How'd it go today?

Mine are 4 years old and still OK - there is a window on the side which allows you to check (if the solution becomes discoloured then discard). Heat and UV exposure will reduce their shelf life significantly by all accounts.

Got called in on this ol thang. Limb broke out that I had told them would, but they never called me to schedule the prune. So a dent in the roof later, we lowered all the hazard dead on one side out. Now trying to book a lift for them to reduce the back side and some big dead on two other trees over the parking area. Vacation rental. Nice tree though.
Need 200 feet of line if you basal tie SRT with some redirects. 20200831_113455.jpg 20200831_113517.jpg 20200831_113545.jpg

Yup. Oaks are my favorite trees. I don't even have to give it consideration. I like big old yard trees that have had ample room to spread. They're interesting to look at, and they look good naked, or full of leaves.

Oh, and she scheduled a day with a lift. That will finish that back side up and get her two other trees over the parking area in the same day. Get them done before storms.
Then she wants me to get these down and mucked out. 5 years dead... bleagh IMG_1601.jpg

Oh, and she scheduled a day with a lift. That will finish that back side up and get her two other trees over the parking area in the same day. Get them done before storms.
Then she wants me to get these down and mucked out. 5 years dead... bleaghView attachment 103240
Fell from the ground with either bored back cut or Coos Bay, let the mess land where it does :evil:.

"I'm sorry, ma'am...if you'd called me in a few years ago we could have protected all that stuff underneath. But now it's not safe to even try. I could die in the effort, I'm fairly sure".
:D

Pretty much what i told her B. Gonna be damage. We'll take the fence down (barbed wire) for the one on the left and swing it about 20-30* if possible. The one on the right, cut a corridore in the brush in the favored lay. Plop. Make burn piles.

I saw a huge long time dead powdery rotten termite infested oak pole that was at risk of collapsing into a pile of dirt, but cutting it down would have made that huge mess a reality, so I figure best leave it be until it is someone else's problem since I din't have the equipment at the time to scoop up the remains.

With more and more privately owned forests here becoming FSC certified, we need to get recertified as machine operator ( Richard) and hand faller ( Me) once every 3 years.

So we spent the day doing that.
We need a"Yawn" smiley.

What's the point in that from a technician's point of view stig? I thought the FSC stuff was more or less forest management oriented.

Knowing what to be aware of when you work in the forest.

A good example here is historical remnants.
One part of the beech forest where I currently work is literally peppered with bronze age grave mounds.
It is a no-no to fell trees onto them or drive onto them with machinery.
In order to avoid that, one must be able to recognize them for what they are.

For that reason I saved that part of for later when my female apprentice is no longer with me.
She is challenged enough just by getting the trees on the ground without hanging them in other trees or scraping the trees that are left standing, causing lasting damage ( Scarring) to the logs.

There was nothing new in the course for me.
The mapping tecniques get better and better, so those working in machines have an electronic map on hand, and can now even get an APP that beeps when they are approaching a " watch out" zone.

Us old remnants of the past ( Hand fallers) just have to memorize stuff, which I'm good at.

Last edited:
Played hookey from work today.
Got my van washed and vacuumed to sell
Picking up my friend's can on Thursday for a song... Friend price.

Going to be a road trip mobile for the girls and me, as we find the time. Seats 7.
My lady drives a Prius. Not so roomy for 5, and without room for another friend or two.

Played badminton and Zombie Tag. Good times after a delicious dinner.

Back