How'd it go today?

Rust belt truck issues the last two days. Break line in the plow truck blow, fixed that. Then another blew fixed that. Go to bleed the breaks one bleeder is rust welded in place, new caliper fixed that. Test drive goes well truck stops. But the power steering lines blew, fukk! New parts on order.

22 degrees this morning, found out I need a chipper battery eventually

might go get some cold start videos, got a pine to go knock out at 10am, customer keeps the wood even!

the kubota and the dodge are both boring to start, no difference between 10 degrees and 100 degrees but the 4bt and 3116 in the bucket and chipper are fun, I know the CAT will start, the cummins is a little slow but thats just the battery

22 degrees this morning, found out I need a chipper battery eventually

might go get some cold start videos, got a pine to go knock out at 10am, customer keeps the wood even!

the kubota and the dodge are both boring to start, no difference between 10 degrees and 100 degrees but the 4bt and 3116 in the bucket and chipper are fun, I know the CAT will start, the cummins is a little slow but thats just the battery
Just make sure the terminals are clean, and the post clamps are all the way on and fully tightened. Even if there was no problem until the cold, it could just be a poor contact.

Just make sure the terminals are clean, and the post clamps are all the way on and fully tightened. Even if there was no problem until the cold, it could just be a poor contact.
They are fine, battery is like 10 years old and half the size it should be

Uncle Al can tell you about building a fire under old dozers to get a chance at starting in cold weather.
@Al Smith
lucky it doesn't get that cold here, its been down to 5 degrees once in the 7 years I've lived here, chipper wouldn't even try to start and the bucket truck certainly wasn't happy
the fire to warm the block/oil is something id do if I have to, BUT, it seems like a real PITA and time consuming, last resort IMO

Hair dryer in the intake was my favorite, every little bit you warm the air going in the better because of the massive compression ratio of a diesel. It's the most bang for your buck as far as cold starting goes, and is why pretty much all modern diesels use it. Glow plugs are technically a way to heat the air too, they just do it in the cylinder. Don't use a heat gun tho if you have a paper air filter.... ask me how i know :lol:

Hair dryer in the intake was my favorite, every little bit you warm the air going in the better because of the massive compression ratio of a diesel. It's the most bang for your buck as far as cold starting goes, and is why pretty much all modern diesels use it. Glow plugs are technically a way to heat the air too, they just do it in the cylinder. Don't use a heat gun tho if you have a paper air filter.... ask me how i know :lol:
I actually have done a propane torch and heat gun before to start my skid before I was able to pull it apart and get the other 2 glow plugs wired up
neither one worked, had to resort to lots of ether lol

new starter, and glow plugs are fixed, she fires right up now, now to rebuild the motor, new hydro pump, and rebuild all the cylinders/valves, then itll be back to a decent machine for only $2500 or so

Rust belt truck issues the last two days. Break line in the plow truck blow, fixed that. Then another blew fixed that. Go to bleed the breaks one bleeder is rust welded in place, new caliper fixed that. Test drive goes well truck stops. But the power steering lines blew, fukk! New parts on order.
Did you try the heat to orange and quench more than once if needed? Knock on wood I have not had one it didn't work on. Does not work on steel seized in aluminum though.

Last edited:
Did you try the heat to orange and quench more than once if needed? Knock on wood I have not had one it didn't work on. Does not work on steel seized in aluminum though.
Too many rubber parts close by to catch on fire. I did apply some heat but the amount of time involved wasn’t worth it. New parts = less time besides how much life is left in a 2006 caliper that is rusted to fudge on a plow truck.

I always just bled them by the hose connection, I've never had luck with the bleeders since they just rust.

Back