How'd it go today?

have you ever been to the states? it plays a big part in the lives of pretty much everyone.
Everyone? Big part?? I think not.

A problem sure, as most drugs can be, but I'm not buying your premise, Kevin.

But I'm an old retired fart...what do I know.

Last edited:
I could wander around Buffalo or Niagara Falls for a week with a pile of cash and not find meth. Heroin or crack, probably make it 3 or 4 blocks before scoring.

Crack destroyed Niagara Falls, NY and they never seemed to bounce back after the late 80s. Still a few nice neighborhoods, but the whole downtown area used to be beautiful.

Everyone? Big part?? I think not.

A problem sure, as most drugs can be, but I'm not buying your premise, Kevin.

But I'm an old retired fart...what do I know.
I guess, I haven't been to a part of the states where the effects and aftermath of addiction isn't visible and present. I am sure there are some tranquil pockets here and there. Oregon, from my recollection seemed particularly hard hit from the small towns to the big city.

Seems drugs are everywhere, and yet nowhere. I know folks who’ve used drugs, yet have never been around anyone while they were. Not my crowd, as Burnham said. Matter of fact, I’ve never been around anyone who was truly drunk. I never wanted to lose control of my faculties, myself.

For the collapsing building, once it's all propped, they can drill the ground in the appropriate locations and inject liquid cement under pressure at different depths. That will stabilise the loose soil and the stone blockages. Basically putting a big boulder under the building. When it's cured, push on it and jack up the massonery. Then complete the walls and the pillars by filling the void or establishing a real foundation bits by bits under them.

I never wanted to lose control of my faculties, myself.
That's my own very point. I want to trust my mind.
I don't want to come at the beginning of altering it, even without knowing that it doesn't work the same way anymore.
Never drug of any kind, no alcohol on the work.
Not long ago, I noticed it again : a beer brought by the customer at the job's end hit me harder than I expected. Not drunk, far from that, but clearly affected. Just a simple beer !

Last edited:
Drugs ruined a working arrangement I enjoyed for 20 years.
He was a landscaper and would do everything under 10 ft tall for my customers: stump grinding, topsoil and seeding, mulching, garden installation, shrubs and flowers, grading, lawns, swales, irrigation, etc.
I would do everything over ten feet tall for his customers: trees.

End of each month we'd compare the list of the work and tally up the money, and simply hand one or the other the difference in cash.
My work changed a bit and I was not selling much landscaping as the trees alone were keeping me busy.

We had been close enough friends that he and his wife named his first son after me. He was always mild-mannered and polite and had a great rapport with customers.
Over the last year we worked together I'd see him less and less, but the work got done, so I didn't think much of it. Figured his life just got busy.

Toward the end he came by saying he was behind on his mortgage, no jobs, etc. So I said throw in with my crew and let's catch up on the backlog of tree work.
I paid his crew, and threw the funds his way to help him out. The next month it was the same sorry story... and then I find out his wife is leaving him due to drugs. He had cleaned out their savings. At that point I am out over $6k. This was long enough ago that that was a lot of money. I ended the work agreement.

And, on top of that a month or two later several of his customers called asking why I had not done their trees yet. I said I had stopped working with him as of months prior, and did they know he was having some serious issues. When they said that he asked for the money in advance, I recommended they call him and/or their lawyer. I went to his place and he was a bit out of it, not even apologetic, and actually a bit rude. I took a brand new OG 372XP, a beat up but useable commercial Honda mower, and a Husky concrete saw as a start of his repaying me.

Changed his number, moved, never heard from him again, except he did send his younger son by to ask to borrow the concrete saw. I laughed and told him I was sorry but it was sold to pay his dad's debts.

Saw his sister a few years back who said he had talked his mom into signing over her retirement accounts so he could 'take care of her'; screwed the other kids out of any inheritance.

Drugs are something I have seen destroy lives first hand. It has kept me away from even being curious.

Off to see my Primary Care Doc. The pre-procedure work up on Monday uncovered a complete Right Bundle Branch Block. Mom had it, too. Lots of fatigue and hitting a wall on long climbs. Looking at thyroid levels , too. Another day past turning 65 and realizing the warranty has definitely expired!! At least colonoscopy/EGD was mostly normal.
do you have many amalgam fillings? Looked into mercury detox? Andy Cutler Chelation - https://andy-cutler-chelation.com/?fbclid=IwAR31ijoCRhSLUb6KsBKet6mPuJJ-X9p3vjyoaE4uUo5bkTMK9HIoOBVdt7g

I try not to curry fools, but look again Murph. There weren’t any hinges to ‘blow through’. Those are spiraled walk-around cuts from crane picks. I think what looks like a felling notch is more likely a buttress cut off to either load more compactly, or to better effect the basal cut to free the bole from the stump.
html: </obvious statements >

Finally got to the pin oak at work. I didn't take pictures cause it was pretty boring to look at. Wasn't as much fun as I thought it would be. Holy shit those branches stick to everything. They're like greenbriars minus the pain. Wrapped in the rope, wrapped in my muff mounts, wrapped in my saw lanyard, wrapped on each other... Toss a limb, a piece catches, and it just hangs there. I threw most of the limbs at least twice :^D

It isn't really done to my satisfaction. I got all the lower stuff, but there's some dead wood higher up/farther out I didn't do. Had some pain issues in my right arm, and I just wasn't feeling competent today. Might tackle it again at a later date.

If anything demonstrates the value of srs, that was it. So much crap for the ropes to drag on really slowed the mrs down. Otherwise, my gear worked pretty well. Thanks for the bowline tip Sean! I sometimes get tunnel vision, and don't think of obvious alternatives. I should have come up with the bowline myself, but I just didn't consider it. The termination is an anchor hitch, cause that's the way it is. Not like I even use an anchor everywhere when I'm not climbing. I changed everything in the setup *but* that. Just didn't consider it :^/

edit:
Oh, and I bought a push mower today. Was driving by the consignment shop, and saw one out front. It was a Craftsman for $170. He had just put it out there. Self propelled, but I probably won't use that. It cuts, and that's good enough for now. The motor is a Briggs & Stratton Gold. You only have to add oil according to the sticker, not change it. Not sure how that works. Probably doesn't, but it's easy, and people like easy.

Last edited:
Replaced all these splash guard things on the underside of my daughter's car this afternoon, as well as the front grill pieces. They all fell off last week while she was driving on the interstate. $350 worth of plastic but I probably saved a grand by doing it myself. My neighbor, a Toyota service manager, got the parts for me for cost.

Car 1.jpg Car 2.jpg

Took care of a ~90’ partially uprooted sycamore today. It tipped about a month ago, barely hanging in an adjacent water oak. I set a 5/8” line in it and hooked it to my Ram and eased it up a pinch, just to know it wouldn’t fall when I cut it free of the oak. Had it down in just under two hours...and was quite happy when it was! Then took down a water oak, a white oak and a 90’-95” dead red oak. Home by 2:00. Getting lazy in my old age...

Last edited:
Split some more locust in my drive today. I'm saving some of the pieces cause I might make benches out of them. Hard to put them back together once split. Found a baby snake on the drive after splitting a piece. Not sure exactly where he came from, and I'm hoping I didn't hurt him. Might have been 4" long. He was cold, but still tried to act tough when I picked him up. I wasn't scared :^D I dropped him in the cavity of the locust stump. Should be a good place for him til he gets bigger. Good protection, and probably some decent food down there.

Back