How'd it go today?

I know you have been doing a lot of that kind of work and lived to tell the tale.
Hope to do the same.

Pretty good day. My back feels great. Just a little knot up high, probably from being tense holding my lower back in place. I celebrated by cleaning up a bit of bark and splitting leavings next to my drive. I put them out front around a bush I planted this winter. It's basically mud, so I figured it would be good to get some stuff on the ground. Two birds and all that...

Otherwise, I didn't do much. Got the new wesspur catalog, which is pretty exciting. They have some stickers inside this year. I like stickers. I can decorate my helmet now :^D

Any recommendations about drilling through an old bench vise? I wasn't sure if they are some extra hard metal or not. I need to put new pins in this one, probably vest to tap it and use screws to keep the big jaw screw from backing out. Someone apparently sheared the pins off.

View attachment 109645
Probably not hard but possibly cast iron so that's going to be abrasive and eat normal high speed steel bits so use cobalt or carbide lots of lube.

It should be good gray cast iron, as that's a machinist vise, a wilton so it's a very good one. The anvil part might be hardened, so dont drill there, but just about every other part should drill nicely. If I'm not mistaken, the pk ill stands for Pekin il, which is right across the river from me lol

Had 3 massive 20m plus gums to remove on friday. Only got 1 done and a few branches removed on another before I had to leave and go to another land clear site to drop 5 trees near power lines. Not fun when you only have 1 groundy as the others sent to another site to respray stumps with poison then turns up at 1.40pm and you have to leave at 3.15pm to head to the other site. back at it on monday with only 2 groundies again. Looking forward to 5 days off over easter although it will be taken up by tafe assignments and resting my sore back.

Had a good week. Got almost everything done for our contract. I have one to do with the crane on Tuesday. Had a heck of a windstorm Friday morning so I worked way to many hours the last two days. Ended up climbing a lot of broken hung up and uprooted trees to stabilize them till the crews could get there. Passed out sitting at the table last night and went to bed around 10. Slept till 9 this morning. It’ll be a lazy day since it’s raining out. Wife and kids are going to the movies and the only thing I need to do is pick up a couple of nail guns I bought from a friend. I also have to drop off a pole saw at the FD so one of our guys can do his community service from a DUI. Other than that, I might just do some more looking for a UTV. Checking local dealers has proven fruitless as everything in stock is sold already and they pretty much can name their price. Might wonder up the hill and talk to the old man up there for a while. Hear the same stories I’ve heard multiple times while sipping beers.

Wrapped up a stoopid hedge today. Been let go. Privet barely holding onto life. Reduce and start retrench to manage height. Width will be delt with as we see good enough growth. Ugly fugger right under primaries across from the middle school . Hit most of it with a lift, did the back corner ladder then SRT. to avoid angry Covid parents, teachers and traffic, we worked through the weekend. Hit a quick job afterwards. Lift goes back Monday after I hit the mistletoe over my driveway.
My old climber Mike and his new boss worked next door dismantling a good sized deodar next door. Over and Next to the primaries. Better him than me. Nice to kid back and forth. Old guy in the hedge in a bucket. Whipper snapper finally showing his SRT skills and use his certs.

I was all set to attend a guitar workshop "Ranger Doug" tonight and had to pick my Sister up form the hospital (dehydrated/stomach flu)...got home about 5 minutes after it was over :(.

It should have been recorded so I hopefully won't lose out on it completely.

Right now I'm waiting it out. It gets a bit better every day. Once this is done with, I've been thinking about starting a stretching routine, and see if it helps going forward. Honestly, what really feels good is climbing. As long as I'm not just hanging there, it feels great footlocking up a rope. I wouldn't want to do any work, or pull myself over branches, but maybe just going up and down a rope would help something. If nothing else, I'd get better at doing it.
driving is so detrimental. it sets me back to zero everytime and takes so much work to undo the damage it causes to my mobility. i really wish there was a more ergonomic solution to driving. like a stand up car, or a lying down car... i dont know. it seems there has got to be a better way than those back crunchers.

Driving hasn't bothered me as much the last couple years, but there's times I'm ready leap out of the truck by the time I get to the job. I've been meaning to screw around with the heated seats. I'd like to disconnect the ass warmer, and just have the lower back coil working. That feels pretty good, but my ass gets too hot.

Finished up my daughter's viola teacher's overdue fruit trees. Working on fruit trees, the first session after much regrowth after someone mutilated them, is always such an unpleasant task, in and of itself, IMO, but by the end, each looked good, or at least potential to look good.
driving is so detrimental. it sets me back to zero everytime and takes so much work to undo the damage it causes to my mobility. i really wish there was a more ergonomic solution to driving. like a stand up car, or a lying down car... i dont know. it seems there has got to be a better way than those back crunchers.
Are you in a new seat or broken down seat?

Subarus and Tacoma always had the wrong geometry for my body. Often it was tight psoas muscles needing released at least as much as the seats.

My girlfriend from way back had on-going back pain, until she got off her old futon and on a new mattress.
I can't sleep on an old guest futon without waking up after a terrible night's sleep.

Do you get body- work, which is like a live/ oil/ filter job on a car, part of basic maintenance.

Are you taller than average, or taller than the vehicles are designed for?

I can ride in my truck all day, but start getting uncomfortable, like the seat is side- sloping and my back is compensating, in a Subaru in an hour or so.

Saw this red oak yesterday that the wind had broken at a cat face about head high. A small tree in front of it “caught” it, keeping it just off the primary. It’s about a mile north of the house. Figured we’d lose power to it through the night but it surprised me and stood the night. Sent a pic to an engineer I know at Alabama Power, along with description and location, so he could dispatch a crew to take care of it. If not for the compromised trunk, I’d have rigged and snatched it down myself, but it’s pretty much going to bring the lines down. He said he’d put in a ticket. It’s still hanging over the lines and the road...

D421ADDB-650A-49D6-935E-AF9D407834E4.jpeg

My mower's screwed. Guess I'm gonna have to buy another one. I wanted to get it started, so I tried cranking it over. It ran a little bit, but needed more encouragement, so I pushed it in the driveway to make it easier to hook up a charger, cause the battery was getting weak. Hook it up, and nothing. The ammeter twitches when I turn the key. I suspected it was some kind of lockout switch that got stuck/quit working, and I yanked around the shift lever hard, and now it feels funny.

I'm done with it. Between that, the carb, and the broken front axle, I'm not putting anymore money or effort into it. I might just get a push mower. Dunno. I've already wasted too much time on this crap, all to waste more time keeping grass short. Maybe just get my spreader straight, load it with rock salt, and fertilize the grass. That'll take care of the problem...

Oh, went to the building in the city today. It's still collapsing. They're trying to bolt it together...

IMG_20210329_121640.jpg

They also wanted us to start shooting the front. They think it might be leaning towards the street now. You can see the gap where it's peeling away from the building next to it...

IMG_20210329_115112.jpg

It's evacuated now. Big splits inside, and shit falling down. They found a space upstairs that got sealed up; kind of an attic, but finished. I'll be kinda suprised if this gets reconciled without tearing it down. It's gonna be a clusterfuck of litigation...

edit:
Oh, I also made an inspection of the shrubs I planted at work. The forsythia's AWOL. Can't remember exactly where I planted it, but I know the general area, and I don't see anything. Maybe deer ate it. The leatherleaf viburnum was also missing all it's leaves. I think they might have been eaten too, but it's getting new leaves. Hopefully they last long enough to keep the bush going.

Last edited:
Back