How'd it go today?

Currently freezing raining out. Not sure if I'll go into work or not. Won't be first thing for sure.

Going to have a laborer helping around my house today. Landscaping and such.

Hope to prune an elm or two.

Chilling today mostly.

Probably burn a pile of brush or two for warmth for the laborer. About 20⁰ or something.
Dry is good...rain tomorrow.

Just a crap day with worse weather. Winter blahs combined with being burnt out on ROW work. Eating lunch and trying to find something up lifting on the radio.

Good luck with that. The classical station is asking for money. Everytning else is pretty much shit. Good thing for my phone, or there wouldn't be much to listen to.

Average day. I did score some ash while the boss was talking to the dirt guy on a job. Hoping to get more later. Good cause it was dead, and it dries pretty fast. I'm getting low on dry wood. Got my bar stuck cutting the limb down, but was able to wiggle it out.

IMG_20220225_145208.jpg

Afternoon was a bit better. Got that section of ROW done. I’ve got two oaks to rig out tomorrow and one monster that we haven’t figured out how to do the clean up on. That one can wait till next week. The end of March will be here soon enough and I can relax. I’ve got the griddle warming up so I’m off to make dinner now.

There was an old black guy that used to ride around town on a mower. Probably mowed lawns for money. What I remember most about him was the huge bulge of tobacco that was always in his cheek. He's certainly dead by now. It was a different town back then. You wouldn't see that today, and the cops now would probably hassle him for riding a mower around.

There was an old black guy that used to ride around town on a mower. Probably mowed lawns for money. What I remember most about him was the huge bulge of tobacco that was always in his cheek. He's certainly dead by now. It was a different town back then. You wouldn't see that today, and the cops now would probably hassle him for riding a mower around.

No doubt some Karen just had to fugg with him.

Why will the end of March be relaxing, Treebilly?
:dontknow:
The bats return. I couldn’t find the proper emoji for this. Although a local BCMA told me this was found to be false, a few types of threatened bats supposedly hibernate in caves during the winter and nest in certain trees from April 1 till October sometime. Certain contracts have to be done while they’re wintering because of this. Of course they always wait till February to release the contract so it’s a huge rush to get it all done. And just when you think you’ve got it done, they throw another 10-20 miles of ROW on us. I shouldn’t bitch. We get a lot of overtime in the months that most others in our area and profession are lucky to get a few days a week. Every year I get this way.
also the end of March is when I go to the Craneman Inc crane climbers class. It’ll be nice catching up with friends.

After work, removed all the dead wood and broken branches from a neighbors tree. Decided to use my 15’ lanyard as a drt climb line and 7’ buck strap for double tie in when using saw and as well as a tie in when advancing the climb line. This was the first time using that technique. Went well.

Practiced rigging with slings to control drops. Only got a few in before fumbling 2 out of the 3 slings out of the tree😡. Now I can’t say “never dropped anything out of a tree”!

Attachments

• 9684DE62-23DC-4329-9AA0-6419C0337EA2.jpeg
    9684DE62-23DC-4329-9AA0-6419C0337EA2.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 5
Speaking of a different town... The old school surveyor that did most of the stuff in the county had his house on what I guess was the outside of town, but there was a mall across the way as long as I remember, so the town had been slowly growing for awhile. He had cows on his property, and his will said they had to live out the rest of their lives on the property. For a good while after he died, the town kept sprawling more and more, but there were the cows in the field in the middle of it all. Pretty funny. After they died, the rest of the property got turned into a shopping center. I'm pretty sure the house is still there, but is some kind of business now, but I don't pay much attention. Maybe it's gone. Sometimes I'll (infrequently)drive through town, and I see something that doesn't look right. Like something's missing, or was changed. Can't put my finger on it, but things aren't the same.

this is the only thing I can find quickly on Deaton...

From The Aegis dated April 21, 1988:

The future of what may have been one of the most valuable properties in Bel Air was up in the air this week 25 years ago.

Former county surveyor Glen Deaton, who owned a home and adjoining pastureland smack dab in the middle of Bel Air, had died recently, and local officials were trying to determine what could happen next.

Mr. Deaton had had several cows in the grassy field across from McDonald's, but only Betsy was left and she roamed the field near Harford Mall and the new Route 24. Mr. Deaton had been offered "large sums" for his 7.75 acres – part of the county but surrounded by the town of Bel Air proper – but kept the land for his cows.

Back