How'd it go today?

It's brakes, don't half ass it, because it won't be half an ass smeared across an intersection when they fail...

I get giving advise to free a stubborn fastener, but guys, when it comes to the stoppy-grippies, get your wallet out.

Gonna be the "Cheap and the Dead" up in here...

Yea, everything has a lifespan. With sufficient effort, anything can be fixed, but it doesn't always make sense. If new brakes don't mean you're eating ramen for the next two months, it's time for new brakes.

Yea, everything has a lifespan. With sufficient effort, anything can be fixed, but it doesn't always make sense. If new brakes don't mean you're eating ramen for the next two months, it's time for new brakes.
Eat the Ramen. Or don't drive. No excuses with the stoppys! What are you gonna do, drop the anchor?

If it is a POS absolutely. In salt country bleeders can be frozen, nothing wrong with the caliper. In Arizona that isn't something that happens. Brakes up here in the salt need proper servicing. When you do the pads you have to check the pins and relube them. Clean the calipers behind the hopefully stainless sheet metal inserts. And if the piston retracts easily your good to go.

Road apples! Metal parts rust regardless if it Arizona or Minnesota. Speed may vary, but the end result is the same. Brakes need proper service no matter where you live. This isn't an arguable subject. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it, no excuses, and no exceptions. Make and keep your vehicle safe, or don't drive. It's the law, and it's the right thing to do.

Used trucks from the southwest sell at a premium here because they aren't rusted to death, you've never seen what salt does if you think it's the same. The calipers are full of fluid, if you're swapping the lines your air bubble is right there where you broke the line, aka on the steel block in front of the hose. Bleeding them at the hose connection is past the air bubble, completely fine. The bleeder is better obviously but in reality the caliper is completely full already, you are simply bleeding the connection you broke open, and you are doing it under pressure. If the brakes are firm you're good, if they're soft you have air in there. If you did the hose its a bit tougher, but still possible. You can bleed as much as possible at the hose connection to fill the hose, pull the caliper loose and compress it, which shoves all the fluid (and the tiny air bubble) back in the line, and then bleed it again which clears the air. It's an air bubble guys, not a big deal to outsmart the engineer who didn't account for rust.

Or that, I've never had a vacuum pump. We always did the one guy pumping the brakes, or the pump sprayer trick to pressurize the system. Everything i touch gets coated in never sieze.

Used trucks from the southwest sell at a premium here because they aren't rusted to death, you've never seen what salt does if you think it's the same. The calipers are full of fluid, if you're swapping the lines your air bubble is right there where you broke the line, aka on the steel block in front of the hose. Bleeding them at the hose connection is past the air bubble, completely fine. The bleeder is better obviously but in reality the caliper is completely full already, you are simply bleeding the connection you broke open, and you are doing it under pressure. If the brakes are firm you're good, if they're soft you have air in there. If you did the hose its a bit tougher, but still possible. You can bleed as much as possible at the hose connection to fill the hose, pull the caliper loose and compress it, which shoves all the fluid (and the tiny air bubble) back in the line, and then bleed it again which clears the air. It's an air bubble guys, not a big deal to outsmart the engineer who didn't account for rust.
I'm more familiar with the rust belt rigs than any Arizonan has a right to be. I bought my first truck from my uncle in Hillman Michigan. I made the mistake again with my Jeep, a life long Detroit resident. I'm a first generation desert rat, the whole fam damily are from the mitten or they're yoopers. That's where all the cool stuff hides in the back yards, in my family at least.

My current work truck has cancer from a life as a plow truck in Ignacio Colorado. I drive really slow through puddles or I get wet legs lolz.

I don't preach much maintenance when it comes to trucks, but I'll climb on a soapbox over brakes anytime, obviously.

I have done all my own brake work since the 60s. Maintained a fleet. Never had a failure, other than a brake line. Master cylinders used to have a dual compartment. One for front, one for rear. If you blew a line you still had half. Now when you blow a brake line after a few stops you have no brakes. If by chance a caliper goes, which doesn't happen all at once, you don't lose brakes. So moral is, replace your brake lines if they are rusty. How many people do that before they blow?

brakes are annoying! hydraulic work great till they rust out, same with air, I prefer air for easy of working on them and having onboard air for bags or air tools
electric trailer brakes suck, every aftermarket controller ive used sometimes worked, other times the self leveling BS quits working right and locks up your trailer, then the next minute theres no trailer brakes at all

ive bled my fair share of brakes, worst was on a BWM X5, where there isn't enough room to squeeze your head under to see what you're doing, never really a fun job, my last truck had a crushed brake line when I got it, picked it up in the dark and didn't notice till we got home and the rear right drum was almost glowing red, made new lines the next morning and replaced the shoes and drums, took half a day to get that drum off because the lip was so bad on it!

lets not forget about that parking brake that hasnt worked since 2004...
atleast with air you can slide the seat forward and wedge a 2x4 in there to hold the pedal down, if the truck is running it cant leak down like hydraulic will (can also use this technique to bleed hydraulic brakes, Diesel Creek has a video on this)

I think I have a problem. I want to take every used saw I see home with me.

Me(M): That Ryobi looks brand new!
Sensible Me(SM): It's a Ryobi...
M: It's only $100!
SM: Dude it's a Ryobi...
SM: What would you do with it?
M: Dunno. Maybe a truck saw...
SM: You already have a truck saw. In fact, you have two, and if Old Smokey in the back walks off or something, you have a shitty new poulan to replace it with.
M: Maybe a loaner saw...
SM: Loan to who?! Just about everyone you know that could use it already has good saws!
M: But look how pretty and new it looks!
SM: Sigh...

I think I have a problem. I want to take every used saw I see home with me.

Me(M): That Ryobi looks brand new!
Sensible Me(SM): It's a Ryobi...
M: It's only $100!
SM: Dude it's a Ryobi...
SM: What would you do with it?
M: Dunno. Maybe a truck saw...
SM: You already have a truck saw. In fact, you have two, and if Old Smokey in the back walks off or something, you have a shitty new poulan to replace it with.
M: Maybe a loaner saw...
SM: Loan to who?! Just about everyone you know that could use it already has good saws!
M: But look how pretty and new it looks!
SM: Sigh...
me in the saw shop

oh look a shiny MS150T, ms400c, brand new 261c, 592xp (sigh), oh is that a ronin? how much for that rope bag over there?

i'm well known at both my local ace hardware and vermeer, I don't even have to ask anymore to go behind the counter and look at stuff, soon as I walk in people move to let me in and its actually kinda weird, especially when I walk in and the other tree guys are like "oh he's special lemme move"

im "special", but i'm not a celebrity, you don't need to let me by, i'm just a dude looking at a chainsaw that i'm certainly not buying LOL

New oven/range arrived. Testing now.
The old one needed a computer board they no longer have at all. I can send it out to see IF it can be fixed. So this solves holiday dinners. Merry Friggen Christmas to me :|:
Testing it now after converting over to propane.
Convection oven since its how I roll.
I may send the computer out to check repair. If it can be and the price not too bad, I'll make an out door kitchen with it. 20231130_120624.jpg

New oven/range arrived. Testing now.
The old one needed a computer board they no longer have at all. I can send it out to see IF it can be fixed. So this solves holiday dinners. Merry Friggen Christmas to me :|:
Testing it now after converting over to propane.
Convection oven since its how I roll.
I may send the computer out to check repair. If it can be and the price not too bad, I'll make an out door kitchen with it.View attachment 134102
The next problem will be, how smart and capable is the computer repair guy? Like how a saw shop says the cylinder is scored, so the whole saw is junk. Could be a relay, capacitor, fuse, slightly oxidized plug connector, ect. I know little about electronics, but I can fix a lot with what little I know, and I have a hard time trusting the "experts" these days.

just saw an ad for the concert im seeing on the 10th, setlist was updated, they added Quiescent Mantis to the list

holyyyy crap, this is better than whitechapel, they opened for Cavalera when I saw them last and blew them out of the water IMO
now I go see 5 bands for the price of 4 and have taco bell on the way home at like 2 in the morning as usual!

@stikine, was that slope 'altered' at all by human activity or was it just a failure of a natural, wooded hillside?

@stikine, was that slope 'altered' at all by human activity or was it just a failure of a natural, wooded hillside?
You'll notice that the lower portion of the slope was harvested, in 1965 according to my records. The upper slope was unharvested old growth forest. We had over 3 inches of rain in the preceding 24 hrs. and significant winds associated with the storm. That combination in conjunction with steep slopes and certain soils greatly increases the chance of a debris torrent (landslide).

Back