How'd it go today?

The beginning of the end. They'll have a good couple years til they figure out kids are assholes. They'll then dream of the time they're out of school, have money, and nobody telling them what to do. On that day, they'll have different people telling them what to do, not as much money as they thought, and all those asshole kids will have turned into asshole adults.

Oh well. It was a good run while it lasted.
Haha, you must've had a wonderful childhood John. 🙄

Got home from work and trimmed/deadwooded 3 trees on a continuing “when you have time, no rush” project. Truck thermometer read 100* on the way there. It really didn’t seem too bad with the heat today even though my kids school canceled recess due to a 105* heat index.

my machine is in the shop, supposed to get it today

got a text 45 minutes ago saying it was in the shop, only gettting a PDI, quick attach and a thumb so it should be another hour 20 or so

Thanks Rich, I might need it…. It’s tough getting older in the tree game… on many fronts.
Though my wife reminds me that it’s better than death. I’m now 48 years young…. Haha makes me laugh.
Stephen I know you started waaay older than me now…. :)

edit: knock on wood but this co wants me to learn and run their crane 🏗️.. There is a lot of talk talk here so maybe.... see.
I gotta look at being an older he/him/man/male in this industry…. Need a specialty that pays.. more than youth.

picture of recent aerial rescue class.. which has a funny story toooooo.

View attachment 131937
Beautiful shot, @Bodean! There are very few shots in photography where you can live with underexposure in any part of the frame. But when you're taking photos where trees are involved, they are natural shade givers and it gives a natural look to eliminate shadow lift and exposure increase in post production. You might consider it in this case, though, if you shot this in RAW versus JPEG and if you want to give more of a face to each on-looker on your team. It can be hard to do, though, when the contrast between sky and shade is large as is the case for this photo. Basically, I'm complimenting you on keeping the truly natural feel of this photo. What did you take it with?

Sherrill and Notch are running the ISA?!

Here is a legitimate look behind the metaphorical curtain (assuming @Treeaddict has understood @Bodean's metaphor correctly)...

ISA Board of Directors. Not sure what this says about ISA. Can't tell if you're joking or not, @Treeaddict. I struggle to discern sarcasm over the internet...oh wait...everyone does. Now I feel better. Thanks, self.

You're probably joking, but let this be a fun learning experience nonetheless haha

Here is the council of representatives...

Last edited:
Deva could take pics with a 35mm throwaway camera and they'd turn out nice. He's cursed with living in the most beautiful parts of the world.
Sounds terrible. *sarcasm* I'm sure you're right. Beautiful shot. Preserves the natural touches of light that actually existed in the field of view.

Here is a legitimate look behind the metaphorical curtain (assuming @Treeaddict has understood @Bodean's metaphor correctly)...

ISA Board of Directors. Not sure what this says about ISA. Can't tell if you're joking or not, @Treeaddict. I struggle to discern sarcasm over the internet...oh wait...everyone does. Now I feel better. Thanks, self.

You're probably joking, but let this be a fun learning experience nonetheless haha

Here is the council of representatives...

Yes, it was sarcasm.

I can’t stop thinking about that “funny story”.

Raised the canopy and deadwooded(most larger limbs) a cedar after work. Don’t have a before but many branches were on the slate roof and into the garden. Lots of downward growth. I salvaged as many limbs as possible only cutting off their lowest branches. A couple had to be taken back to the trunk.

Attachments

• IMG_6553.jpeg
    IMG_6553.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 7
Hey all, back from 3 days on Maui contract climbing. The temp is about a million degrees F.
They invited me back as often as I want.

Monday I go check out this other company here on Big Island. The one with the equipment.

Knot, I wish it was something fancy or manual w thought and logic but no alas just an IPhone.

Rich, I know What you mean…. The young climbers keep me young and hip. A 26 yo is an odd bird these daze.
Also, they appreciate my old head perspective and tree tricks.

Ryan, I always say everything is either a curse or a blessing…. Either way ur right cuz it’s real pretty out here. Come visit.

Treeaddict, Something I can’t put on the internet even if it’s here Didn’t mean to pique your curiousness :)

I saw nothing
But your local police force would like to remind you that "if you see something, say something!"

But your local gang would like to remind you that "snitches get stitches."

And your local organized crime would like to remind you, "shut your mouth or we'll cut you so badly that you'll wish you weren't cut so badly. Ayyyyy!"

2/3 for silence. I'd stick with "I saw nothing." heh heh

Last edited:
played with the new machine today, large (for the area) black cherry and a mid size (40ft) cedar down in 5 1/2 hours today (cleaned up and hauled off)

also just got done welding up a trailer hitch receiver mount for the blade on the mini ex, I do so many jobs you could never back a truck and trailer into that I decided to go full cottontop3 and do the hitch also

at the end the only difference between my machine and his should be that mines 1 size smaller
was supposed to get a 42" brush hog for it tonight but the guy keeps being super late to reply to messages so scheduling it isnt working (scheduled time passes before he replies kinda guy)

Got done with a euc job out in the middle of nowhere.. basically a mining and ranch town that has a lot of middle of nowhere pastures and trailer homes. No cell service kinda place. Damn near need 4wd to get to his place. Killed 3 small and rigged stuff off a medium large tree from over targets yesterday. Then pruned one for less wind sail. Medium sized. Reduced it some. Wish I had before and afters.
Stage material and buck firewood. HO will handle the rest. Left by about 11am.. ran some errands. Did some estimates and scheduling. Quick drop and walks. Groceries and home cooking dinner by 7pm.

Started cleaning up this spruce after work today. Getting bottom limbs raised a little. It looked decent from the ground but when you get into the canopy, the limbs remind you of the 100 lazer beams in all directions going down a long hallway protecting a priceless artifact. Just like in the movies. Trying to avoid the trunk cuts whenever possible.

I let one branch TOUCH the asphalt shingle roof and it made a small hole. There was absolutely no sheathing and the underpayment was extremely weak. We properly patched it and brought plywood up and placed it where any work was to take place above. The building is used as storage and needs attention.

Homeowners had us inside for a good dinner and conversion when we were done.

Attachments

• IMG_6574.jpeg
    IMG_6574.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Good lordy Lord, population 38? Their one claim to fame is a 60's movie about mining? I'd be afraid to hurt myself out there and not having cell service. Is the local donkey going to cattle-cart you to the nearby alchemist for some expired morphine before the town doctor arrives from several counties away? Any relation to the tequila?

Attachments

• Hornitos.jpg
    Hornitos.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Down town has some. But not where we were.
Claim to fame is being a gold rush and out law town during that period.
You should look up Why and Why Not Az.
There was a land line where we were.
Which, in fact, is better as it dispaches a physical address through local first response.
Where as your cell phone does not. Then dispach call center some where else figures out about where you are and then calls say Mariposa, 40 minutes away, to dispatch. With a gps coordinate. Your response time just went south.

Today we had thunderstorms pop up set to hit about 9am where were supposed to do a technical limb removal over a barn.
We opted out of that and went and got the staged kit and ran it back up the hill. Then Rob and I, having out run the storm cells, hit a drop and walk that just needed pulled away from power lines and pole I looked at yesterday. Packed up in the rain with a little pocket money. HO might have him mill the log. 30" dbh pondo that broke in 1/2 during a mono event.

You should look up Why and Why Not Az.

Thanks, @CurSedVoyce! A lot of interesting history and great names! I love all of the originality and wild west energy in these parts and the ability of the locals to adapt to just about anything!

Why, Arizona...

The town derives its name from the fact that two major highways, State Routes 85 and 86, originally intersected in a Y-intersection.[2] At the time of its naming, state law required all city names to have at least three letters, so the town's founders named the town "Why" as opposed to simply calling it "Y." The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) later removed the old Y-intersection for traffic safety reasons and built the two highways in a conventional intersection south of the original intersection.[3]

"Why Not" Travel Store, Arizona...

"Your desert oasis for food, beverage, fuel, storage and relaxation. We love pets!"

Why Not Travel Store.jpg

I'd worship Kokopelli if he weren't a false idol haha...

Kokopelli.png

Back