of direction) pulleys, and how they don't add any mechanical advantage, explain how to properly count the strands in the system to calculate the MA, and then I realize that I still have to go all the way through to a 9:1 and and show multiple methods for other systems in between, including demonstrating a Z-Rig both vertically and parallel with the ground.

I decide I don't have it in me. I pack everything up and go home. This has happened a few times throughout my YouTubing career and it's never easy to accept defeat.

But I have to film myself with both my phone and a GoPro and it's just A LOT of work. I really need a cameraman. It's difficult enough to rig everything for a shoot.

Ballocks. :whine:

I'll try again another day. Maybe my plans are too big for one video. Maybe I'll break each system down into one video.

I just called it off. Thank you, @lxskllr. You catalyzed this decision, along with @Kaveman. Thank you both for helping me find the correct path. I am guilty of being too kind sometimes. But I've seen the light in this instance.View attachment 136005
I know this has been settled, but I ran into this this evening...

These scams have been going on for months, and one YouTuber claims they work through fake sponsors reaching out to creators. The YouTubers are then convinced to download a file related to the sponsorship, which is just malware designed to steal cookies, remotely control PCs, and ultimately hijack YouTube accounts.

Perhaps an executable gets passed to you in "the editing process", and your account gets hosed? Regardless of intent, whether benign or malicious, it could be taken as a compliment. You're big enough to associate with and/or screw over. Means you're doing something people notice. Good job!

I know this has been settled, but I ran into this this evening...

These scams have been going on for months, and one YouTuber claims they work through fake sponsors reaching out to creators. The YouTubers are then convinced to download a file related to the sponsorship, which is just malware designed to steal cookies, remotely control PCs, and ultimately hijack YouTube accounts.

Perhaps an executable gets passed to you in "the editing process", and your account gets hosed? Regardless of intent, whether benign or malicious, it could be taken as a compliment. You're big enough to associate with and/or screw over. Means you're doing something people notice. Good job!
Now you have me concerned. Because the guy I spoke to send me a file with a "video from his portfolio" showing his editing abilities. But it was through GMail and I ran a scan on it and it appeared to just be a boring MP4 file. GMail scans files as well and didn't flag anything. I think I'm probably fine, but maybe I should change my password or something. I use an authenticator app for 2FA. If YouTube has the option to change it to a security key (I have a physical key that I can use with my computer), I will do that instead becaue that's basically next to impossible to bypass. Not sure if they offer that type of 2FA, though.

Mer. Thanks or letting me know about this. Definitely going to be more wary going forward. I think I'm probably alright, but I guess I wouldn't know for sure, would I?

I think you're probably ok. I don't believe an mp4 file can do much on it's own. I think it would have to target a vulnerability in software you use to play it, and that would require foreknowledge of the video playback software you use, or target a vulnerability in widely used libraries, and hope they get lucky that your software uses that library.

Being too paranoid can be counterproductive. You just have to be wary, and view things with a skeptical eye. What /I/ think the guy that contacted you was up to, was to offer free assistance that turns into paid assistance in the future. Hard to say though. I've just found that people don't tend to do free work for strangers. Open source software is sort of an exception, but it's done for mutual benefit, and can be added to a resume. There's also the benefit of helping many people, which is cooler than helping one person(you). I'm making lots of assumptions based on little information, and it might have just been one strange cat that wants to do free work cause they enjoy it. I can certainly relate to that, but it's more rare than common I think.

Anyway, I think you're good. I wouldn't worry much over it.

I think you're probably ok. I don't believe an mp4 file can do much on it's own. I think it would have to target a vulnerability in software you use to play it, and that would require foreknowledge of the video playback software you use, or target a vulnerability in widely used libraries, and hope they get lucky that your software uses that library.

Being too paranoid can be counterproductive. You just have to be wary, and view things with a skeptical eye. What /I/ think the guy that contacted you was up to, was to offer free assistance that turns into paid assistance in the future. Hard to say though. I've just found that people don't tend to do free work for strangers. Open source software is sort of an exception, but it's done for mutual benefit, and can be added to a resume. There's also the benefit of helping many people, which is cooler than helping one person(you). I'm making lots of assumptions based on little information, and it might have just been one strange cat that wants to do free work cause they enjoy it. I can certainly relate to that, but it's more rare than common I think.

Anyway, I think you're good. I wouldn't worry much over it.
I now have 2FA enabled using an Authenticator app as well as a an external security key required. You're right, I'm probably fine, but good luck hackers...

Nobody can get in without this key now. They must have the physical key to get in. I already use one for my crypto accounts, so why not YouTube?

EDIT: I just bought a second for a backup in case I lose the other one or I step on it or break it or something.

PXL_20240212_033656865.jpg

This is why I use semichisel chain...

IMG_20240212_091243419.jpg

Cutting firewood, and trying to find the Kaveman a nice piece of elm. Not having a lot of luck. They're either broken or rot has started on the outside.

Decarboned what is probably my most used saw. I didn't do a perfect job, but it's better than it was. I'm giving Mike my last 5G Stihl oil mix bottle, and I'm switching to RedArmor. Curious what the difference will be in carbon accumulation. The fumes from Stihl have really been bothering me. I hope RedArmor's better. I forgot to check the piston top, and I don't want to pull the muffler again. Rubbed the piston with my stick, and it left a scuff. I guess it'll be alright.

Here's the before pic. It doesn't look like much without extra lighting...

IMG_20240212_151557169.jpg

Note to self: Remove B&C before decarboning...

IMG_20240212_153529713.jpg

Nah, bleeding is just another day that ends in "y". I hardly notice anymore. I'm more bummed about the piston scuff. The piston looked perfect before I started, and now it doesn't. Probably nothing that matters, but still... I'm hoping no carbon found it's way between the piston and cylinder. This is the first time I've done it, and it wasn't what I was expecting. Everything was a little gooier than I imagined. I thought it would be hard chunks to scrape off, and fairly easy, but it was kinda difficult getting the stuff off.

The old original Zip-Strip was great for decarbonizing - of course I’d break it down by popping the cylinder off - allowing you to thoroughly clean the ring seats in the piston and anywhere else carbon had built up. It turned the carbon completely soft and easy to wipe off.

Hope your thumb is ok John.

A few curse words around here this afternoon & night.

Had to move my stump machine trailer to unload some fire wood. It had sunk a bit due to the rain so was pushing it and got it moving but the coupling moved around when I went to push on the jockey wheel as well and I came down on it.

Could have busted a couple of ribs. I can walk and do some stuff but sitting down and getting up is no fun so I'm using my desk chair. Bed probably won't be go well either.

Back