How'd it go today?

More of the cotton weed mass killing today. Crane was giving me fits. Two block switch got wet and was sending an error code. I pulled it off and dried it in the sun while the guys did other stuff. Working fine now and will have a new one tomorrow morning. I’ve got two more picks and then done for the day. Well almost. I have to take pics of the parking lot where they hit it with the grapple🤬

Had some rain today, so I worked a bit on that oak. Got to give the 490 a good workout. I think I have the tuning close, but the saw doesn't excite me. It's ok, and much better than the poulans, but it's my least favorite echo. Not much in the way of balls. I'm also not digging the .325 chain, and I've gotten a good refresher on why I don't use full chisel. I spent almost as much time sharpening as I did cutting. 78 drivelinks. Seems like it takes forever to get around the loop. I don't know why manufacturers have to be such dicks about making ⅜"lp available on longer bars/bigger saws. That saw would greatly improve with ⅜"lp chain on the 20" bar. Reading around, it looks like a rim might be able to be acquired, but I dunno about a 20" bar.

Oh well, even as my least favorite echo, it's a good saw, and more than worth the $125 I paid. I'm certain I used it more today than the previous owner did ever. I also picked up a Fiskars light splitting axe. I tried Treeaddicts, and was impressed with how it worked, and the plastic handle didn't feel completely atrocious like it has on tools past. I couldn't find the X25 close to the office, but I did get something very similar, just not X series. Dunno exactly what the differences are, but this axe splits great. It'll live in the truck for times the maul/wedges are too much. The plastic handle won't distort while crammed in the truck either. Pretty good day. I've got about ⅔cord of wood split and stacked so far for the boss' daughter.
That saw would inprove with a shorter bar with 325 than changing it to 3/8ths. Just saying. 16-18" bar for the win. Semi chisel.

I'd prefer ⅜"lp. That should turn it into a lightning fast cutter. Could also make it a good "big" saw in-tree with a 20" bar. A 261 might even pull a 25" bar with lp chain. Not sure this one would without more modifications.

Had some rain today, so I worked a bit on that oak. Got to give the 490 a good workout. I think I have the tuning close, but the saw doesn't excite me. It's ok, and much better than the poulans, but it's my least favorite echo. Not much in the way of balls. I'm also not digging the .325 chain, and I've gotten a good refresher on why I don't use full chisel. I spent almost as much time sharpening as I did cutting. 78 drivelinks. Seems like it takes forever to get around the loop. I don't know why manufacturers have to be such dicks about making ⅜"lp available on longer bars/bigger saws. That saw would greatly improve with ⅜"lp chain on the 20" bar. Reading around, it looks like a rim might be able to be acquired, but I dunno about a 20" bar.

Oh well, even as my least favorite echo, it's a good saw, and more than worth the $125 I paid. I'm certain I used it more today than the previous owner did ever. I also picked up a Fiskars light splitting axe. I tried Treeaddicts, and was impressed with how it worked, and the plastic handle didn't feel completely atrocious like it has on tools past. I couldn't find the X25 close to the office, but I did get something very similar, just not X series. Dunno exactly what the differences are, but this axe splits great. It'll live in the truck for times the maul/wedges are too much. The plastic handle won't distort while crammed in the truck either. Pretty good day. I've got about ⅔cord of wood split and stacked so far for the boss' daughter.
Bummer, I’m sorry man, that’s the chain I recommended?
I use it on my 026 and 034 and think it cuts pretty fast, but it doesn’t tolerate dirt at all and it’ll lose its edge in clean hardwood after a few hours I think.

I got a Fiskars X-27 splitting axe, and love it. I’ve always thought Fiskars stuff was homeowner grade gardening tools, but that thing is well designed and well made. A lot easier to swing than the 6lb maul, and splits better.

I knew what I was getting Jonny. No worries. Price was good, and anything's better than the Trilink it came with. There's no functional problems with the chain. It's made well, and appears to have good geometry to my untrained eye. I'm just cutting in dirty conditions, and as soon as the corner on chisel folds, you're pretty much done. It's probably 25%/75% me/conditions for reasons the chain's dulling.

It'll give me a chance to decide what I'm gonna do with the saw. If I stick with the .325, I'll get some Stihl semichisel. It pisses me off that TPTB have decided that once you're >45cc and 18" you can't use lp chain anymore. I really like that chain for extending the capabilities of smaller saws. I think it cuts great. I could go with a smaller bar like Stephen suggested, but then I'd be treading on the territory of my other saws. Guess I need to figure out where it's place is. I'm thinking a "big" office saw, since my smaller poulan is wearing a 16" bar, and does pretty good with it. The bigger poulan is a turd. That's pretty much my trash saw for abusing on things I'd prefer not using my good saws on. Stumping, maybe cutting roots. Really dirty stuff.

That's something I want to try, but haven't so far. I was finishing up with the pack away sharpening when it occurred to me. Maybe try decreasing the angle going forward, and see how it manages.

I’ll probably put one on the grinder as a tester. Gonna take some time though. Will probably take off a few degrees and cycle the chain through 3 times as to not generate too much heat to cause temper loss.

I got a Fiskars X-27 splitting axe, and love it. I’ve always thought Fiskars stuff was homeowner grade gardening tools, but that thing is well designed and well made. A lot easier to swing than the 6lb maul, and splits better.

I have one too, all I gotta do is try it :|:

A tip: When you close the scoops there is a spot where you need to lift the scoops up and then lower them backdown as you are closing them. You will see what I mean. But you can scrape a grass surface virtually clear but not harm the grass. Congrats !

Talking about Fiskars, I have the second most expensive polesaw/pruner from Canadian Tire that is light years above any of the Yardworks poles I've had in the past. The oblong pole sections feel stronger and the locking mechanism works better than the classic wingnut/clamp combo.

I also have Fiskars loppers that also have the oblong shafts which feel unbreakable but the extension mechanism on the handles was a little bit Mickey Mouse and fell apart fairly quick. I was able to reassemble it but am now gun-shy to extend them again.

A guy from work is scaffolding with a Fiskars hammer and hasn't complained yet. Go Fiskars!

Holy shit! Hope you avoid lasting problems. I've had a few myself this year, but nothing more than itching so far. I was gonna get permethrin for that wetland job I've been doing, but I read it kills cats. Dunno if sprayed pants in the morning would affect my kittiots at night, but I don't think I want to risk it.

I'm calling it good for the girl's firewood. A bit shy of a cord...

IMG_20220615_114934177_HDR.jpg
Covered. I need to finish guying it. Have to scrounge bailing twine...

IMG_20220615_122158434_HDR.jpg

The axe is amazing. It splits like a dream. I'm warming up to the saw also. I think I was expecting too much from a 50cc saw cutting oak. It starts easily, and runs great. When I'm bored, I might see about modding the muffler more. So far, I've just removed the spark arrestor and pipe. Maybe open it up some more.

Y'all think this wood will be ready enough for open hearth burning this winter? It'll be suboptimal for sure, but it's mainly for ambiance burning I think. I just hope it lights and burns without being a major PITA.

Back