How'd it go today?

Fourth day of work since the collarbone break. Had a row of oaks and sweet gums to rig and cut along a customer’s driveway. Biggest red oak was heavy toward the house with nowhere to throw it due to trees behind it, so I had to climb it and limb/top it down. I’m whooped and feel like I’ve been hit by a truck, but I’m glad to be back at it.

Last edited:
Entire right arm is very weak from seven weeks of non-use. I have to be careful not to break it loose again. Hurts from base of neck to bottom rib on that side. I can reach above my head, but my right lat is very tight from not having lifted my arm for seven weeks, and my right trap feels like there’s a knife in it from not lifting that arm for seven weeks and now being tasked with lifting it a lot.

Yes I know it, but thanks for the reminder! I have to constantly remind myself. Oh, and yes, I am rather out of shape. I’m currently working a day, resting a day, trying to work back into it easily. Only had three non-climbing jobs and they’re now gone. So I’ll be climbing next week for sure, if not Friday of this week, though it’ll be easy stuff. No limb-walking for a bit yet.

Chipper Hydraulic hose broke during a big easy crane job, 10 gal of fluid all over the driveway, yee haw! Found it had been chafing on an edge that I hadn't noticed, dang it.

Later on, guys were more or less ready to quit because they were tired because they have trouble working with a powerful 18" chipper that does need minor finesse to get the most out of it- if I had a 20 or 21" chipper, yes it would eat everything without the groundies needing to think. And also because one of them got in a screaming thing on his phone in the middle of the job. They worked 8.75 hours today, they get time and a half every day after 8. Most days lately we work until 1 or 2 pm and they of course get paid for 8. Re chipping, Idk, they have trouble if i"m not there cutting for the chipper.

It's all on me. :boogie: :wall: :dude:

Always good to inspect wires and hoses, and everything really, because chafing and vibration damage is a real thing. Very common on stump grinders. Loose bolts should be tightened even if they are not at risk of falling out, because vibration could wear them through.

You could put a dumbbell or two in a back pack, go for a walk in the woods, get in some pushups too.

Exercise bores me. I try to get my fitness from work. I've gotten out shape since my robot died. Very recently, I've been able to do the stakeout since the boss messed up his elbow, and that's been great. Standing behind the gun is boring. Boss sucks running the software though. I tell him my instrument man sucks as much as my rod man :^P Around the house, I also sometimes make things harder on myself just for the workout. I want to get something done if I'm expending energy, but it doesn't have to be through the most efficient means possible.

Hmm... We'll see. Not a fan of pushups, but maybe I'll do it for the lulz. I don't know what we're doing tomorrow. I could be on the gun or the stick depending on what's happening.

Any low tree branches near by, bust out a few pull-ups.

Or do air squats and if those are too easy, grab some of your tools or tool boxes and squat with them.

I like the idea of pullups better, but I'm usually in the middle of nothing. Pushups are more generally accessible.

If you have a very low 'bar' available, like maybe a truck bumper or tail gate open, you could do reclined pull ups.

Or, if you like the idea of TRX-type portable work out stuff (super easy to make DIY for free outta rope etc), you could do that and hook it to a truck or door or tree etc.

That's getting into doing pointless work though. I could shotput logs across the yard, or carry them in slings to get them out front. That's something I do, and I get something done at the same time. When my robot worked, I got a decent workout. Not the same as wrangling trees every day, but a lot of movement, and sometimes pulling myself around climbing on forms. Just standing in one place kills me. I like when I get a good day of treework. This past Sunday was nice aside from losing my sappie. Seems like the more I do, the more energy I have.

I’ll look into trying that, Gary. I’ve been doing sissy push-ups and pull-ups...standing push-ups off the edge of the counter...leant-back pull-ups using rope, a handrail, etc. Just don’t have the strength back yet for regulars. I have a Perfect Pull-up bar in a doorway in the house. I reach up and grab the bar and ease my weight into my grip every day. Can’t bear my weight yet.

Agree on sissy stuff. I do them, too, when I am coming back from down time to start back into proper strength training. Some mornings before a shower I stand in front of the bathroom sink, hold edge of sink and do 15-20 squats. Early in the AM I don't just bust into full-on squats...using the sink for some support helps wake up the body slowly. Then do some sissy pushups against the countertop, too. Light work like that is a good wake-up routine.

Back