How'd it go today?

I use a 10-12ft Weaver horse lead, with a figure 8 tied about a foot from the clasp, and a triple overhand stopper knot at the end.

The 8 allows for short lead training, I.e. At Heel, where dogs should be trained by default. The length of lead allows me to work the dog in the woods, where he needs a bit of leeway for navigation of terrain, if nothing else.

Much training happens off leash, with "verbal lead", something TimberJack has taken to quite well. Ranger likes his lead, and tends to get aggressive without it, as if though he knows that "off the lead", also means, "Destroy All Resistance!" and "Eat Civilians!", which I don't find a bad thing...

The girls had a teacher in service day off from school today. So we went out for breakfast in the morning. Spent the afternoon at the vet because D had been gimping around and very sore to the touch along his spine and hips. Thinking the worst, hip dysplasia, torn something……. But x rays came back clear. Thank God! He got some pain meds and is chilling right now. When he was coming out of sedation he dropped ass so pungent I had to open the exam room door just so we could breath. Epic! Then took the girls to go see Wonka. It wasn’t a horrible movie they even payed homage to the original in subtle ways.

The girls had a teacher in service day off from school today. So we went out for breakfast in the morning. Spent the afternoon at the vet because D had been gimping around and very sore to the touch along his spine and hips. Thinking the worst, hip dysplasia, torn something……. But x rays came back clear. Thank God! He got some pain meds and is chilling right now. When he was coming out of sedation he dropped ass so pungent I had to open the exam room door just so we could breath. Epic! Then took the girls to go see Wonka. It wasn’t a horrible movie they even payed homage to the original in subtle ways.
Glad he's doing alright. It's bad when our animals are not feeling good, almost as bad as when it's a kidlet.

Yesterday I made an in depth video explanation of one of my tree climbing lanyards. I explained all of the hardware and software on it, explaining how hitch based systems with a slack tending pulley are extremely dependable. I also explained how the lanyard functions/how it is used, and demonstrated how to daisy chain excess rope length for easy adjustability and compact storage. I also stressed the importance of having a stopper knot at the end of one's lanyard.

I filmed the video with both my phone and my GoPro mounted to my helmet, which resulted in a much more interesting video as there were two camera angles. Combing the two video files into a single video file that flows nicely is a bit of a process, but it's more tedious than challenging.

I have this really strong desire to build a Tyrolean traverse between these two 80 foot pines I have access to. This is something I used to do back when I lived in MA. I would build a traverse during the spring and summer and then roll into the center using a pulley setup so that I could escape the dense foliage of the trees and do high speed photography of birds in flight in this nearby bird sanctuary, using my 300mm telephoto lens. I would always build traverses near the river and estuary, where most of the action and rare species are.

This time, though, I just want to create a video showing how to safely and properly create such a traverse, and demonstrate its usefulness to the world of wildlife photography. It's also just a fun project for anyone looking to do an interesting recreational climb. There are several ways to do it and I plan to show two different methods. The first method will involve climbing both trees to create a secure traverse and the second will demonstrate how to use a throw line, throw weight, and grappling hook to create a traverse while in one of trees the entire time, never having to climb the second.

Last edited:
Dealing with recovery from the “procedure”. Feeling boated and gassy. Had my eggs and some chicken (sadistic combination) along with toast. Stomach is still grouchy. A piece of advice: shave your chest! Those damn sticky pads for the monitoring wires are not fun to get off!
Holy cow!

Sorry that I missed this...what happened?

Off today cause of rain. That of course means I'm going to the noisewall tomorrow per my call from the client. After a bunch of snow and a bunch of rain, it's gonna take the mud level up a few notches. Shoot me now...

A customer’s neighbor had a tree wash up into their yard at the ultra high tide from the storm a few weeks ago.

I’ve never seen this type of power line. Only one bare wire at the top of the pole. Below looks like service drops but are running to multiple homes. Below are the com lines. Can anyone explain the power portion of the lines? Not having to work around it, just curious.

Attachments

• IMG_8321.jpeg
    IMG_8321.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8322.jpeg
    IMG_8322.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 12
Yesterday M and I cut a Tundra load of firewood from a dead Douglas fir that blew over in recent storms. BLM ground, roadside now, was pushed aside to clear for traffic. Great wood, 25ish inch, split like magic. 044 w/ 25 inch bar worked a treat.

Is there any way to get yourself and your gear more covered in saw chips/dust, bark crumbs, and unidentifiable assorted gunk than making firewood out of a log in a steady drizzle interspersed with the occasional downpour?
:D

Unless someone else has taken advantage of the opportunity in the meantime, we'll get another load tomorrow. Things already on the calendar for today...plus, my old arthritic hands can use a day off between jobs like firewooding.

Last edited:
Then took the girls to go see Wonka. It wasn’t a horrible movie they even payed homage to the original in subtle ways.
Did they make a 3rd one?

A customer’s neighbor had a tree wash up into their yard at the ultra high tide from the storm a few weeks ago.

I’ve never seen this type of power line. Only one bare wire at the top of the pole. Below looks like service drops but are running to multiple homes. Below are the com lines. Can anyone explain the power portion of the lines? Not having to work around it, just curious.
I don't know. Maybe the wire is just for pole stability, maybe it's for protecting the lower lines from falling branches or lightning, or maybe it is a hot wire, while the neutral is either the low voltage support cable or literally the ground.

This is a first-generation Tundra, the 2003 model. I like it a great deal. I think it was a mistake when Toyota dropped this platform and went with something they thought would go head-to-head with the US full sized pickups.
I just looked up the 2003’s. Looks like a modern Tacoma. I had no idea they were that compact back when. I believe the EPA kind of forced manufacturers to pull away from the smaller trucks by demanding too high of gas mileage on smaller frames. The larger the frame, the less MPG. Not sure if my information is accurate but it sounds plausible. Maybe that played a part in their upsizing?

We own a 2020 Tundra, 5.7, 6 auto, 4WD which I love. Had to get a truck for the tree work and wanted something I could get at least 15 years out of without making major (or minor, wishfully) repairs. Made me sick to my stomach to pay for it but she earns her keep and makes money.

Mine has the 4.7 V8. It has a lot of kick and gives about 18mpg. I see them for sale used with a ton of miles on this engine...like well in excess of 300k.

The thing that is so much better than the Tacos is that the bed is 50 inches between the wheel wells. Mine has a towing capacity of 7200 lbs., and a load capacity of 1750 lbs.

It isn't a small truck, more like 7/8ths full size, with a full sized bed. Shortbed in the access cab and double cab models...you could get an 8 foot bed in the standard cab.

Did they make a 3rd one?

I don't know. Maybe the wire is just for pole stability, maybe it's for protecting the lower lines from falling branches or lightning, or maybe it is a hot wire, while the neutral is either the low voltage support cable or literally the ground.
Yes. I liked this one better than Depp’s version, it wasn’t creepy. This one is Wonka at a young age.

@Treeaddict
Single phase primary line. It’s spicy enough to ruin your day. Next line down is a closed secondary and in that scenario it looks to pretty much be service line. Looks like a shitty set up as well.
@FireFighterZero just had the standard turned 45 colonoscopy. It was supposed to happen a week ago but they forgot to tell me that chew is a 24 hour no no. I had them a bit freaked out because my resting heart rate was 59. I told them I was hoping for 55 but 59 was close enough. I’m good for three more years unless the lab results come back bad. Not stressing over it. The three big bald patches from those stickers looked terrible so I buzzed the rest off.

Played in the mud all day. Funny how the youngest guy on the crew stayed clean while the rest of us looked like we fell in a mud pit. Also funny how he won’t be with my crew anymore.

Mine has the 4.7 V8. It has a lot of kick and gives about 18mpg. I see them for sale used with a ton of miles on this engine...like well in excess of 300k.

The thing that is so much better than the Tacos is that the bed is 50 inches between the wheel wells. Mine has a towing capacity of 7200 lbs., and a load capacity of 1750 lbs.

It isn't a small truck, more like 7/8ths full size, with a full sized bed. Shortbed in the access cab and double cab models...you could get an 8 foot bed in the standard cab.
Ok. Bigger than I thought from pictures! Sounds like it’ll go forever. Lots of load capacity for their size. We both have 1750. I guess they increased the towing a few thousand pounds. They’ll do what we need. I don’t think either of us are planning on hauling a full size backhoe anytime soon.

Back