How'd it go today?

Got my saw today. Virtually brand new, but doesn't borecut for shit. Any ideas?

IMG_20220605_132114231.jpg

Checkout the spark arrestor. Barely looks used. I removed the tube that was inside also.

IMG_20220605_192912559.jpg

It has a crappy aftermarket trilink chain on it. I'm guessing they trashed the first chain, bought another and trashed that, then said "This saw sucks!" and put it aside. I cleaned it up, and halfass sharpened the chain. I need to decide what I'm gonna do. I think I'd like to convert it to ⅜" or ⅜"lp, but I haven't fully decided. I need to spend some quality time in wood first. I got a fantastic deal for $125. My first craigslist success!

edit:
I also went up to Mike's to help him take a limb down on his tulip poplar. He didn't need my help, but it was cool seeing him. Did my first portawrap work. I think I should have let it run more. The friction was greater than I expected. I was expecting a bigger pull than I got, and I was holding too tight. It was a good day.

Last edited:
Got my saw today. Virtually brand new, but doesn't borecut for shit. Any ideas?

View attachment 121231

Checkout the spark arrestor. Barely looks used. I removed the tube that was inside also.

View attachment 121232

It has a crappy aftermarket trilink chain on it. I'm guessing they trashed the first chain, bought another and trashed that, then said "This saw sucks!" and put it aside. I cleaned it up, and halfass sharpened the chain. I need to decide what I'm gonna do. I think I'd like to convert it to ⅜" or ⅜"lp, but I haven't fully decided. I need to spend some quality time in wood first. I got a fantastic deal for $125. My first craigslist success!

edit:
I also went up to Mike's to help him take a limb down on his tulip poplar. He didn't need my help, but it was cool seeing him. Did my first portawrap work. I think I should have let it run more. The friction was greater than I expected. I was expecting a bigger pull than I got, and I was holding too tight. It was a good day.
Damn greenhorn! Most brush drops and first wood drops can be handled with one wrap. Plus bigger diameter lines = more friction. Lay the line out nice and straight leading into the porty. And you can use the drag friction of the line to your advantage. Farther back from the porty is better than up close. Watch the piece as it starts favoring the face hold hold and once the piece starts to become vertical that is when you let it run. Loose grip on the line at first then gradually increase firmness of your grip on the running end. And all that happens in about a second and a half maybe two seconds. Just my $.02

Got two loops of that chain Jonny. I'm not a big fan of Oregon, and I usually prefer semichisel, but that'll give me a good chain, and a hot swap spare til I figure out what I'm doing. Carlton from Baileys costs more than that.

edit:
BTW, I touched up the rakers on that trilink chain, and had the same issue I did with the trilink on my trash find poulan. Some of the rakers were hard as diamonds, and the file would just slide across the top. I didn't notice that problem with any cutters on either saw, but some of the rakers are almost untouchable. I could visually tell which would give me problems. The hard rakers were shinier.

Last edited:
Damn greenhorn! Most brush drops and first wood drops can be handled with one wrap. Plus bigger diameter lines = more friction. Lay the line out nice and straight leading into the porty. And you can use the drag friction of the line to your advantage. Farther back from the porty is better than up close. Watch the piece as it starts favoring the face hold hold and once the piece starts to become vertical that is when you let it run. Loose grip on the line at first then gradually increase firmness of your grip on the running end. And all that happens in about a second and a half maybe two seconds. Just my $.02

Also, it can work nicely to back far enough away from the porty to have enough rope between you and it to allow all the run you will need. Then instead of trying to let the rope slip through your hands, take a firm grip and walk or trot towards the porty as the piece starts to fall, and then gradually slow down to catch the piece gently.

Last edited:
Also, it can work nicely to back far enough away from the porty to have enough rope between you and it to allow all the run you will need. Then instead of trying to let the rope slip through your hands, take a firm grip and walk or trot towards the porty as the piece starts to fall, and then gradually slow down to catch the piece gently.
This is how it is done. 👍
Try and keep your arms straight ish too - if you have bent elbows and you get shock loaded then the “snap” of your arms straightening will bloody hurt and I guarantee you will drop the rope.

Back