How'd it go today?

Never use mechanical. I use a prussic or old-school tautline hitch. I’ll probably use my current prussic and toss it once that tree’s done. It’s due for retirement anyway.

Arborplex is my old school rope. I use Safety Blue or Yale XTC when using a prussic. Mostly Icetail for the prussic. Sometimes Beeline.

Fo you use a hitch tender/pulley thingy for taking up slack?

I’m tired, smell terrible, and I’m pissed off. Mad at myself. Moved the trailer tonight and somehow cut the wiring. Fixed that but it blew all the fuses in the truck for the trailer connections. PITA. Smell bad because I worked all day and the. Into the evening at home. Tired because I’ve been up since 4:30 this morning and working all day. I’m gonna finish this beer, drink a quart of water, take a shower, and go to bed.

I find when I walk into a store after a day of pouring sweat doing tree work, thinking I absolutely stink, someone will often say "you smell so good". Tree person olfactory fatigue, stop noticing the lovely tree smells and can only pick up the funk !

I was in a really posh deli in London once. It was full of rich mums and their pushchairs. I was at the counter trying to get some scran and one of them joined the queue behind. She turned to her mate and said can you smell that? Then they started commenting on the smell.

I got proper paranoid, as in my mind they were on about the hum coming from the sweaty Treeman.

So I was half way through an apology, and they then said oooh it smells lovely .

I’d been dismantling a Pine and a Cedar that morning.

I'm kind of immune to the smell of pine, but have had a lot people comment positively on it after logging or milling. Always women.

Woke up today with my back kinda sore. Not horrible, but I wasn't moving so great. I was on a job, and had to pull out my chainsaw(Yay!) to cut a callery pear that was on line. After doing that, and pulling the tangle of limbs out of the way, my back felt perfect. As perfect as it gets anyway. Not a hint of pain, and decent mobility. Work was boring aside from cutting the tree, but I'll call the day a huge success.

I was leaving the lot where I process firewood and service saws for a different tree company than I do the removals with. And smelled something burning as their huge grapple truck drove by. I wondered if the truck had something wrong with it, but it smelled too good to be an engine problem.

I looked in the mirror and saw smoke coming off the top of the truck. They had a load of Cherry, and one of the logs was smoldering.

Yea, that's about as hard as work gets. Looks like it anyway. I've only worked with stone a tiny bit, and never done anything like a building. Definitely wouldn't want to be doing it in summer weather.

treesmith, let us know which you think is harder, treework or brick work. And I assume stone work is harder than brick work

treesmith, let us know which you think is harder, treework or brick work. And I assume stone work is harder than brick work
I suppose it would depend on one's definition of "harder". I could handle the labor side of it. It's the sheer monotony of it that would kill me. You start out on your knees...progress to stooped over/knee-thigh height...to the sweet height of waist-chest...to stretching at shoulder height. He and I were discussing how all the old trades are dying out. The younger generation doesn't want to do manual labor.

Last edited:
Spent the morning in the crane man-basket passing gear to build scaffolds for blinding a 160' stripper tower for cse. For whatever reason the basket would spin like a top as soon as we left the ground which kinda sucked. Then the wind picked up so I'm holding the scaffold to steady the basket while I watch the boom of the crane sway 6' either way.
The operator noticed the basket was pretending to be a wrecking ball and shut the job down. Try again 6 a.m. tomorrow.

Back