How'd it go today?

Got a shit ton of tick nymphs on my legs, starting to burrow in D^:

Burning them with a lighter is working pretty well, though kinda stinky on the sections with hair, but there's a bunch of parts I can't see. So tired of this summer bullshit. If it never got above 50°, that would be just wonderful...

A beltsander maybe... I'm never gonna get all these things. I couldn't even estimate how small they are. Maybe .1mm?

They could be bird mites. I got swarmed by some once and thought they were ticks. You can get a swarm from being near or under a bird nest. They tend to not like biting people, but may, and supposedly can't survive the dryness of an air conditioned house for too long.

Maybe rub yourself with rubbing alcohol, that should kill them.

Dunno. They look a lot like ticks(as well as I can see them with a magnifying glass anyway). They're burrowing in head first. Heavier on my left leg where there was a hole in my pants. I might try the alcohol...

Good idea Stephen. I don't have that, but I tried some ancient Sloans liniment I have. It's turpentine based with capsicum, camphor, and some other stuff. It's lost a lot of its strength, but the turpentine still smells potent. I got most of the easy ones, but I'm gonna keep my eyes open for signs of tick death. That can't be good for them.

I’m not one for bug repellant...never cared for the stuff...but I bought some to keep in the truck for when we’re in pine thickets or woods. I spray my boots and pants below the knee liberally. It’s seemed to help. Interesting thing...I don’t get chiggers. Far as I know, I’ve never had one. Unless I’m simply impervious to them. I’ve had the guys I work with say they’re covered with chigger-bites and I have zero.

I /think/ I only got chiggers once. I don't know exactly what it was, but they were grubbing out a site, and I got hit by a cloud of needles. Holy hell they hurt. It was like getting chewed by pieces of glass. Only time I ever had that. My guess was chiggers, but I have no idea really.

edit:
The Sloans seems to be working. I found a couple more, and they came right off, and appeared to be dead. They might have died from other causes, but I'm thinking it's the liniment. Bonus is I smell like a pine stump. Not a bad smell :^D

Last edited:
Slight rain started today!! First rain in months.

Too much hearing pro can make it easy to ignore squeeks... New bearings and some midwheels on my Boxer. Replaced a few zerks.

Helped my neighbor with some Craiglist ing for his rental, and headed off some bad potential renters who came to look.

Cleaned up his shop some, troubleshooting some stuff on the rental to be fixed/ updated.

Maybe found him a good, retired couple, with show dogs.

Sold a tall Grand fir removal, dead...Pitchy bastards!!
Taller than the two good sized ones that I've done before, that were 150', and 160', 4 tops, a main and one secondary trunk. This has no nearby targets, thankfully. Only about 36" dbh, little taper, in a forest near a power line and building. No roping.

Never that advisable putting anything on ticks. They will vomit into you as they release & if you have Lymes disease in your area it increases chance of infection.
We have high numbers of them here, so I wear chainsaw and walking trousers with inbuilt gaiters when needed. They make external gaiters impregnated with repellent too.

Nice, Scott

Rich, when/where were you in CT??

For whatever reason, I've noticed very few ticks this season after lots of em last year

Cory, in 1997 I worked in a camp/resort in Greenwich CT near Danbury.

That place was called Club Getaway and I went there as part of camp America after I left Uni.

I worked in a maintenance crew there. It was a camp for Jewish kids mon to Friday and a Jewish shagathon resort for adults at the weekends.

Cory, in 1997 I worked in a camp/resort in Greenwich CT near Danbury.

That place was called Club Getaway and I went there as part of camp America after I left Uni.

I worked in a maintenance crew there. It was a camp for Jewish kids mon to Friday and a Jewish shagathon resort for adults at the weekends.
Looks like it's still a thing.

Good stuff, fellas.

Rich, I'm near Greenwich, stop in if you ever find yourself back at Club Shagathon!

Back