How'd it go today?

I got my ass kicked by a silver maple. I miscalculated a tip tie that ended being a balance tie and came back at me. I managed to deflect it with my forearm but lost some skin and I am swole up like Popeye. I still had three more hours to finish up after it happened.
That sucks. I’m really sorry that happened to you Rajan. Glad you reacted quickly to prevent head and torso damage.

Hopefully the homeowner didn’t see it. Whenever I have a slip/mishap, I look around to see if anyone was watching. They usually are. It’s embarrassing.

So I read.
Me and Butch didn’t agree on much, but I think a contempt for people who are so careless with their lives was one thing we had in common.
NEVER a good reason to not take precautions. It was amazing to see that man climb so fast and efficiently but the amazement was cancelled out by the overwhelming stupidity of his lack of safety. Just one mistake…….

Academic discussion but I wouldn't call it stupidity. The dude was on another level compared to normal humans, normal climbers. He chose to do stuff that normal humans wouldn't even consider. I presume he did it for fun in large part and probably a lot was ego too, doing things nobody else could. But 'stupidity?' I would characterize it more like he was doing his very risky art form and he got burned.

@Marc-Antoine The guy, Ryan Jinks, who I showed in the earlier video doing the rope jumping recently published a video where he and some friends successfully complete the rope jump that killed Osman as a tribute. A lot like the point @cory just made, while I don't have a personal understanding of risk-taking of that magnitude, the amount of preparation and measurements that this guy Ryan performs before even considering jumping and the effort he puts towards ensuring less qualified individuals do not attempt anything similar has transformed his "dangerous" acts in something more akin to "highly technical, well-calculated feats of daring" instead. This guy's redundancies have redundancies at every master point. Obviously it's still much too dangerous for 99% of people, but this guy and his crew aren't 99% of people. As a society, we should make special allowances for those whose capabilities and understanding of a specific area overshadows everyone else's. That's often how revolutionary discoveries and accomplishments are made. Look no further than to NASA and SpaceX and astronauts. They are that 1% we give special allowances to in "extremely risky" situations and most people don't view them as risk takers, but instead as pioneers and intellectuals and as role models. I'm not saying Dan Osman was exactly like an astronaut, but hopefully you can see the parallels I'm drawing.

Last edited:
this guy and his crew aren't 99% of people. ... Look no further than to NASA and SpaceX and astronauts. They are that 1%

I had a customer, part of his email address was 'Army Bull," I asked him whut up with that, he said he went to West Point, I said was it as hard as people say? He said yes its definitely hard on everybody except for 4 or 5 guys and they go on to become Generals and Astronauts :rockhard: :rockhard: :rockhard:

Some people would rather live their lives as they see fit, and accept the consequences. There's lots of ways to die in life, and no matter how hard you avoid them someday one of them is gonna get us all. Most people think climbing trees with ropes and chainsaws for money or fun to be a shining example of a death wish. He lived fast and hard, not for a paycheck like we do, but for himself, and as most people who push the envelope in vertical spaces he found the line the hard way. He's still a better athlete than anyone here ever was or will be, and I'm forced to respect him for those things. I have never lived that free and i never will, i may live longer but I'll never know that level of freedom.

When i started climbing i got a book on mountaineering, each chapter was written by a different person, which amounts to an amazing book. In there they discussed the "level of commitment," which i really think is a great way to understand risk in life, and how not fully understanding stuff can put you at more risk than you thought. Just this last week i explained to a first year apprentice the actual risks of going in a steam vault to work, and how there's an illusion of safety because of our ppe and procedures and stuff. I made sure he was fully aware that if it all goes south the out man and low wage fire and rescue crews were highly unlikely to actually be able rescue us in time, so in reality we're at far more risk than it appears.

Spot brought me another young bunny. I had been outside petting her no more than 10 minutes earlier, and I hear her meowing and see a bunny in her mouth. She doesn't dally around :^/

Decided to climb my pin oak to get rid of some moderately sized deadwood. Some of it was threatening the roof. Probably would have been alright, but it gave me something to do. This bastard was dead nuts in my way for almost everything...

IMG_20230528_154544096_HDR.jpg

I had trouble finding a place to set a line, and had to shoot almost straight up. I put my throwline across the edge of it, but got it out without too much disturbance. It was also in the premium spot for moving through the tree. I wanted to try my new bifröst line, but ended up doing mrs with my xtc. Made the most sense for where I could get a line set. Advanced my line once, and took the pic from that setup. I didn't want to mess with it to see what was inside. No point in ruining the rat's gig for idle curiosity.

Got the wood down, and it was nice getting in a tree. I still like mrs. Maybe not all the time, but it's a nice way to work a tree.

Yup that is a classic. I've only skimmed it, didn't realize different authors per chapter.

Made a boo boo. Diesel is down. Part should get here Wed. and hopefully I wont screw that up.
Stupid dipstick flange on the 7.3 leaking. So I went to do the fix, dropped the damn thing into the pan. I had it tethered with wire, but could not raise it back out of the pan. Baffle plate guessing. Soooooo. Do the other fix. But that is our last truck. Seeing if my buddy can move kit around this week.

Advanced my line once, and took the pic from that setup. I didn't want to mess with it to see what was inside. No point in ruining the rat's gig for idle curiosity.
That nest looks ultra recent.

Spot brought me another young bunny. I had been outside petting her no more than 10 minutes earlier, and I hear her meowing and see a bunny in her mouth. She doesn't dally around :^/
Was it dead? One of my English Labrador retrievers chased and caught a bunny once. He was so proud of himself as he emerged from the thicket of Mugo pines, bun in his mouth, entrails hanging everywhere. That same dog ended up chasing two different coyotes on two separate occasions, one time for over a mile in the middle of a wildlife preserve and the other after seeing it behind my parent's townhouse. His name was Bert and he was a show dog that didn't make the cut becaus his ears were "too long." I ended up buying him from the breeder. His ears looked perfect to me. If there's one thing in life that I love, it's the feeling of velvety soft Labrador ears between my fingers. If it weren't completely abhorrent, and if I didn't love dogs so much, I'd make a winter coat out of Lab ears haha I'm f\/cked.

94.67% of me is ready to hit the "Buy Now" button on the Kindle version. Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:
The drey is very fresh. There was one there last year, and I noticed Friday night it was completely gone. Some time between then and today it was rebuilt.

Yea, the bunny was dead. It's not often I get a survivor. So far, I've rescued two birds and a snake over the years. Spot will end up eating it later if she hasn't already. The possums will get anything left behind.

That sucks. I’m really sorry that happened to you Rajan. Glad you reacted quickly to prevent head and torso damage.

Hopefully the homeowner didn’t see it. Whenever I have a slip/mishap, I look around to see if anyone was watching. They usually are. It’s embarrassing.
The shitty thing is that the home owners and the neighbors who’s yard we were in.

Yea, the bunny was dead. It's not often I get a survivor. So far, I've rescued two birds and a snake over the years. Spot will end up eating it later if she hasn't already. The possums will get anything left behind.
Nature is the cruelest of mistresses. If she were a person, she would be an ex-wife or ex-lover with artistic abilities, a powerful position on the board at a Forbes 500 company, who I simultaneously loath, but never resent, and for whom I paradoxically also hold the utmost respect. A perfect balance of beauty, power, loss, and the realization that she at one point or another made me her bitch. Nature owns us all and you don't have to date her to find that out.

Welcome to everyday a day of my life Rajan😆

Another great day. Woke up to a nice cool morning around 6 am. Just me and the dogs outside till 8. Then a big breakfast followed by some four wheeler riding. A bit of fishing and then hurry back because we forgot to get the smoker started with ribs. Then more riding. Had way too much for dinner. Ribs turned out pretty darn good. Than some fireworks and s’mores. Almost bedtime

I finally ended up calling my girlfriend's parent's old number, hoping that they took it with them to their new house, and I was able to speak with my girl's mother who informed me that she is alright. She is in a world of hurt and has been sleeping off the anesthetic they gave her before the surgery began. I am extremely relieved. @lxskllr You were 100% correct about what was likely going on. Thank you for your good judgement. It's only been three days without hearing from her and I feel like my life has lost a good amount of its importance. If that sound extreme to you, then you've probably never truly been in love.

SHORT STORY about a Very Friendly, Extremely Easy On the Eyes, Rando Quasi-Stalker from my Apartment Complex...

One of my neighbors (who I didn't know existed until today, but who has watched me from her apartment balcony doing tree climbing and making content...or so she says) knocked on my door at an ungodly hour of the morning, and explained that she did photography and sometimes attached her camera to a drone, and she asked if I would be able to retrieve it because she hit a tree. I pondered how this girl knew my apartment number, but then my desire to help took over. I was like, ummm, "how high up is it and what kind of tree is it? Is it close to the trunk or out on a limb?" She responded by saying "it's pretty high up there," that she didn't know what kind of tree it was, and so I asked, "it's not a pine tree, is it?" "Yes, that's the one! Like a big Christmas tree."

Internally, I thought to myself, "f*ck my life. This tree probably has toothpicks for branches, sap draining from every orifice, and maybe one good union to launch a throw weight through...that is totally obscured by branches." She then pulled up footage of the drone just before and during its crash. It was pretty high up there, but nothing terrible. Maybe 40 feet. I could see that it was part of a row of multiple conifers. "Is it closeby?" I asked, not recognizing the trees.

"I'll drive you and I'll pay you, too, it's right up the street," she said, excited that I seemed willing. I said, "I need like two hours. I just woke up (what I meant was she woke me up). I need to eat and get my gear together." She told me her apartment number and once I was booted up and gear laden, I walked over and she came out and off we went.

Long story short, I ened up putting a line into the tree next to it because it had a really nice co-dominant top with a wide union to aim for, and it was about 15 feet above where the drone was in the other tree and also about 15 feet next to the other tree (from stem to stem). Then I used a grappling hook with a lanyard that I put a hitch climber pulley onto and an eye to eye for progress capture and pulled off some Reg Coates, Mission Impossible style maneuvering, double fisted two systems and used my foot ascender to move laterally and upward on the grappling line. Then I lanyarded into the second tree, tied the drone onto the end of my SRS climb line (I was on my Rope Runner Pro and my 200' Drenaline) and carefully began lowering it down.

This drone was pretty substantial and attached to the bottom of it wasn't your usual webcam sized camera. This was a full blown DLSR made by Canon. Before I lowered it, I took the memory card out and put it into my pocket so that at least she could have all of her photos and video if everything went south. She had given me the lens cap to place on her expensive camera before I went up, so I did that as well. Thankfully, it didn't go south. My original TIP was rock solid, so I had peace of mind throughout the adventure. I undid my grappling hook and put it on my harness along with the lanyard for it. I then had to do a very exciting swing back to the other tree. Then I rappelled to the ground. The whole ordeal took about 45-60 minutes, with 20 min getting a line in. I told her she could repay me by taking drone footage of me climbing some day. That would look pretty sweet. She agreed.

I pretended to be pissed that I got sap on my rope and she laughed and I laughed. Except, I actually was pissed; not at her, but at the situation; but I hate confrontation and I felt like my sappy rope was worth it. She was nice. Gave me something to do...at the crack of dawn. Better than rescuing a feisty feline at least! That drone and camera combo was not cheap, so I felt pretty happy with myself. Besides, she must be pretty friggin' good at photography/videography for that kind of setup. The rotors on that quad-copter were as big as my hands and when she tested them to check for damage, they sounded powerful as f*ck. It will make for some pretty intense content once I collect on this favor and I may have just met someone, other than myself, who might be willing to film some of my videos...better than I can...although, I have a camera that is almost as good as hers, except a) I don't fly mine on a drone and b) I don't use mine to film my YouTube content...but I should. I've been using my phone....but why wouldn't people want to see my hitches tied in Ultra 4K? Hmmmm? Hmmmmm?

THE END (true story)

Last edited:
@flushcut With her camera and drone? Yes, and I didn't even use protection when I man handled them. But seriously, I'm already in love with someone else who tickles my proverbial fancy at a magnitude world's beyond what this girl ever could.. She was nice, but nothing romantic. She poses a great opportunity for the development of digital media, though.

EDIT: Were you asking if I fell In love with my girlfriend? I just realized that I may have misunderstood your question. If so, the answer is unequivocally "yes."

Last edited:
@flushcut With her camera and drone? Yes, and I didn't even use protection when I man handled them. But seriously, I'm already in love with someone else who tickles my proverbial fancy at a magnitude world's beyond what this girl ever could.. She was nice, but nothing romantic. She poses a great opportunity for the development of digital media, though.

EDIT: Were you asking if I fell In love with my girlfriend? I just realized that I may have misunderstood your question. If so, the answer is unequivocally "yes."
I was talking about falling in love with the drone girl.

SHORT STORY about a Very Friendly, Extremely Easy On the Eyes, Rando Quasi-Stalker from my Apartment Complex...

One of my neighbors (who I didn't know existed until today, but who has watched me from her apartment balcony doing tree climbing and making content...or so she says) knocked on my door at an ungodly hour of the morning, and explained that she did photography and sometimes attached her camera to a drone, and she asked if I would be able to retrieve it because she hit a tree. I pondered how this girl knew my apartment number, but then my desire to help took over. I was like, ummm, "how high up is it and what kind of tree is it? Is it close to the trunk or out on a limb?" She responded by saying "it's pretty high up there," that she didn't know what kind of tree it was, and so I asked, "it's not a pine tree, is it?" "Yes, that's the one! Like a big Christmas tree."

Internally, I thought to myself, "f*ck my life. This tree probably has toothpicks for branches, sap draining from every orifice, and maybe one good union to launch a throw weight through...that is totally obscured by branches." She then pulled up footage of the drone just before and during its crash. It was pretty high up there, but nothing terrible. Maybe 40 feet. I could see that it was part of a row of multiple conifers. "Is it closeby?" I asked, not recognizing the trees.

"I'll drive you and I'll pay you, too, it's right up the street," she said, excited that I seemed willing. I said, "I need like two hours. I just woke up (what I meant was she woke me up). I need to eat and get my gear together." She told me her apartment number and once I was booted up and gear laden, I walked over and she came out and off we went.

Long story short, I ened up putting a line into the tree next to it because it had a really nice co-dominant top with a wide union to aim for, and it was about 15 feet above where the drone was in the other tree and also about 15 feet next to the other tree (from stem to stem). Then I used a grappling hook with a lanyard that I put a hitch climber pulley onto and an eye to eye for progress capture and pulled off some Reg Coates, Mission Impossible style maneuvering, double fisted two systems and used my foot ascender to move laterally and upward on the grappling line. Then I lanyarded into the second tree, tied the drone onto the end of my SRS climb line (I was on my Rope Runner Pro and my 200' Drenaline) and carefully began lowering it down.

This drone was pretty substantial and attached to the bottom of it wasn't your usual webcam sized camera. This was a full blown DLSR made by Canon. Before I lowered it, I took the memory card out and put it into my pocket so that at least she could have all of her photos and video if everything went south. She had given me the lens cap to place on her expensive camera before I went up, so I did that as well. Thankfully, it didn't go south. My original TIP was rock solid, so I had peace of mind throughout the adventure. I undid my grappling hook and put it on my harness along with the lanyard for it. I then had to do a very exciting swing back to the other tree. Then I rappelled to the ground. The whole ordeal took about 45-60 minutes, with 20 min getting a line in. I told her she could repay me by taking drone footage of me climbing some day. That would look pretty sweet. She agreed.

I pretended to be pissed that I got sap on my rope and she laughed and I laughed. Except, I actually was pissed; not at her, but at the situation; but I hate confrontation and I felt like my sappy rope was worth it. She was nice. Gave me something to do...at the crack of dawn. Better than rescuing a feisty feline at least! That drone and camera combo was not cheap, so I felt pretty happy with myself. Besides, she must be pretty friggin' good at photography/videography for that kind of setup. The rotors on that quad-copter were as big as my hands and when she tested them to check for damage, they sounded powerful as f*ck. It will make for some pretty intense content once I collect on this favor and I may have just met someone, other than myself, who might be willing to film some of my videos...better than I can...although, I have a camera that is almost as good as hers, except a) I don't fly mine on a drone and b) I don't use mine to film my YouTube content...but I should. I've been using my phone....but why wouldn't people want to see my hitches tied in Ultra 4K? Hmmmm? Hmmmmm?

THE END (true story)
Wouldya? Couldya? Willya?

its always the photographers!

had one a few months ago (I may have mentioned this one)
I was doing a job, reaching clear over this ladies house with the rickety old bucket truck, and I hear a whistle, look around and see the customer out on the back porch with a camera, she asks if she can take some pictures, now normally I decline as its always horrible pictures and they share them on facebook making us look bad

but something was, well, off?

the lense, it was gray, then I get to thinking, isnt that the expensive cannon series? ok, snap away
we finish the job and she texts me a google drive with pictures, she took probably 100+ and edited all of them, really great angles and editing, all for free!

sorry about the black bars, screenshots i took, also can't share much more pictures as they have my company info on the side of the truck, already had issues with that once before!
Screenshot_20230529_105138_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230529_105214_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230529_105112_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230529_105052_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20230529_104959_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Back