How'd it go today?

1974 base model camaro. It has a 250 cid inline 6 cyl. and a TH350 auto 3spd trans. I have a Muncie M22 4spd manual that I'm going to swap in. The speedo cable was disconnected and I really didn't care, so I didn't even turn the GPS speedo on my android phone on. I just drove it like I stole it 🤪. My 16yr old son just got his official plastic driver's license and was driving the F350 as a chase truck the 18 miles home from the job and said that I was consistently doing 15 mph over the limit, in my defense your honor I was left unsupervised and felt a need to get this ride home before the previous owner changed his mind! BTW Who would have thought that a 46 yr old car with modern tires and wheels would be this quiet and handle this good. 1974 is the first year of the 30lbs per door of "safety " impact steel. Huge leaf spring and shock mounted 8mph bumpers. Not pretty but I can let my boys drive and not feel too negligent. The 1974 body was used in the 1975 IROC the first year that camaro was used. It was also the last year that had the steel fastback instead of the wrap around rear window. I like the fastback! I'm thinking keep the silver and do these spoilers. Screenshot_20200823-075658_Google.jpg

Last edited:
Glue traps arrived and I caught two mice and one chipmunk w/2 traps last night. Threw the chipmunk outside and he got loose...that's cool, long as he's out. Mice have moved on to another plain...

I was raised by a Ford man. That's not to say that he wouldn't drive a Mopar or GM, he just preferred Ford and always insisted on American made.🇺🇸 I'm truly surprised by how much better this stock camaro handles than my '68 fastback 'stang. I'm giving this one to my boys along with the 1996 F150 short bed 4x4 manual 5spd 4.9L inline 6 cyl. Aka 300cid-6cyl. and the bandit 90 chipper that I just bought. I want to send the 2 of them out into the world with a skill and trade that nobody can take from them or try to exploit by diminishing their value. # MAKE AMERICANS GREAT AGAIN (this is not an endorsement of Trump nor an anti immigration xenophobic slogan) . I'm the son of immigration legal and not and I imported my wife when we returned from the old country. I feel that we are cheating our children by not preparing them for adulthood with independent critical thinking skills and compassion for those less fortunate. Don't worry about the rich they are always going to do what's in their own best interest and will be fine. Worry about the working class and our needs as the vast majority(when you include all skin color and languages) and ask yourself if you are doing better than your father and if your children will do better than you. Ok I'm done with my Sunday sermon. #BUY AMERICAN! #MAKE AMERICANS GREAT AGAIN 20191228_214952.jpg

Fully agree, but buying American can be a little tricky these days. Which is more American; a Dodge made in Canada full of imported parts, or a Honda made in America full of imported parts? That's kind of a serious question. I'm thinking the Honda is the best bet. That's putting money into worker's pockets. Dodge, erm... excuse me, Fiat Chrysler is... located where again??

Fully agree, but buying American can be a little tricky these days. Which is more American; a Dodge made in Canada full of imported parts, or a Honda made in America full of imported parts? That's kind of a serious question. I'm thinking the Honda is the best bet. That's putting money into worker's pockets. Dodge, erm... excuse me, Fiat Chrysler is... located where again??
Ford😜

Might be. I'm getting to the point I need to start thinking of the next truck. I only buy used. I need something small. but big. Currently driving a dakota. It's the perfect size, but I could use some more ground clearance, and better gas mileage would be welcomed. Not sure what I'll end up with. Between the rust, and the age, I might have two more years left in the current truck.

Ram 3500...you won’t regret it...(forget the mileage...when you see what that Cummins can pull, you won’t mind feeding it...)

Every truck I owned was and is a Ford, except a used Mitsubishi Mity Max I bought to haul the stumper around, and one Dodge given to me when first wife up and left me with a 3 yr old and a 3 month old, and the bicycle business folded (five new stores in the same county opened). I avoided bankruptcy by selling the house, motorcycles, cars, and equipment, paid off the debts, and moved into a friend’s unfinished lakeside vacation house. I finished building it in exchange for rent until I got back on my feet. Another friend dying from a brain tumor insisted on giving me his mid-1970s Dodge rust bucket, three on the tree, straight six, with that typical-for-those-years, rusted hinge-folded hood .

Good of you to gift your sons the skills to always have at the ready. So many folks have no real hands-on skills these days.

John,
I’ve been happy with my 2008 Ford Ranger with full length bed, cap, and full length roof rack. i put air springs on it and it gets 18 around town or hauling trailer and 25 to 27 mpg highway, with 2.3liter 4cyl and 5 spd. Then again you might need 4wd if off-road for surveying... that drops the mpg to 14 - 17 range. 63518DC3-C979-4BCE-836F-79D894F74A87.jpeg

I've had my "head" leaning towards the ranger. I say that cause I'm unsure exactly what's being released these days. My requirements are 4x4, extended cab, and ~6' bed. I've worked out of a jeep cherokee, and I consider that the minimum specification. It's a little tight, but makes up for it with the small footprint. You can blaze trails through the woods without a lot of difficulty.

I’ve considered a Toyota 4x4 for the jobs where I’m climbing for other folks and don’t need the gooseneck or to haul a lot. Can’t justify the cost right now though.

Ram 3500...you won’t regret it...(forget the mileage...when you see what that Cummins can pull, you won’t mind feeding it...)
MPG? I always though 6cyl Cummins were pretty fuel efficient compared to Ford v8. I'd commonly get 16-24mpg in dodges towing or not, and like 8-15mpg in the fords, But the Dodges were manual too.

11-12 when not pulling. 9-10 when pulling. When I went to the other side of Atlanta to buy it, I got 18 driving back home empty. I guess I have a bit of stuff aboard....

Back