How'd it go today?

The whole tree was covered in poison oak. Kept on gloves and sleeves. Didn’t touch my face. Avoided running the chain through it. Mostly Silky or just snapped it off. Washed with Tecnu upon returning home. We’ll see what happens over the next day or 2. Hopefully no rash.

Scrubbing is an important component of oil removal.

I wonder if you're thinking about it making less of a rut with the upper trunk, if you had sniped it.

Scrubbing is an important component of oil removal.

I wonder if you're thinking about it making less of a rut with the upper trunk, if you had sniped it.
That is part of it. It’s not a big deal as that area is getting ripped up for a new drain field in a month but it would have looked more professional

Took it easy today. Had a bit of a rough morning, but managed to get around some & clean a bunch of drawers out this afternoon & trash a bunch of "stuff". It's amazing what can accumulate that I think I might use someday...then never do.

This caught my eye...did you mean poison ivy? Didn't think poison oak ranged into Maryland?
Probably. Looked like poison Ivy. Homeowner insisted it was oak and had some good general knowledge and had seen it in leaf. He may be wrong. I don’t think I’ve seen poison oak or sumac here, just poison Ivy.

56A1805D-F9DB-4244-BCE5-029EF016D0D8.jpeg

Staying busy. 80 yr old woodworker died and his daughter and son-in-law had a sale to clear out his shop. I got a new router table at a good price, so I can give away the old, homemade one I dubbed “The Antichrist”. Photo is of my new-to-me Canadian made, Jessem router table

Local club had sent out e-mail notices to 375 members from NJ, DE, and MD. I could tell the kids knew nothing about the tools. Met them early and once I bought the router table I stayed and helped sell for five hours yesterday. Sold a lot of the items, but at the end of the day there was still a good number of items there. They offered it all to me at a bargain price. Next Saturday I’ll bring my trailer and friends to move the tools out of the 2 car garage and sweep it clean.

I could tell the kids knew nothing about the tools. Met them early and once I bought the router table I stayed and helped sell for five hours yesterday. Sold a lot of the items, but at the end of the day there was still a good number of items there. They offered it all to me at a bargain price. Next Saturday I’ll bring my trailer and friends to move the tools out of the 2 car garage and sweep it clean.

Pat's Karma is bulletproof. He makes Mother Theresa look like a thug :rockhard: ;):rockhard:

Me today, after getting up at the crack of dawn, phone calls, estimates, assistant teacher, 6 hours chipping storm debris (throwing out my back) and never seeing dinner at home till after 9pm; after helping milk goats, shuffling equipment and kids activities, all week because we had a break in the weather.
Time to take my daily drive to check road condition for tomorrow once the weather clears. FB_IMG_1679254497764.jpg

Finishing out the maple went pretty well. Not too much derping around. Not smooth enough to impress Burnham, but it was good enough to impress the natives. The carnage...

IMG_20230319_145230738_HDR.jpg

@Treeaddict

The neighbor needs the maple removed. It isn't something I'd tackle by myself, but if you wanted to bid on it, and think it's doable, I'd help you out. I don't like it. It's a sprawling mess with a lot of dead, and a lot of targets. If he wants the wood gone(I don't know), That would be a full stop imo. There's a ton of wood there, and the job needs a chipper, a trailer, and a mini. Access isn't great, but doable if we had the above gear. I'm posting here so you can see the full res pics. SMS sucks. The disaster in question can be seen above, and here...

IMG_20230319_145319231_HDR.jpg IMG_20230319_145314682_HDR.jpg

Part of the tree broke out last year or the year before, and hit my guy's house. He's been put on notice by insurance that any future damage from that tree will be payed by his insurance.

Paid by his insurance, maybe personally. Not sure how that works if you have something like a tree you know is bad, but didn't do anything about it. Maybe his insurance could go after him? My guy's insurance paid as an 'act of god', but since everyone knows the tree's bad now, god isn't involved.

edit:
Sorry. What I meant by "his" was the neighbor. My guy's insurance won't pay on that tree anymore.

I'm sure I could rent everything, but that pushes up the price to having an actual tree company do it. At that point, it's just a low paying job with a lot of liability, and not much fun stuff to do.

@lxskllr We can sure take a look and quote it!! Will be good to work with you again!

Tackled my most “technical” job to date today. The conifer uproot with canopy stuck/married in a maple. I worked my original plan with minor deviation. Added a second guy wire to the left and climbed with only one overhead tie in point in lieu of 2 due to angles.

Removed a section of fence.
Once the tree was braced by a 6x6 and 2 ropes (one come along and one to a portawrap) I set a line in the adjacent maple. Climbed to the union and put the pole saw to work. Absolutely NO limbs made it to the ground. All 15 cuts resulted in hangars. It was like building a squirrel nest in the nearby holly. I cut the smaller co dom and let it slide to the near vertical position. The hands on homeowners dad pulled it out of the tangle. Did the same thing with the other lead. Made a felling cut and slowly let out rope from the come along a portawrap in an alternating pattern. Butt tied the “spar” to the stump so it couldn’t hit the fence if it broke loose.

I couldn’t have done it without you guys and gals!

The owners father shook my hand and patted me on the back saying “very well planned and well executed. Very safe and effective”. Home owner very happy. Hopefully I’ll take down her other standing dead and maybe do some work for her dad.

Maybe I over thought this but it was at least I got to use some of the techniques I’ve read about here or seen on YouTube and proved them. More tools added to the mental tool box.

Like they said on the A team show “ I love it when a plan comes together”.

Attachments

• 018E4D53-2BE4-47AE-BA9D-BEE0C065E9D4.jpeg
    018E4D53-2BE4-47AE-BA9D-BEE0C065E9D4.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 10
  • 723D51B1-6AEA-42CC-A61B-8806FDB45BF1.jpeg
    723D51B1-6AEA-42CC-A61B-8806FDB45BF1.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 10
  • 35FB49E4-5E29-49FF-830E-E9C6CAFFB349.jpeg
    35FB49E4-5E29-49FF-830E-E9C6CAFFB349.jpeg
    4.6 MB · Views: 10
I'll get the guy's number, probably this week. You're in charge of estimating. I have no idea what services cost.

edit:
Actually, first I'll find if he wants the wood gone. That would be a show stopper, right?

Back