How'd it go today?

Woodpiles tend to contain quite the abundance of life, it seems to me- mice, snakes, BOBCAT babies, spiders and misc insects. My dogs sniff my large outdoor woodpile as if it is chock full of interesting info about other creatures comings and goings.

I've found lots of snake skins in my piles. Pleases me. I'm in a suburban hellhole, and my property is a refuge amongst the sterile coverless lots.

Know what's funny? I also have a lot of spiders in my piles. I don't particularly like spiders, but I take the time to knock them off before bringing them to the inferno. Anything that eats bugs is my friend, cause as awful as spiders are, they're better than the alternative.

Up at 3:00 am to get a brisket in the smoker. Should’ve put it in last night but I fell asleep. It’s a bit after 4:00 am now. Either time to start sharpening saws, splice another eye in some blue moon, or organize my workbench. Since it’s Sunday I might go to St. Mattress of the Pillows and pray for help in that decision😎

Had to drive to the office to get some 60d nails and chasers for tomorrow. Meant to stockup Thursday, but forgot. To save it from being a complete waste of time, I brought home a load of ash. Did some comps to get ready for tomorrow, and now I think it's beer time, or maybe whisky. I'll have to decided in the next 30 seconds or so...

Dave,
I hear the highs will be in the 20s next week... of course, just in time for me to head out there.
Actually, I was looking at the lows!! Low to mid 30s, - much better!!
At lease there's not too much snow forecast for Livingston County at the moment.

We are clearcutting a lot of patches of dying ash trees, so we have the ATV with us, to cut down on hiking.
So today I used the last half hour of daylight before going home, to give Thais dog some exercise.
He loves racing the ATV on forest roads and skid trails.
On the way home, he wore the most shit eating grin, totally drunk on endorfines.

Last edited:
2020's jobs ended under the rain. It was raining in my van by the water condensing under the roof ! I opened the back doors to vent a little, but when I took it again yesterday after two weeks of holidays, the wood flooring was all moldy.
Disgusting. And the engine was like dead, no one bit of electricity left in the battery. Wtf, a brand new battery, which I put in just after Christmas. I plugged my charger to resuscitate it, but it quit working during the day ! So I took the (smart) charger of my daughter's bike, but it's tinny and I don't know how long it will take to give a good load (24 h yet and still going).
2021 begins well !!!

Didn't do much today, but still didn't get home til 6pm. Boss wanted help fixing a fence charger and a leaking horse waterer late in the day. Not sure what to put on my timesheet. He always does that shit. If we worked on it earlier, I'd have lowballed the time, but now I'm way short on paid hours if I put exactly the time I spent on it, and still missing 2.5hr of my life, not counting the normal work time. What I might do is lowball the time, but in the future, charge him time for office/farm stuff I'd have otherwise written off. I don't really give much of a shit about the money, but that's kind of the consolation prize for losing time that's gone forever.

Well, the issue I have is if he called me on a Saturday to help, I'd have just driven up and helped, no charge. I don't expect payment for everything I do. A mercenary world isn't particularly appealing. Since I'd drive up on a Saturday, what makes Tuesday different? I also have more fun fixing fence chargers and waterers, than I do staking out wetlands, or some of the other dumb shit I do for money :^D

I'll probably see how the rest of the week goes. I'll start by billing a couple hours. If he pisses me off or something, it's easy enough to bump it up. My timesheets are pretty arbitrary. I account for my time accurately on my jobs since they're all T&M. His jobs are fixed rate for the most part, so I pad here, cut there. If he wastes a bunch of time before heading out, I'll split it up over his jobs, maybe taking a little off if I'm having fun screwing around on the internet or something. I don't worry about it too much.

I get that as well. My hours are padded a lot. I dumped on my way home tonight off the clock. I drive a company truck that I was told to use as my own. He bought me a crew cab so I could pick up my kids from school even. I also spend a lot of time at the local arb store off the clock to pick up his orders. I’d probably be there anyhow so no big deal.

edit: padded is probably not the right term. Either way I feel that I’m compensated fairly for my time

Back