How'd it go today?

Interesting point, I guess the higher prices we pay on fuel are because of taxes (In theory the revenues of which will go towards infrastructure etc.) whereas the higher prices you pay for epi-pens go into the pockets of the pharmaceutical companies and their shareholders.

Long time since we used gallons Brian.

Though mentally we still use fuel consumption in Mile per Gallon which is odd.

In France we/they use litres per 100 Km, which I cannot adjust to.

Thanks again Rajan. As soon as I read it I remembered.
Pruned some ornamentals today. Went to grab a skid loader from work to use at home and did a lot of swearing. Someone backed my favorite trailer into the log pile and broke the light. Spent an hour replacing it and resending the bracket. Also spent a bit of time hunting down chains and binders. Just ate dinner and I’m going to light a fire. Got some stuff to burn up before my middle daughters birthday party tomorrow. It’s been a good day

Was too wet to work on timbers today, so I tackled the blown out track adjuster seals. One hour to detrack, remove the idler, rebuild the adjuster, then reinstall the idler and the track. Thankfully nobody tried to help. Would have taken twice as long. Hopefully we won't have to put the track back on as often in the woods. 20200829_132349.jpg

There is more talent, knowledge and skill in the proverbial pinkie of this forum than all other tree work forums combined. Thanks for the gentle correction and reminder of what I have been taught before by amazing professionals and subsequently forgotten the finer details of the lessons. Yes 400 it will be and rounded diamond fish plates not square angles with the lines of stress!
Really I am a no body when it comes to welding Kyle, Bob, and Al Smith (tree09, blacksmith) are your guys. I just regurdge what I have read. I hardly ever deal with tempered steel.

The problem with knowing how to do stuff , being capable and having the tooling is... you are going to have to do it yourself. Hahaha is there ever enough time in the day?

I’m learning a wee bit too. 2 weeks ago I bought a little Forney 110V flux core welder, hear it’s a great machine as far as 110 volts go. So I’m dicking around melting little scraps together hoping I’ll be able to do a little exhaust work and maybe later rockers and corners on my rusty old F250. Easy to snag little bits of thin stuff from the recycle dumpsters at work, but I should try to find some actual exhaust components to practice on.

Holy shat... any of y’all ever order your motor oil from Amazon? I just got a 5 quart jug of Castrol GTX full synthetic for 18$ shipped free. The best sales from the parts stores can’t touch that price even for conventional oil.

That's pretty good. I usually get my oil from walmart. $16/5qt for the house brand, and somewhere around $22 for Mobile1(it fluctuates), both full synthetic. I need to start thinking about oil. I'll be changing it end of October.

edit:
5 quart, not gallon.

Last edited:
I usually hit up Wal Mart for motor oil, but I absolutely hate going in the store. Since the covid thing they closed the garden center entrance which means I have to enter and exit at the opposite end of the store, so I haven't bought any lately. Amazon sure looks like a great alternative now.

I get all my truck filters at www.fleetfilter.com. Buy $250 worth at once for 20% discount. I try to stock up rather than buying them one at a time here and there.

Back