How'd it go today?

Y'all will be happy to know my ass is almost better. Some shreds of dead skin still on that I'm not screwing with, and some tender new pink skin underneath. I said it was a fungal infection, but I don't think that's right. It happened too fast, and I have an almost perfect rectangle on my ass. I think I sat in something, but damned if I know what or where. Looks like a creosote burn.

My 2nd year apprentice that I've been working with for a few months got to weld today, he's almost to the point where he'll be able to get his certs when he has school again this winter. Once that happens i won't have to weld nearly as much! I'll still be doing the tougher and more critical ones, but not everything, and then i can start working with him on said tougher welds and not in a controlled shop setting. We have been doing some demo work this week too, so i got to show him a bunch of stuff, such as how to cut limed up junk pipe with a torch without messing up the torch. He's not my first apprentice I've broken in by any means, but you can easily forget how it's all the little things you do in a day that make all the difference between easy and strugglefest.

He's gonna be a good one, just holy crap there's so much to teach him while he's with me, and they can only retain so much info before it becomes too much to remember or can even comprehend it at his current skill level. We jump around a lot on different little projects too, so we're not on something long enough to really pound it in his head, but he's keeping up pretty well. He'll have problems with a concept or task, hard to resist simply taking over at times, but when it finally clicks it's very rewarding to watch. Thankfully he's very driven, he's even been going in after work a few times a week to practice welding, he wants it really bad, which is very refreshing to see because that level of commitment is pretty rare.

Got off work early and started a landscape and tree job for a good friend. Today was using the Tundra to pull out smaller trees and bushes. There’s something so satisfying about ripping an unwanted/overgrown/dead tree out of the ground with machinery.

Plumbing work has been slow around here for everyone. Not 25 hrs a week slow but 37 hrs vs 42hrs slow. Call quality is not so good. We have to take everything.

Edit: our hamster named boy managed to escape the “evening recreation complex”. When you think you see something out of the corner of your eye……I got within 8’ of him and called his name twice and laid my palm on the floor. He walked right onto my hand. Now if I could only train my kids to listen like that!

Last edited:
We're slammed with work, not enough guys to go around, but we're not on steady overtime yet where I'm at. Travel work is even better, they gotta pay northern rates and per diem to even try to get guys, the waters are high for now, and with all these chip and battery plants kicking off it looks like it's gonna stay that way for awhile. Tweaked my back today and went home early, then did trunk or treat at the kids school. Wasn't fun but i made it through, hopefully it'll relax tonight and I'll be back to normal soon, got too much stuff i gotta get done to be dealing with this 😡

We're slammed with work, not enough guys to go around, but we're not on steady overtime yet where I'm at. Travel work is even better, they gotta pay northern rates and per diem to even try to get guys, the waters are high for now, and with all these chip and battery plants kicking off it looks like it's gonna stay that way for awhile. Tweaked my back today and went home early, then did trunk or treat at the kids school. Wasn't fun but i made it through, hopefully it'll relax tonight and I'll be back to normal soon, got too much stuff i gotta get done to be dealing with this 😡
Chiropractor and a Tens pack work miracles.

Surveying's been slow too. I'm basically half time. I was home today. I'm fine with that.
wanna come down to TN and do this survey so we can start on this clearing job?
be nice if I didn't have to wait on it but oh well, supposedly we get to start next week, waiting to get a burn permit till I have an exact day and I don't trust the survey guy to be on time

Picked up a 4Runner from a coworker. Might need a rear axle, or something else. 198k. Well maintained, frame is good, body is good. New Discoverers. I don't plan on calling out for snow this winter!
ETA: I'll have less invested than what I'd lose from not making it to work in the Golf.:/:

IMG_0766.jpg

Last edited:
Surveying isn't necessarily something where you just showup and get it done. Sometimes there's problems, and even after a recon where you think you know what you have, it turns out you have nothing, and it's a real project.I wouldn't plan anything that has to happen until the surveyor actually has it marked out.

ive already bid the job, already know whats supposed to be cleared, only getting the survey so we know where the neighbors properties start as the property map website TN Property Viewer - https://tnmap.tn.gov/assessment/ doesnt actually have this propety marked out yet

basically, we know what it should be already, we know we arent clearing the whole thing but just enough for them to get in and mark where to put a house, but we just want to avoid a he said/she said situation with neighbors

I can technically go do the job without a survey but im not going to for liability reasons, im not going to get a permit till ive got a pile started and ready to burn, I have to know what size pile I have before I can get a permit

Semi seasonal. Things get busier in warm weather, but when things are good it goes year round. Heavy construction is pretty much all the time as long as money is flowing, but that's only part of what we do, and really only one client. It's more tightly tied to the economy. When the housing market slows, surveying slows. It seems to be slowing around here. Also, the company is small, and everyone(All both of us :^D ) are getting old, so probably there's less looking for work to do.

So doing Algebra tonight doing the elimination of the brackets on both sides of the = . I about had this one equation and solving for x. Trouble was, somehow, I got the wrong answer during my multiplication and got 666.
I slapped the paper down and shouted, "thats it! I totally understand it! Math is the Devil!"

Granted it was the wrong answer, but the moment.

Back